Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

My limited research thus far doesn’t project well for many points/deaths in April either.  

Lost 2 great picks with Lloyd Webber's son and the Malayan Actor dying early. Still not searching for names since I can still lose my match, but it does look a bit dull for April deaths.

• Like 1

After the strong start there wasn't much happening this month. And I really don’t know who to pick next month. In terms of creative and good picks I'm blank. Hell, maybe Jimmy Carter will live for another whole month.

Am I still losing my tie? I lost track of the tiebreaks (yes, that I invented, I know I know0.

Taiwan independence activist Zhong Yiren, picked here by TheKillingTime is dead but his two English "obits" are both bot-written. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, msc said:

Am I still losing my tie? I lost track of the tiebreaks (yes, that I invented, I know I know0.

I'll do an update and calculate who actually goes through in the current draws later on tonight. End of the month has really snuck up on us.

• Thanks 1

The dry patch does tally with what I was thinking at the end of last year, that this wasn't going to be a high-scoring year for dead-pooling at all. 2020 cleared out a lot of the generic "elderly and old people illnesses" with COVID, and 21/22 saw people diagnosed with cancer over that time dying sooner because of the hospital backlogs. Now everything's back to normal, we're almost starting with a game reset.

• Like 1

It's been very underwhelming on the front page too on a personal level. Interesting people are still dying, but compared to last year they are disproportionately misses (Huey "Piano" Smith, Bert I. Gordon, all these Gooseberry drops). Makes me extra glad for my decision to pick Napoleon XIV.

• Like 6

Yep, with Jon Bruce and Zhong Yiren both currently failing the QO test, it's down to PSV Eindhoven press spokesman Thijs Slegers to bring some life (death) to this round of cup action. Slegers was diagnosed with acute leukemia in 2020 and subsequently underwent a stem cell transplant, but last month discovered his body had rejected it and had very little time left on this planet. His story received plenty of attention in the Netherlands, sparking a stem cell recruitment drive across the country, and even got some publicity in the UK thanks to Zlatan Ibrahimovic declaring Slegers his "only friend in Holland". The big-nosed choker yet again failed to secure a victory when it mattered though, as Slegers died at 46. Grim Up North goes 7 points up over Perhaps as a result. 

The hunt for a Zhong Yiren QO could prove decisive: msc is currently beating TheKillingTime by dint of having more hits, but any news source in English confirming ZY's death would send TKT through.

gcreptile 17 vs Arghton 0
alt obits guy 9 vs YorkshireBanker 0
deadsox 7 vs Gooseberry Crumble 0
The Old Crem 3 vs Banana 9
diego 3 vs Sir Cunto 9
Sideik 6 vs wannamaker 9

GuyFromFuture 0 vs CaptainChorizo 6
CalebH 0 vs Captain Hemlock 6
BabyBlue 0 vs Annami 6
Hell 6 vs LizLemon 0
Perhaps 9 vs Grim Up North 16
An Fear Baeg 6 vs Pop_Zeus 0 
ladyfiona 3 vs DevonDeathTrip 6
SpadeCooley 6 vs JoeMoneypenny 3
TQR 9 vs MariNisia 9
msc 6 vs TheKillingTime  6

• Like 3

And it's "bap's out" for the DL Cup, thanks to the death of former guardian minister of Maharashtra Girish Bapat. Grim Up North becomes top scorer for the round, while Arghton scores a futile consolation.

gcreptile 17 vs Arghton 3
alt obits guy 9 vs YorkshireBanker 0
deadsox 7 vs Gooseberry Crumble 0
The Old Crem 3 vs Banana 9
diego 3 vs Sir Cunto 9
Sideik 6 vs wannamaker 9

GuyFromFuture 0 vs CaptainChorizo 6
CalebH 0 vs Captain Hemlock 6
BabyBlue 0 vs Annami 6
Hell 6 vs LizLemon 0
Perhaps 9 vs Grim Up North 19
An Fear Baeg 6 vs Pop_Zeus 0 
ladyfiona 3 vs DevonDeathTrip 6
SpadeCooley 6 vs JoeMoneypenny 3
TQR 9 vs MariNisia 9
msc 6 vs TheKillingTime  6

• Like 2

Right, my team for the next round is in the custody of Joey, so I guess entries are now open.

• Like 2

I wrote 'Cup' next to her name last month, but forgot about her. 
She died March 22.  That would be Forsyth County Commissioner Molly Cooper, who had Panc C.
Ah well.  Forsyth County Government News | Forsyth County Announces Death of Former Commissioner Molly Cooper

Apart from here she's a nobody, so no reason to post anywhere else.

I have a deeply uninspiring cup team in for next month, though if I do advance by LOTL DQ'd hit it would feel like a complete cheat tbh and harsh on @TheKillingTime.

On 01/03/2023 at 21:52, Sir Creep said:

@diego good luck this round.  Hopefully we both score more than your previous round.

Am I correct that you are the 31:1 odds that didn’t choose Jimmy Carter?  Well I would thank you but maybe you know something we don’t.  

@diego should get an honourary prize of sorts.  Mr Know It All award lol.  He stood on the hill of unanimity and waved a middle finger aloft and was right.  I do applaud you, señor.

SC

• Haha 1

A Wan Haifeng QO in the next 12 hours and 10 minutes will put me out and @JoeMoneypenny through... Although the fact he hasn't logged on for 31 days is a concern...

On 12/03/2023 at 20:54, Sir Creep said:

Lautaro Ronchi has been moved from ICU to a regular hospital room.  That is all.

...and now has been discharged and back home -- another in the lonnnnggggg list of blips on the screen here at Deathlist; forgotten characters who once brought great hope to a Cup team, now back into the world of nobodies

5 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A Wan Haifeng QO in the next 12 hours and 10 minutes will put me out and @JoeMoneypenny through... Although the fact he hasn't logged on for 31 days is a concern...

If they are AWOL ... @Sideik would be our highest-scoring loser of this round (again with @TheKillingTime missing out on number of hits), so it might be an idea for them to throw together a scrub team just in case they're required...

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

...and now has been discharged and back home -- another in the lonnnnggggg list of blips on the screen here at Deathlist; forgotten characters who once brought great hope to a Cup team, now back into the world of nobodies

Had him on my February and March teams, but I'm happy that he survived this, guy was only 18 when he got shot and I hope that he can make a full recovery.

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If they are AWOL ... @Sideik would be our highest-scoring loser of this round (again with @TheKillingTime missing out on number of hits), so it might be an idea for them to throw together a scrub team just in case they're required...

And by scrub team you mean what I will be turning in later.  I canna find a single secret person, they all keep dying too soon (see: Bishop Fernand Cheri III, Coach Ted Hammond, Molly Cooper).  I'm tired of writing down the same 6 names (Jimmy Carter, Rolf Harris, et.al.) before I even get started researching, but it's impossible NOT to include them. I've never put teams together like this before, it sucks.  I keep turning in scrub teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@diegodeve receber uma espécie de prêmio honorário. Prêmio Mr Know It All lol. Ele ficou na colina da unanimidade e acenou com o dedo do meio e estava certo. Eu o aplaudo, senhor.

SC

There's still a few hours to go, I hope Carter makes it

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Wouldn't they be TQR and Perhaps the highest scorer losers?

• Like 1

I'm retarded, yes. It's not been a banner month for me in the cognitive stakes.

• Like 1