heiheiheihei

King Albert II of Belgium

Former King Albert II of Belgium turns 89 this year. He abdicated in 2013 for health reasons. Both he and his wife, Queen Paola, use canes. Maybe one for 2024?

4372F5C5-3CB5-4921-B44A-3A18206C4D4A.jpeg
Picture of King Albert and Queen Paola from september last year, at the wedding of their granddaughter Princess Maria Laura.

• Like 9

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

King Albert is worthy of his own thread. He is not just Royal, but a former monarch.

He is also using a cane.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

King Albert is worthy of his own thread. He is not just Royal, but a former monarch.

He is also using a cane.

You are suggesting he could hit TQR if this thread is closed?

• Haha 2

He has been on my radar for a few years now. I think I first included him in a team about  2018 or 2019 but his wife Queen Paola is increasingly garnering more of my interest.

The Belgian monarchy is easy to overlook but it's main players will always receive a qualifying obituary. 

2 hours ago, drol said:

You are suggesting he could hit TQR if this thread is closed?

It’s a reference to my insistence that we shouldn’t look too much into the fact the Queen was using a cane.

didn’t age well, did it? 

Then what the shivering fuck is the point in the Non-British Royals thread?

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

There are over 40 monarchies in the world and many hundreds of princes, princesses, dukes, duchesses, etc. All over the world. The non-British royals thread is a place to discuss the health of those people. But important royals like King Albert, King Harald, and Queen Margrete have their own thread. Exactly, because they are more famous and important royals. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, heiheiheihei said:

There are over 40 monarchies in the world and many hundreds of princes, princesses, dukes, duchesses, etc. All over the world. The non-British royals thread is a place to discuss the health of those people. But important royals like King Albert, King Harald, and Queen Margrete have their own thread. Exactly, because they are more famous and important royals. 

A valid point, but if you look at the Political Frailty thread that’s just as open-ended, and there are not all that many non-British politicians with threads compared to the amount mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

He is not just any royal. Generations of children pranked phoned their local food shop asking as if they had King Albert in a can.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

King Albert II of Belgium hospitalised, showing signs of dehydration. He is 89 years old.

(Link in Dutch)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't know you have to go to the hospital to drink water.

Discharged. There are images and he doesn't look ill enough for next year's DL in my opinion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

Discharged. There are images and he doesn't look ill enough for next year's DL in my opinion. 

Looks quite frail to me on the contrary. Frailer than Berlusconi was for example

41 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Looks quite frail to me on the contrary. Frailer than Berlusconi was for example

I agree, he looks like he’s gonna die in the next months or even weeks ‘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Disagree. I'd think he'd be a good pick. In fact I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he didn't make it to next year. Looks quite frail. 

• Like 1

He looks absolutely awful.  Can't see him getting to 2025.

He has been frail with multiple health issues for a couple of years now, but this is the first time he looks like a skeleton. The video doesn't convince me he'll see his 90th birthday (June next year) and even making 2024 seems like it could be a stretch.

By the way, he was also suffering from a blood infection, which is the reason why he was in hospital for nine days.

• Like 2