Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

58 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

image.png.7e171c890cc31d34489712b16b62fe62.png

Apologies for the delay.

alt obits guy vs DevonDeathTrip 

alt obits guy

Munawwar Rana (c), Cheri Pies, Christy Dignam, Daniel N. Paul, Heath Streak, James Carter Cathcart, Jonnie Irwin, Sergio Rico, Thomas F. Maniscalco, Vance Masters, Walid Daqqa
vs

DevonDeath Trip

Brother Camillus Chavez  (c), Jonnie  Irwin, Brian O'Donovan , Heath Streak , Margaret Read , Father  Pat Travers , Munawwar Rana , Christy Dignam, Jimmy Carter, Oommen Chandy

gcreptile vs Banana

gcreptile

Beverly Shade (c), Cheri Pies, Daniel Ellsberg, Joe Plater , James Lamar, Dave King, Teresa Taylor , Munawwar Rana, Walid Daqqa, Christy Dignam, Yannis Markopulous

vs

Banana

Beverly Shade (c), Jimmy Carter, Graham Caveney, Ronnie Coker, Christy Dignam, Bill Douglass, Mike Giddings, James Lamar, Cheri Pies, Munawwar Rana, Teresa Taylor

Hate to be the bearer of bad news for my opponent, but it appears Brother Camillus Chavez died May 31st, at least according to this:

https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/news/remembering-remarkable-life-brother-camillus-chavez

Nice pick, though. Nobody I'd ever heard of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whoa gcreptile eschewing President Carter!  It’ll be talked about for the next two months, one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Whoa gcreptile eschewing President Carter!  It’ll be talked about for the next two months, one way or the other.

@gcreptileis the new @diego

• Haha 2

Banana's and my team are similar. Makes me wonder if it comes down to a Jimmy Carter vs. Daniel Ellsberg competition. Jimmy Carter was my 3rd sub, I think. I am fully on team drol, Carter is going to last a little longer - I hope!

Some unfolding drama here at the DDT festival of death.   Spade will be along to explain later.

WORDS FROM THE COMMISSIONER:

Around 8am this morning I received a message from DDT confirming his replacement captain, following the death of Brother Camillius, was your favourite and mine, former vicar general for the Archdiocese of Anchorage-Juneau Father Pat Travers. However, it has since been discovered that Travers' death was made public in a Facebook post around 9pm last night. While at no point has the management of the DL Cup suggested any impropriety on DDT's part, it was decided that in the interests of CFP (cadaver fair play), that he select a different captain for the round. We now await any QO for Travers.

• Like 4

Joe Plater died on the 1st according to his wife:

But will there be a QO?

It is possible that he actually died on the 31st, let's see.

Yeah, I think the post above is from yesterday, just the tweet is from today. However, she says "late last night", meaning it could be past 0:00. Then the internet community interpreted "last night" as yesterday. the day before.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

WORDS FROM THE COMMISSIONER:

Around 8am this morning I received a message from DDT confirming his replacement captain, following the death of Brother Camillius, was your favourite and mine, former vicar general for the Archdiocese of Anchorage-Juneau Father Pat Travers. However, it has since been discovered that Travers' death was made public in a Facebook post around 9pm last night. While at no point has the management of the DL Cup suggested any impropriety on DDT's part, it was decided that in the interests of CFP (cadaver fair play), that he select a different captain for the round. We now await any QO for Travers.

Im like 90% sure those Pat Travers are not the same people. Came across that name as well and came to that conclusion. They don’t particularly look like and Anchorage and Tijuana are slightly a ways away. 

• Thanks 1

Oh Lord.  I may need to unpick this after work. 

Same, I think I have a solution but I'm going to wait a few hours to make sure I'm right.

OK, so my take on this is:

DDT's original entry for the round called Travers a "noted figure in Alaska's Catholic scene". However, his second message to me about his team clearly referred to the Tijuana-based one. If there hadn't been that second message I'd have said "well you have to play the still-living Alaskan and hope he carks it this round", as I did when running the DDP and someone typed "Betty Wright" when they meant "Betty White".  But as we've got a second message here.... I'm allowing his pick to remain as the now dead Tijuana lad. Not much sign of a QO at the moment though. Beverley Shade update to come.

