The Daredevil

Jane Birkin

Yes, in lieu of the ongoing health battles of this icon of French, Hollywood and British cinema, it’s time she gets a thread. 

• Like 4

So far, according to you, the 2024 DL should be about 1,500 names long. And it’s only fucking March.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TQR said:

So far, according to you, the 2024 DL should be about 1,500 names long. And it’s only fucking March.

50 really is a smaller number than people think. Whenever I put a list together for Book's prediciton game I wind up with a shortlist of around 150 names and that's just folk famous enough and old or sick enough for the DL!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Yes, in lieu of the ongoing health battles of this icon of French, Hollywood and British cinema, it’s time she gets a thread. I still think Delon will predecease her though, but both should be on the 2024 DL.

Do you mean 'in light of', given that in lieu means 'in place of/instead of'?

And no, given the broad appeal you've just mentioned, I think there are plenty of existing threads she can go in.

I wouldn’t call her an icon of British cinema.

If you said her name to anyone under 40 in this country, most would shrug. If you said her name to anyone over 40, vast majority would only know her for her relationship with Gainsbourg and that camp (and shit) song they sung together.

I know her as one of the dwindling number of survivors from the all-star casts of Death on the Nile (1978) and Evil Under the Sun (1982). She's particularly good in the latter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I wouldn’t call her an icon of British cinema.

If you said her name to anyone under 40 in this country, most would shrug. If you said her name to anyone over 40, vast majority would only know her for her relationship with Gainsbourg and that camp (and shit) song they sung together.

And the handbag named after her. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

In France, she is at the level of Catherine Deneuve and Jeanne Moreau

• Like 3

Also, worth notting that one of her three daughter, Kate Berry, daughter of John Barry, died in 2013 at 46 after falling from her 5th floor apartment in Paris. The investigation never concluded to suicide. 

• Sad 2

I was going to say, if you were Family Fortunes 100 people and ask them why Jane Birkin was famous, "bag" would be top answer by a mile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

And the handbag named after her. 

• Haha 1

Well she’s been in the News a lot these past Time. She appeared in Les Enfoires 2023 (french caritative show founded by Coluche in 1986). The show was filmed mid january and premiered tonight on french TV. 
Photo of her 

F34E5350-A33F-45EF-ABEF-E1EE8649AE24.jpeg

• Like 1

She has also been one of the funniest members of the emission Les grosses Têtes for people who understand french.

But I dont think that it's a serious name for 2024, she looked in good health last week for Césars ceremony. Her health is one of somebody who is 75 with good and Bad news.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fantomasss said:

She has also been one of the funniest members of the emission Les grosses Têtes for people who understand french.

But I dont think that it's a serious name for 2024, she looked in good health last week for Césars ceremony. Her health is one of somebody who is 75 with good and Bad news.

I’m not sure she is in decent health, hence this thread. 2 cancers + a big stroke + several cancellation of shows. She looks really bas at the Cesar !

• Like 1

Yes but I believe that people who have really Bad health don't talk about, because they can't... May be she won't be 80 but she still appears in public, with family and even After her AVC she didnt stop her career... For example Françoise Hardy seems to be more a serious name because she didnt appear phisically for a long Time

Another picture from the show Les Enfoires. Her face looks swollen, certainly because of the drugs 

2212031_w378h270c1cx3192cy1100cxt0cyt0cx

• Like 1

new article from her grandson saying she is tired and also revealed she has canceled not one show in march (due to broken shoulder blade) but all her other shows due to "tiredness" and undisclosed ailments. She has canceled (and not only postponed) all her programmed shows. Somehow went unnoticed. 

• Like 2

Well, all the people who said she wasn't a name for the 2024 DeathList were right... /s

• Like 1

Told you… that is a shock and really sad one, I was sure she wouldn’t have long left