Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

V8JlWg5.jpg

The one cup that cannot be accused of sportswashing is back. The Deathlist Cup is a series of 100m sprints compared to the marathon that is the DDP, and has been won by all the deadpooling greats: deadsox, DDT, An Fear Beag, gcreptile, my good self, and Joey Russ. Will we be engraving yet another name on the trophy in 2023, or will someone finally become the first two-time winner? Here's the rules, which I've surely left an error c+p-ing from last year.

The Deathlist Cup

1.    This is a knockout tournament featuring one-on-one matchups between Deathlist forum posters. These matches will be determined by use of a random draw, using Random.org.

2.   Unless we happen to end up with 2/4/8/16/32/64 entrants, then certain competitors will get byes to the Second Round. This will be based on results from the 2022 Cup: ie, winners first.

3.    Players, on receiving their randomly drawn opponent, will have a ten day period to send the Referee their First Eleven for the match by PM, and one sub in case of an early death. These eleven picks can be very low hanging fruit if you so wish, as the point of the game is to score as many “goals” during the month a match is played.

ie, a perfect team would look like this

1. Adam Ant (joker)

2. Bob Backlund

3. Chelsea Clinton

4. Didier Drogba

5. Erika Eleniak

6. Frank Field

7. Green Gartside

8. Harry Hill

9. Ilias Iliadis (gold medal winner in the men's 81kg judo at the 2004 Olympics)

10. Joe Jackson

11. Kevin Keegan

subs

12. Lennox Lewis

13. Meghan McCain

14. Nick Nolte

4.    Banned picks – We're slightly  more lenient than the DDP, but we're still banning Famous For Being Ill, people on Death Row (unless they die naturally), anyone who is a prisoner of a terrorist organisation, animals, the under 18s, and anyone who is "missing in action" but blatantly already dead.

5.    Famous For Being Ill picks are those who have no notoriety outside of their cancer/other illness. If they played two matches for a Conference North team or they were mayor of a city in Kiribati back in the 90s, that's fine. If they're Joe Bloggs who is in a coma after refusing a covid vaccine or a Brave Parent Celebrating Their Last Christmas, they're not getting accepted. 

6.    If in doubt, submit a pick, but the decision of the ref (me) is final and is not open to any court of appeal. If you think it’s a dodgy pick, it probably is. 

7.    Each match will take place over the course of a single month. For example, a February match would take place from February 1st to February 28th, a March match from March 1st to March 31st and so on...

8.    Games will be scored in the following manner:

A person in your team dies = 3 points
A unique person in your team dies = 1 more point (ie 1 bonus point)
Fatality – Your joker. Double points

9.    Here is what happens in the case of a team member dying prematurely (ie on 28th Feb for the March game). If you discover this before the 3rd of the month, your top sub will automatically go into place. If it is discovered on the 3rd or after, sorry about your luck. If it turns out the person was dead and known to be (this is determined via a reference in a newspaper or magazine, not social media) then subs don’t come into play. This will upset at least one player a year. Will it lead to a huffy forum stormout in 2023? Let's see.

10.    At the end of the month, the player in the match with the highest score wins that game, and will advance to the next round. The player who doesn’t have the highest score will lose, and be eliminated.

11.    In the event of a draw, the following tiebreaks will be used:

1st tiebreak = number of hits
2nd tiebreak = average age of hits
3rd tiebreak = a coin toss 

12.    A player is only held to one team for a single match. If they win their match and advance to the next round, they may pick eleven entirely different people for the next round. In this way, folk who announce their terminal illness in, say, May, can be put to good dead pooling use.

13.    Qualifying obits? Every single English-language newspaper, magazine or significant website in the universe. Also Le Monde, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Die Zeit, El Pais, El Mundo and Corriere Della Sera. If they still can't get a QO from that, then they really weren't famous.

14. For the removal of any doubt, any players who do not send in their team before the deadline will be DQ'd and replaced by the highest scoring loser. No matter how many sad PMs you send afterwards.   
This draw takes place in Month 1 (ie January) and is for matches taking place in Month 2 (February). After the draw, each player sends me (via PM) a team of eleven celebrities (and some subs hopefully) they think will snuff it in Month 2.

Good luck and sign up to take part in this thread. Entries close on January 21 with the draw to take place immediately after.

• Like 5

Confirmed list of entrants:

1. SpadeCooley

2. ThereWillBeDeaths7

3. theoldlady

4. TQR

5. CalebH

6. deadsox

7. Captain Hemlock

8. Bibliogryphon

9. Grim Up North

10. Sean

11. Great Uncle Bulgaria

12. Pop_Zeus

13. Dying Probably

14. alt obits guy

15. justonecornetto

16. wannamaker

17. MariNisia

18. Banana

19. msc

20. gcreptile

21. Annami

22. MortalCaso

23. GuyFromFuture

24. Gooseberry Crumble

25. Sir Creep

26. JoeMoneypenny

27. An Fear Beag

28. DevonDeathTrip

29. Hell

30. The Old Crem

31. TheSpinosaurus

32. YorkshireBanker

33. Sideik

34. Liz Lemon

35. Perhaps

36. Wormfarmer

37. DeathByArsenic

38. diego

39. ladyfiona

40. CaptainChorizo

41. Il Magento

42. Famous6Eva

43. Arghton

44. BabyBlue

45. TheKillingTime

Cheers Spade. I shall also once again throw my ring into the hat.

I'll try to catch lightning in a bottle again.

I did better than expected last year so I’ll throw together a list later in the month.

I will play but won't submit for a few days to research.

Go on then, I'll go for it

I’m gonna retire from the cup on top. It certainly is an amazing game and I highly recommend people to play it, but for me I think there’s more to life than trying to find hospice names every month. It can get real depressing at times. Good luck to those competing

• Like 5

The Deathlist Cup 2022 was my first Cup.

It was nice to play with @ThereWillBeDeaths7 and the living legend, known as @msc:D

Yes, I want to play again.

@Spade_Cooley... count me in please.

• Like 2

In.

Living legend? Must remember that one.

I'm in. Though not for long with my current search skills.

I'll join, thank you!