Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Musical Anniversaries

Looking for a place to post ‘on this date in music history’ info, nothing seemed as appropriate as a shiny new thread.  Feel free to post album/song releases, ticket stubs of shows you attended, or events.  [Please make them special anniversaries; ‘I saw this concert 10 years ago’ is important, 11 years ago not so much.]  

And with that, today (25 Feb 1973) is the 50th anniversary of the release of the iconic Billion Dollar Babies album by Alice Cooper.  A fair chunk of his greatest hits can be found here: Elected, Hello Hooray, I’m Eighteen, and No More Mr. Nice Guy.  But it wouldn’t be deathlisty unless there was a song about the dead, which there is (Cold Ethyl), a corpse that Alice fancies a wee bit.

R.png

Pablo Honey, Radiohead’s first studio album, celebrated its 30th anniversary this Wednesday. Not their most famous album but there are some absolute gems on it, like this:

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 01:30, Sir Creep said:

And with that, today (25 Feb 1973) is the 50th anniversary of the release of the iconic Billion Dollar Babies album by Alice Cooper.  A fair chunk of his greatest hits can be found here: Elected, School’s Out, I’m Eighteen, and No More Mr. Nice Guy.

Errr, "School's Out" was the title track of Alice's previous album* and "Eighteen" was on Love It To Death which came out in 1971. "Elected" was actually a rewrite of "Reflected" from their first album Pretties For You**, a big improvement though.

*I remember buying it in 1972, with the cover that unfolds to make a school desk. Still got it! My actual class teacher at school didn't like Alice Cooper, I remember him saying "He sings like a little girl." Well, duh! - though I can't claim to have said/thought that at the time.

**Back then only available in Britain as an import from Virgin. For years the first two Alice Cooper albums were universally held to be rubbish.

• Like 2

U2 released War, their third studio album. 40 years ago today.  Feel old?

U2_War_album_cover.jpg

Shania Twain released this great 25 years ago today:

Robbie Williams released Let Me Entertain you 25 years ago and 20 years ago performed at Knebworth in front of 375,000 over a period of three days.

• Like 1

50 years ago today, on March 1st 1973, Pink Floyd released their eighth studio album The Dark Side Of The Moon in the US. It remained in the US charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks, and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006. It has sold an estimated 45 million copies.

0DC2E823-256F-459F-BCAF-AFEB36C2C24F.jpeg

• Like 1

A bit late to the party with this one.  Sparks release their 2nd studio album “A Woofer in Tweeters Clothing” in January 1973.  ( actually a re-release of said album which was released originally in 1971 when they were known as “Halfnelson”.  

My reason for posting?  I’m a friend of the drummer on Facebook.  

0F790BB9-3204-4584-BD3B-3FEF1BC60F8B.jpeg

On this day in 1989 (34 years ago), De La Soul released their debut album 3 Feet High and Rising.

DeLaSoul3FeetHighandRisingalbumcover.jpg

• Like 1

On this day 20 years ago, Evanescence released their album Fallen, known for its songs "Bring Me To Life" and "My Immortal".

A black-haired woman is staring forward against a bluish background. In the top left corner of the image, the words "Evanescence" and "Fallen" are placed, stylized in all capital letters.

• Like 3