Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

15 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

If Denny Crum is a dead cert it's a bit annoying because whenever I tried to click on links to news about him I was blocked 'for legal reasons' - frigging Brexit!

I didn’t see any new news on Denny Crum since his health issues a couple years back.  I think it’s a bad pick and I’ve never been wrong (heavy sarcasm).

• Like 1

@diego good luck this round.  Hopefully we both score more than your previous round.

Am I correct that you are the 31:1 odds that didn’t choose Jimmy Carter?  Well I would thank you but maybe you know something we don’t.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MariNisia said:

I was just joking, @TQR. My chances are few.

Your team is very consistent and strong.

It's not a surprise, especially considering what a great player you are.

Aww that’s very kind! Very bloody kind, looking at my history in this game :lol:

Should be a good round, this. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to theoldlady for your sportsmanship.  Good luck Gooseberry Crumble!

• Thanks 1

Can confirm Diego is the only person not to have selected Jimmy Carter this round. I assume 31 picks is a record for a DL Cup round, anyone know what the previous title-holder was? Maybe George ComicBookDude from last year?

In total numbers, not a clue, but there was one round of sixteen where Marieke Vervoort was picked by every single team left. And survived the month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@diego boa sorte nesta rodada. Espero que ambos marquemos mais do que a sua rodada anterior.

Estou certo de que você é a probabilidade de 31:1 que não escolheu Jimmy Carter? Bem, eu agradeceria, mas talvez você saiba algo que não sabemos.

Thank you, Wish good luck to you too,As for Jimmy,Really I missed the news about him, I was outdated, I hope he survives this month at least

31 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Can confirm Diego is the only person not to have selected Jimmy Carter this round. I assume 31 picks is a record for a DL Cup round, anyone know what the previous title-holder was? Maybe George ComicBookDude from last year?

Does look like it, he was on 26 teams in March 2022.

Honorable mentions - Frank Field was on 24 teams in February 2022 (lol) and 23 in March 2022 (lol).

Peter Lorimer was on 23 teams in March 2021.

CBA to look before 2020 given the first few Cups were smaller.

• Like 2

My pick Christopher Fowler has died, see the Authors thread. Obit yet to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

My pick Christopher Fowler has died, see the Authors thread. Obit yet to come.

I saw the blog post yesterday...

Detective novelist Christopher Fowler, best known for the Bryant & May series of books, has been taken off the case aged 69. He was diagnosed with cancer on the exact same day COVID lockdowns began in the UK in 2020, which probably wasn't a great aid to his long-term wellbeing. gcreptile had obvious been keeping a file on the crime writer and goes 4 points up in their clash with Arghton.

Arghton 0 vs gcreptile 4

• Like 7

The death of Hollywood star Tom has confirmed what anyone would have suspected reading these forums: we're all a bunch of Size queens. There was no saving Sergeant Horvath this time out, and there were far too many hits to report them all. gcreptile goes 10 points up, Perhaps and Grim Up North, as well as TQR and MariNisia, all captained their way to a 6-6, and there has to be some congratulations to deadsox and Gooseberry Crumble for somehow keeping their clash at 0-0. Black Hawk? Down.

An Fear Baeg 6 vs Pop_Zeus 0 
CalebH 0 vs Captain Hemlock 3
BabyBlue 0 vs Annami 6
ladyfiona 3 vs DevonDeathTrip 6
Perhaps 6 vs Grim Up North 6
GuyFromFuture 0 vs CaptainChorizo 3
Hell 6 vs LizLemon 0
alt obits guy 6 vs YorkshireBanker 0
gcreptile 10 vs Arghton 0
SpadeCooley 3 vs JoeMoneypenny 3
deadsox 0 vs Gooseberry Crumble 0
TQR 6 vs MariNisia 6
The Old Crem 3 vs Banana 6
diego 3 vs Sir Cunto 6
msc 3 vs TheKillingTime  6
Sideik 3 vs wannamaker 6

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A morte do astro de Hollywood Tom confirmou o que qualquer um suspeitaria lendo esses fóruns: somos todos um bando de rainhas do Tamanho. Não houve salvamento do sargento Horvath desta vez, e houve muitos acessos para relatar todos eles. gcreptile vai 10 pontos para cima, Talvez e Grim Up North, bem como TQR e MariNisia, todos capitanearam o seu caminho para um 6-6, e tem que haver alguns parabéns a deadsox e Gooseberry Crumble por de alguma forma manter o seu confronto em 0-0. Falcão Negro? Abaixo.

