Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

Underestimate Deadsox at your peril. He's beaten many greats in this cup.

• Like 4

And the 2023 Brian Deane award goes to General Pervez Musharraf. Musharraf was perhaps the true definition of "radical centrist" - he swung between supporting the Taliban during the Afghan Civil War to being one of Dubbya's biggest cheerleaders during the original War On Terror. He was a major figure in the Kargil War with India, but also during his time as leader began the most widespread talks on Kashmir with Pakistan's long-time bete noire. And he spoke at length of the needs for a "enlightened moderation" of Islamism and greater women's rights, but he also probably got Benazir Bhutto assassinated. A man of great contrasts, and another man of great contrasts is deadsox, who has contrasted with the rest of the teams in this round by actually scoring some bloody points.

theoldlady 0 vs deadsox 4

• Like 4

Hsing Yun is a hit here.

12 minutes ago, drol said:

Hsing Yun is a hit here.

Dying Probably behind to Joe Moneypennys Dying Certainly, apparently.

Hsing Yun was the second draftee to die in this year's cup, as well as being the second of the "Four Heavenly Kings" of Taiwanese buddhism to cark it. Hsing was effectively China's pet monk - he believed there were no such thing as "Taiwanese" people, advocated a "one-China" policy and was trusted by Xi Jinping to lead a project reviving traditional faith in the Chinese mainland. He'd been in ill health for something like two decades, and that's finally paid off for JoeMoneypenny in this round, leaving Dying Probably dying on his arse.

JoeMoneypenny 4 vs Dying Probably 0

• Like 2

DJ Bubba Bo Boulanger has died, hit for wannamaker:

https://www.wvxu.org/media/2023-02-05/remembering-eric-bubbo-bo-boulanger-radio-host-tvkiese

(Edit: He died on Friday, so steals the Bobby Deane award retroactively, so to say - if you go by date of death instead of reported day of death)

• Like 1

Bugger with him and Tongo being critical looks like the end of the road for me already.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

so steals the Bobby Deane award retroactively,

Brian's brother has an award too?

• Like 1

Ah that's a bit more like it. See, we're rolling in cadavers now. Eric Boulanger, aka DJ Bubba Bo, was a 40-year veteran of radio in the Cincinnati area, most notably playing country music to truckers working overnight. He's found himself on a different kind of graveyard shift now though, and wannamaker is trucking on with a four-point lead over Sean.

Sidenote: the only QO for Boulanger so far  has a brief throwaway mention of his son dying from a bee sting, but the link doesn't mention anything about that and I can't see any news stories about it from the time (2009). 

wannamaker 4 vs Sean 0

• Like 3

One of the unspoken rules of running a deadpool contest is that you have to leave the decent puns for those running the DDP and the DL frontpage. Thankfully, in the case of Burt Bacharach, there's enough to go around. That's what friends are for, after all. Yep, Mr Bacharach is no longer "anyone who had a heartrate", with the doyen of the American songbook finally succumbing to various long-time ailments aged 94. Pop_Zeus knows what's it all about - they take a four-point lead over Bibliogryphon.

wannamaker 4 vs Sean 0

Pop_Zeus 4 vs Bibliogryphon 0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Odd that all four hits have been unique.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deadsox said:

Odd that all four hits have been unique.

After posting this I took a look at the picks and saw that there are a lot of unique picks.  So maybe not as odd as I thought.

• Like 1

I went and took a three-day-long holiday, and still nothing? Whatever happened to the magic of the cup?

On 05/02/2023 at 12:02, msc said:

Underestimate Deadsox at your peril. He's beaten many greats in this cup.

Aye, and I think he beat me too!

Many a Deathlist Cup round has featured one outfit getting eliminated despite scoring more than 95% of the teams that make it through, and it looks like that particular luckless side will come from the theoldlady/deadsox tie this time out. Both teams score 3 points with the death of Tim Lobinger, a standout pole vaulter who consistently underperformed at Olympics level and so wasn't likely to get a DDP-level QO. However, plenty of Cup-level write-ups noticed his death at 50 of pancreatic cancer and the aforementioned teams, along with CalebH, do something few other teams seem keen on doing this round: score. Eight ties remain deadlocked at 0-0.

