Sign in to follow this  
The Daredevil

Most Surprising DeathList Celebrity Omission

It's Howard Marks for me as well. For a deathlist formed in a student bar in the late 80s....

• Like 3

I'll gradually add names to this when I remember the people this site forgot:

Early misses:

1987: Rita Hayworth (senile), John Huston (on oxygen)

1989: Emperor Hirohito (just look at him), Irving Berlin (centenarian)

1990: Sammy Davis Jr. (throat cancer)

Obscure nonagenarians:

1991: Lazar Kaganovich (more frail than the Soviet Union)

1994: the Lubavitcher Rebbe (stroke)

Expiring Americans:

1988*: Billy Carter (pancreatic cancer)

1991: Lee Atwater (horrific brain cancer; is also the namesake of the Lee Atwater Invitational Dead Pool)

1996: Barry Goldwater (recent strokeAlzheimer's)

1998: George Wallace (the guy was practically a ghoul)

2011: Sargent Shriver

2012: George McGovern

Last updated October 19 2023

• Like 3

Topol

Conrad Bain

Omar Sharif

Those 3 are some of the surprise omissions, for me.

• Like 3

Also surprised June Spencer , Eva Marie Saint and Glynis Johns have never been included. Also surprised Sheila Mercier never made the list seeing as the committee like UK soap picks.

Sir Roger Bannister , Dora Bryan, John Bardon , Jeremy Thorpe , David Coleman, Alan Whicker, Sir Peter Hall , Tony Benn , Roger Ebert , Howard Marks , Geoffrey Howe , Jimmy Hill , Sister Wendy Beckett , James Lovelock , Peter Vaughan , John Glenn, Hugh Downs , John Paul Stevens , Nichelle Nicholls ,Trevor Peacock, Carlos Menem, Betty Driver, Doddie Weir ,Ray Wilson and Warren Mitchell all strike me as foreseeable omissions over the last few years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's Howard Marks for me as well. For a deathlist formed in a student bar in the late 80s....

That was a baffling omission for me too. A cult figure and looked like death warmed up in late 2015.

• Like 1

The other living names I am slightly surprised have not yet made an appearance on DL:

Charlie Munger 

William Russell

David Graham

June Lockhart

Gudrun Ure

Doreen Mantle

Teddie Beverley 

Leontyne Price

Estelle Parsons

James D Watson

Stuart Hall

Tippi Hedren

Kenneth Cope

Phyllida Law

Michael Aspel

Roberta Flack

Ted Turner

Dennis Hastert

Michael York

Superstar Billy Graham

Joe Kinnear

Stan Bowles

George Alagiah

Michael J Fox

Johnnie Irwin

• Like 4

Barbara Barrie should be on it right now.

Irving Berlin is an interesting one. Surely the most famous person to hit the 100 barrier since the DL began who was never included?

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Irving Berlin is an interesting one. Surely the most famous person to hit the 100 barrier since the DL began who was never included?

Was Hal Roach ever on it? Died aged 100 in 1992.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2023 at 18:06, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Omar Sharif

If I remember well, his son revealed his alzheimer in may and he died in July so not an omission per say

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

If I remember well, his son revealed his alzheimer in may and he died in July so not an omission per say

It's per se.  Latin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

As in Robin van 

No, that's Persie.

4 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yeah he went very quickly after diagnosis was revealed publicly.

And per say/per se frequently trips me up, though not as often for "taken for granted", for granted feeling like it should be one word. 

2 hours ago, msc said:

And per say/per se frequently trips me up, though not as often for "taken for granted", for granted feeling like it should be one word. 

I've just seen yet another case of internment when interment was meant.  Perhaps safer in future to use "burial".

(At least this was on topic for this forum) :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

True, but still famous enough, and old enough to be tossed on, just cause. :D I had him on my list for a few years, prior.

7 hours ago, Toast said:
8 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

It's per se.  Latin.

Sockray blue!

• Haha 1

Of those never picked, Jiang Zemin's not been mentioned yet. Although not as notable as his predecessor (who was on DL seven times before dying) he was the former leader of the world's most populated country, was in failing health for his last ten years and was never picked. There were already strong health rumors in late 2011. 

Emperor Hirohito in 1989. He was gravely ill with internal bleeding and terminal cancer for months before dying at the start of January

Tony Curtis was missing from the 2010 DL. Long time cocaine/alcohol addict, suffered heart attacks, survived cirrhosis, etc.

Willie Mays is of the age (92 in May) that he should be on the actual DL from 2024 on. Baseball players don’t seem to get a thread, I may have to change that soon, for once.

What on Earth had gone on with the 1993 list? 56 names, 5 "hits" yet three more names are added for some reason.

I was checking whether Frank Zappa was picked and he wasn't..

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

What on Earth had gone on with the 1993 list? 56 names, 5 "hits" yet three more names are added for some reason.

I think that every list before 2000 included when a person that was in a previous year's list and wasn't picked that year died, so that's why there's 3 extra names in 1993.

I did like these short obits for candidates who died off the list. These shouldn't be as long as a regular candidates' one, but I found them interesting as they contained additional data like the lists these previous candidates were on and how some years the list could have had a higher number of hits if other people were kept on it.

• Like 2