CalebH 0 vs Captain Hemlock 3 BabyBlue 0 vs Annami 6
Talvez 6 vs Grim Up North 6 GuyFromFuture 0 vs CaptainChorizo 3
Hell 6 vs LizLemon 0
alt obits guy 6 vs YorkshireBanker 0
gcreptile 10 vs Arghton 0
SpadeCooley 3 vs JoeMoneypenny 3

deadsox 0 vs Gooseberry Crumble 0
TQR 6 vs MariNisia 6

O Old Crem 3 vs Banana 6
diego 3 vs Sir Cunto 6
msc 3 vs TheKillingTime 6 Sideik 3 vs wannamaker 6

I should have put him as a joker:banghead:

3 hours ago, diego said:

I should have put him as a joker:banghead:

Actually the way to win this Cup is to zig when everyone is zagging. If you find (who you feel is) a dead cert and you’re almost certain it’s a solo, that makes the best joker, imho. In this particular case I went with Sizemore because of his age (relatively young), and the certainty of death.

[presuming my opponent had the same hits but made Jimmy Carter their Joker, I would win — for that reason Carter is a terrible joker this month, no offence to whoever has him in that capacity]. 
Usually I go for the solo. 
SC

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Na verdade, a maneira de ganhar esta Copa é ziguezaguear quando todos estão zagueando. Se você encontrar (quem você acha que é) um certificado morto e você tem quase certeza de que é um solo, que faz o melhor coringa, imho. Neste caso em particular, eu fui com Sizemore por causa de sua idade (relativamente jovem), e a certeza da morte.

[presumindo que meu oponente teve os mesmos acertos, mas fez de Jimmy Carter seu Coringa, eu venceria – por essa razão Carter é um terrível coringa este mês, nenhuma ofensa a quem o tiver nessa capacidade].
Normalmente eu vou para o solo.
SC

Yes, it's true, my joker is the only one and he was in bad shape at the time, there was even fake news of death these days, but the family members said he's recovering, let's see

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, diego said:

Yes, it's true, my joker is the only one and he was in bad shape at the time, there was even fake news of death these days, but the family members said he's recovering, let's see

It’s a funny game.  People recover then drop over out of nowhere a week later.  Others are on the brink and last another 100 days, usually right after you give up on them lol.  
DL has some folks who are more tenacious researchers than I, and/or have far more success.  Follow what they do/decisions they make.  

• Like 1

Yes, it really is like that, I saw that there are people who had been chosen a year ago and are still alive today and being chosen this year again, people miraculously improve during the month

I would have put Julian Sands again but I literally don't know if the police/search teams are bothering to find him anymore with current weather in California plus apparently an avalanche risk so area has been closed.

A whole batch of DL Cuppers get that Pilgrim's progress. Yep, the host of Big Brother South Africa has been voted off and gets to see a package of some of his best moments. DDPers may have been hesitant on his QO chances in the big leagues, but we have a much lower entry barrier and so there's points all over the shop. gcreptile could be on course to hand out the first squonking of this year's tournament.

CalebH 0 vs Captain Hemlock 3
BabyBlue 0 vs Annami 6
Perhaps 6 vs Grim Up North 9
GuyFromFuture 0 vs CaptainChorizo 3
Hell 6 vs LizLemon 0
alt obits guy 9 vs YorkshireBanker 0
gcreptile 13 vs Arghton 0
SpadeCooley 6 vs JoeMoneypenny 3
deadsox 3 vs Gooseberry Crumble 0
TQR 6 vs MariNisia 9
The Old Crem 3 vs Banana 9
diego 3 vs Sir Cunto 9
msc 6 vs TheKillingTime  6
Sideik 6 vs wannamaker 6

• Like 4

Yes, I'm definitely going to get squonked. Chavalit's somehow been discharged or atleast looks fine in images from the last few days, while bedbound my joker Paquita was (also) a bad pick from the start. Girish Bapat is bedbound and on oxygen, seems seriously ill looking at recent facebook images and I don't think he'll make it to April, but mostly everyone else on my team are those "perennially ill, could die now or in 12 months" types. And we've both got Carter.

Good luck Arghton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1