• Like 2

Well, at least Beverly Shade is a clean hit:

https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2023/06/03/womens-wrestling-great-beverly-shade-dies/

As for Joe Plater, so far there's only this:

https://www.btf-thyroid.org/news/joe-plater

A QO I'd say, but it doesn't tell the exact date. I'll keep looking for it, but I realize that the burden of proof is on me, and as long as it's unclear, I cant get points. But I assume Cale Yarborough is in... (?)

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

A QO I'd say, but it doesn't tell the exact date. I'll keep looking for it, but I realize that the burden of proof is on me, and as long as it's unclear, I cant get points. But I assume Cale Yarborough is in... (?)

Yarborough is in assuming Plater died last month, but then I need to decide whether we have a deadline on finding a Plater death date or if we've got until the end of the month.

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'm allowing his pick to remain as the now dead Tijuana lad

Right, I was passing on the Clapham omnibus as usual.

If the Tijuana guy died prior to the round starting, then doesn't that mean a new captain needs to be selected from his team and a sub promoted anyway? A QO doesn't matter.

*vroom vroom*

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

OK, so my take on this is:

DDT's original entry for the round called Travers a "noted figure in Alaska's Catholic scene". However, his second message to me about his team clearly referred to the Tijuana-based one. If there hadn't been that second message I'd have said "well you have to play the still-living Alaskan and hope he carks it this round", as I did when running the DDP and someone typed "Betty Wright" when they meant "Betty White".  But as we've got a second message here.... I'm allowing his pick to remain as the now dead Tijuana lad. Not much sign of a QO at the moment though. Beverley Shade update to come.

Thank you.  That's my interpretation as well.  During my thoroughly enjoyable hour of barrel scraping the other night, I came across a reference to Father Pat Travers entering a hospice. When I googled him to check his 'fame' credentials I was confused by copious references to a different Father Pat Travers in Alaska and put him on my list.

It was all done in haste and there was no intention to deceive.

@YoungWillz Father Pat (my replacement joker) died on 1st June, he replaced my original joker, Brother Camillus, who died on 31st May.  It's all irrelevant anyway at this point without an obit.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Father Pat (my replacement joker) died on 1st June, he replaced my original joker, Brother Camillus, who died on 31st May.  It's all irrelevant anyway at this point without an obit. 

Ah, it's all very confusing for those of us riding buses all day!

I must've been distracted while playing I Spy....

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah, it's all very confusing for those of us riding buses all day!

I must've been distracted while playing I Spy....

You seem very invested in this competition :).

Though I guess that's part of the appeal of this pool, the best to watch as it unfolds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

You seem very invested in this competition :).

Though I guess that's part of the appeal of this pool, the best to watch as it unfolds.

Not really invested as such. I drop by these pools I don't play on a passing interest.

As such, I have a more outside view, and got incredibly confused reading the posts - was Travers also Camillus, that sort of thing. It was becoming a bit Agatha Christie!

It's like dropping by an English Premier League commentary - they know who and what they are talking about, to the casual viewer it's baffling piffle. :lol:

• Haha 1

After some days stuck in the weeds with rules and regulations, we're throwing Shade on the funeral pyre. I did have a great statistic that Beverly Shade had wrestled the most matches in WWWF/WWF/WWE history while still having a 100% record (10 matches, 10 wins around the turn of the 80s, mainly as the tag team partner of beloved pimp/sexual abuser The Fabulous Moolah), but apparently Antonio Inoki wrestled 11 matches under the McMahon banner and won them all. Anyway, like Inoki Shade is now dead, and both gcreptile and Banana kick off the round with a captaincy hit.

alt obits guy 0 vs DevonDeathTrip 0

gcreptile 6 vs Banana 6

• Thanks 1