Great Uncle Bulgaria 0 vs ladyfiona 0

wannamaker 4 vs Sean 0

Famous6Eva 0 vs TheKillingTime 0

Hell 0 vs MortalCaso 0

Il Magento 0 vs CalebH 3

JoeMoneypenny 4 vs Dying Probably 0

theoldlady 3 vs deadsox 7

Wormfarmer 0 vs diego 0

Gooseberry Crumble 0 vs ThereWillBeDeaths7 0

Liz Lemon 0 vs TheSpinosaurus 0

Pop_Zeus 4 vs Bibliogryphon 0

justonecornetto 0 vs Arghton 0

GuyFromFuture 0 vs DeathByArsenic 0

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Many a Deathlist Cup round has featured one outfit getting eliminated despite scoring more than 95% of the teams that make it through, and it looks like that particular luckless side will come from the theoldlady/deadsox tie this time out. Both teams score 3 points with the death of Tim Lobinger, a standout pole vaulter who consistently underperformed at Olympics level and so wasn't likely to get a DDP-level QO. However, plenty of Cup-level write-ups noticed his death at 50 of pancreatic cancer and the aforementioned teams, along with CalebH, do something few other teams seem keen on doing this round: score. Eight ties remain deadlocked at 0-0.

wannamaker 4 vs Sean 0

Hell 0 vs MortalCaso 0

Il Magento 0 vs CalebH 3

Wormfarmer 0 vs diego 0

Slightly spooky that barely a few minutes after your post he got a Q/O

13 hours ago, deadsox said:

Yessir!  Garza was my discovery and I’m very glad someone had the wherewithal to roster him.  Well done @CalebH
Another link not that it’s needed https://www.sacurrent.com/arts/san-antonio-stand-up-comic-and-comedy-a-go-go-co-founder-larry-garza-has-died-at-age-41-31047631

Yep, CalebH keeps kicking balls into an empty net in their match. Larry Garza was a circuit comic in the San Antonio area who has turned up in every low-requirement deadpool on this site for the past three years, but CalebH managed to field him in the month when he finally got called off the stage for the final time.

wannamaker 4 vs Sean 0

Hell 0 vs MortalCaso 0

Il Magento 0 vs CalebH 7

Wormfarmer 0 vs diego 0

This seems like it might be a particularly slow month with a lot of zero to zero ties.  I guess that means a lot of matches decided by random coin flips, which is not particularly sporting.  I suppose all involved need to submit teams prior to knowing the outcome of the flips in case he/she is a winner?  That might be some wasted time and research for those not moving on.  

Based on my last rule suggestion (for a different pool) I have made a police riot shield to prepare myself for all the negative backlash that I will get for proposing an improvement on this (in my opinion).  A few 0 to 0 tiebreaker ideas: 

Fewest times joker was picked by other teams in that round

total score to date in the game (all previous rounds)

most solos on team

Age of joker (lower age wins)

lowest age of top (three, or other number) names on your list

Each of these could also be applied to ties in which the hits were the same on each team.  

I'm ready for you to fire your fruits and veggies . . . . 

My joker has been in the dying process for a whole month now and from a certain point it has seemed that he's probably my only hope. He's "deteriorated" atleast five or six times, in addition to "some old age-related chronic diseases" he's had massive edema, he has "stopped breathing", had pleural effusion, "spots on his heart" - what the hell does that even mean? ...and having followed facebook talk on him there's been atleast two times where they've been sure he's going to die and some family members have rushed to the hospital. The guy is ninety fucking six, not even a septuagenarian Bangladeshi politician like these types usually tend to be. I should stop picking immortals.

Andres Garcia is terminally ill, but was  said to be "fine" a few days ago. How's he alive? He's 81 and overdosed on coke three months ago while suffering from cirrhosis and cancer. 

With Enilce Lopez I likely fell into a Fujimori/El Bronco trap. Don't know how Sebastian Brodrick is alive but I assume he's mysteriously improved by now. Everyone else was a gamble, either terminally ill, very old or very old and terminally ill but none were guaranteed deaths at the start of the month.

However I think some of the zero to zeros will end in coming days. Would just need a couple of terminally ills or people over the age of 105 to die. 

I think it's just been an unfortunate month for the cup's opening round to take place. There was no big name on the table at the month's start for everyone to get easy points, there weren't really any British local media stories about "guy who played for League 2 team has weeks to live", and a lot of the Drop 40 names this time out seem much more liable to drop later in 2023. Still, we have to play by the rules given so on, shall we say, the 23rd I will draw the provisional "winners" of each currently tied match. Therefore people will know if they need to start thinking about putting a team together.

• Like 1