Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

You'd be disgusted how I found the name. I didnt even open Facebook. I just saw hospice (didnt know why), and jokered him because, like Banana, I thought the obit was the most likely.

Beverly Shade is on a cannula in hospital. She got fast-tracked for the womens' wrestling HOF. Should be a relatively safe bet.

I wonder if my avoidance of Christy Dignam is going to be a mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

You'd be disgusted how I found the name. I didnt even open Facebook. I just saw hospice (didnt know why), and jokered him because, like Banana, I thought the obit was the most likely.

Beverly Shade is on a cannula in hospital. She got fast-tracked for the womens' wrestling HOF. Should be a relatively safe bet.

Twitter, and same reasoning.

Samuel Durance made a me a bit mad, I searched for hospice names on Facebook and Twitter and he didn't show up. Then when the teams were published I searched again to see if there was any mention of him, and the first result when I searched for "hospice care" on Twitter was about him entering into hospice...

One of these days, I really must look into this new-fangled Facebook and Twitter lark. Seems to be quite useful for dead-pooling.

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I doubt it - I only put him in because I figured (correctly)that DDT would have him, and I really didn't want to lose to a Dignam hit. He is such an attention-whore that no-matter how many times I hear him say that he is dying, I still struggle to believe it. One of those names that I will be surprised when he actually dies, even though I know how ill he is. 

1 hour ago, wannamaker said:

Samuel Durance made a me a bit mad, I searched for hospice names on Facebook and Twitter and he didn't show up. Then when the teams were published I searched again to see if there was any mention of him, and the first result when I searched for "hospice care" on Twitter was about him entering into hospice...

Similarly for I. Did not show up for my generic search term, but showed up when I tried something else. Last name I added.

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

One of these days, I really must look into this new-fangled Facebook and Twitter lark. Seems to be quite useful for dead-pooling.

Elon's "streamlining" of Twitter's back-end has made it basically useless for research. It's down to The Zuck to be the spiritual home of endless searches by DDPers in December.

On 06/05/2023 at 20:31, Spade_Cooley said:

Elon's "streamlining" of Twitter's back-end has made it basically useless for research. It's down to The Zuck to be the spiritual home of endless searches by DDPers in December.

I don't really pretend to understand advanced computing, but might progress in real time AI generated research take things to a whole new level in deadpooling?

• Like 1

First few iterations of this will undoubtedly stonewall deadpoolers asking it "which celebrities are going to die in the next 12 months, please sort by youngest to oldest". Don't think the DDP will be won by a programmer until 2030...

• Like 1

From the well-trodden "teams doing well in the DDP to DL Cup" pipeline, we have a hit in the shape of Denny Crum. Crum was the coach of the University of Louisville's basketball team for three decades, taking them to two NCAA championships (80 and 86) and revolutionizing the way college teams set about scheduling early-season matches. Such was his skills in the post-season he was nicknamed "Mr March". Grim Up North, despite bagging a unique hit, won't be known as Mr May just yet - alt obits guy still leads them on average age of hit.

alt obits guy 4 vs Grim Up North 4

DevonDeathTrip 8 vs An Fear Baeg 0
 gcreptile 6 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Although he had been ill for some time, apparently the official cause of death has been given as "Dropped by AFB after being picked for previous 2 months".

In the past, that has had a high mortality rate for people with pre-existing medical conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

[subs, please check if it's problematic to say "Brown-Bender? What, Gary Wilmot's died?". Thanks]

gcreptile 10 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Grim Up North, despite bagging a unique hit, won't be known as Mr May just yet - alt obits guy still leads them on average age of hit.

gcreptile 6 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

I am basking in the fact I'm the only away team to score so far this round.

Also there is some irony that my hit was a Crum and aog's hit was a hunger striker.

• Haha 1

On 06/05/2023 at 15:31, Spade_Cooley said:

Throw in some random poking around gofundme for an hour.

• Like 1

As just posted by drol, Moon Fun Chin is dead. But english-language obits for the chinese people are always a big ask.

• Like 1

A key figure in the story of Los Angeles politics over the past four decades, Gloria Molina was an activist-turned-supervisor who became the first Hispanic woman elected to California's state assembly. Known for an "in-your-face" political style, she would often drive through skid row herself in order to aid deprived families. She also introduced a law that saw parking a food truck for more than one hour punishable by up to six months in prison. Why not, tbh? Recent announcements that she had terminal cancer had put Cup players on notice last month, but the renaming of Grand Park in LA as "Gloria Molina Park" was perhaps a true sign she wasn't about to spend a Carter-esque time in hospice. Three teams score: DDT and gcreptile increase their leads, while GUN goes ahead of aog.

alt obits guy 4 vs Grim Up North 7

DevonDeathTrip 11 vs An Fear Baeg 0
 gcreptile 13 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

• Like 3

Dropped Gloria Molina from the last round. Hindsight, 20/20 and such.

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A key figure in the story of Los Angeles politics over the past four decades, Gloria Molina was an activist-turned-supervisor who became the first Hispanic woman elected to California's state assembly. Known for an "in-your-face" political style, she would often drive through skid row herself in order to aid deprived families. She also introduced a law that saw parking a food truck for more than one hour punishable by up to six months in prison. Why not, tbh? Recent announcements that she had terminal cancer had put Cup players on notice last month, but the renaming of Grand Park in LA as "Gloria Molina Park" was perhaps a true sign she wasn't about to spend a Carter-esque time in hospice. Three teams score: DDT and gcreptile increase their leads, while GUN goes ahead of aog

alt obits guy 4 vs Grim Up North 7

DevonDeathTrip 11 vs An Fear Baeg 0
 gcreptile 13 vs deadsox 0

Banana 6 vs wannamaker 0

Oh fuck - it looks like I am heading for a squonking here. Yet another name that was on my shortlist but I decided to leave off. Could Superstar give me hope?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

Oh fuck - it looks like I am heading for a squonking here. Yet another name that was on my shortlist but I decided to leave off. Could Superstar give me hope?

Me too An.  Anything done in the first half can be undone in the second but our folks had better start dying soon.

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

Could Superstar give me hope?

Whereas I am hoping he doesn’t!

• Like 1