gcreptile

Dianne Feinstein

Pre-historic Senator of California, Dianne Feinstein, sells her estate at Lake Tahoe. Is the couple (she's married to lung cancer survivor billionaire investor Richard Blum) being forced to downsize?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/25/dianne-feinstein-lists-41m-lake-tahoe-estate/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Pre-historic Senator of California, Dianne Feinstein, sells her estate at Lake Tahoe. Is the couple (she's married to lung cancer survivor billionaire investor Richard Blum) being forced to downsize?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/25/dianne-feinstein-lists-41m-lake-tahoe-estate/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=P6Twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

There have been reports (all unsubstantiated so far, of course) that the White House might appoint Blum to some sinecure ambassadorship somewhere for the primary purpose of giving the increasingly senile Feinstein an easy, "dignified" way to retire from the Senate within the relatively near future.

Edited by JustPassingThrough

On 27/06/2021 at 17:46, gcreptile said:

Dianne Feinstein's husband, billionaire investor Richard Blum, has been in critical condition lately. Apart from the lung cancer mentioned above, he also suffers from "crippling respiratory issues":

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/09/28/feinstein-returning-to-dc-after-husbands-hospitalization-1391479

• Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 21:36, gcreptile said:

Dianne Feinstein's husband, billionaire investor Richard Blum, has been in critical condition lately. Apart from the lung cancer mentioned above, he also suffers from "crippling respiratory issues":

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/09/28/feinstein-returning-to-dc-after-husbands-hospitalization-1391479

Richard Blum dead aged 86.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Dianne Feinstein's colleagues now all regard her as "mentally unfit to serve":

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/dianne-feinstein-senate-17079487.php

Could be expected, I guess, that it's quickly downhill after her husband's death.

At one point in the article it actually says this,

"The episode was so unnerving that the lawmaker — who spoke to The Chronicle on condition they not be identified because of the sensitivity of the topic — began raising concerns with colleagues to see if some kind of intervention to persuade Feinstein to retire was possible. Feinstein’s term runs through the end of 2024. The conversation occurred several weeks before the death of her husband in February."

Stories such as these have been coming out the last few years. Many rumors she has dementia or something similar. Could also be we shouldn't let a 88 year old work every single day in control of our government! IMO the Democrats have been slowly leaking information like this to try and force her retirement. It is clear she has refused up to this point. The recent death of her husband, as you mentioned, has likely made all this much worse. Grassley and her can go anytime now and I wouldn't lose any sleep...

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Dianne Feinstein's colleagues now all regard her as "mentally unfit to serve":

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/dianne-feinstein-senate-17079487.php

Could be expected, I guess, that it's quickly downhill after her husband's death.

Sounds like good days and bad days, as is often the case with situations like that. She's clearly declining mentally with age, regardless of if there's been a formal diagnosis (I suspect if there had been it would surely have been untenable for her to continue?).

I suspect the aim would be to muddle through to 2024 when she would be replaced, but the bit that did add some urgency to the discussion is: "If Democrats retain control of the Senate next year, Feinstein will succeed retiring Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy as the Senate's president pro temp - putting her third in line for the presidency."

It might be symbolic, but it does still matter that if the people close to the presidency are old, they are at least "all there". Still think they'll muddle through though, unless she decides to call it a day.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Sounds like good days and bad days, as is often the case with situations like that. She's clearly declining mentally with age, regardless of if there's been a formal diagnosis (I suspect if there had been it would surely have been untenable for her to continue?).

I suspect the aim would be to muddle through to 2024 when she would be replaced, but the bit that did add some urgency to the discussion is: "If Democrats retain control of the Senate next year, Feinstein will succeed retiring Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy as the Senate's president pro temp - putting her third in line for the presidency."

It might be symbolic, but it does still matter that if the people close to the presidency are old, they are at least "all there". Still think they'll muddle through though, unless she decides to call it a day.

I would say both Biden and Pelosi have good and bad days and are showing signs of cognitive decline especially Biden.He spoke so much better just a few years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Sean said:

I would say both Biden and Pelosi have good and bad days and are showing signs of cognitive decline especially Biden.He spoke so much better just a few years ago.

Regardless of what he says, I don't see Biden serving a second term. He is much diminished. Hillary, meanwhile, looks like she could still run now and serve 2 terms (don't worry, she won't).

I was going to say in my post that "even though it's symbolic (the 3 in front of her are healthy enough)" but decided not to, since Biden and Pelosi are hardly the picture of youth and vitality. If Biden, Pelosi and Feinstein all passed before 2024, I don't think anyone would be overly shocked.

• Like 1

It isn't symbolic  as it could happen however unlikely.For Biden Harris and Pelosi to all pass away  or have to resign between 2023 and 2025 is not likely but not implausible.

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Regardless of what he says, I don't see Biden serving a second term. He is much diminished. Hillary, meanwhile, looks like she could still run now and serve 2 terms (don't worry, she won't).

I was going to say in my post that "even though it's symbolic (the 3 in front of her are healthy enough)" but decided not to, since Biden and Pelosi are hardly the picture of youth and vitality. If Biden, Pelosi and Feinstein all passed before 2024, I don't think anyone would be overly shocked.

Or if Biden passed away Kamala took over had a huge scandal  and resigned and Pelosi took over then died in the next 2_3 years Feinstein could become president.

It is unlikely but not impossible at all.Biden and Pelosi are relatively old and Kamala doesn't seem like the scandal free sort of President if she gets it.Of course assassination or illness could be a factor in all 3 cases even Kamala at 57.Wouldnt take death for someone to have to resign through illness.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Or if Biden passed away Kamala took over had a huge scandal  and resigned and Pelosi took over then died in the next 2_3 years Feinstein could become president.

It is unlikely but not impossible at all.Biden and Pelosi are relatively old and Kamala doesn't seem like the scandal free sort of President if she gets it.Of course assassination or illness could be a factor in all 3 cases even Kamala at 57.Wouldnt take death for someone to have to resign through illness.

Takes quite a stretch of the mind to entertain this hypothetical. Looking through the history of U.S politics, and in particular the more modern period, it seems very long odds that this would ever happen. Mainly because it would require all of it to happen at a very rapid pace. Pelosi or Harris would have their position filled within a few weeks. That being said, the fact we even have to think about how our line of succession goes through people who are all around eighty (besides VP Harris we have 82 Pelosi, 79 Biden, and 88 Feinstein/82 Leahy).....

We don't have age nor term limits why again? Most federal government agencies have a mandatory retirement age, but not the people in charge of them!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Alright, I'll play your game of 'Alt-Right What If?', but what I will say is if Biden dies, that scandal would have to happen very quickly because President Harris would appoint a new VP to replace herself. Then, if she was forced to resign/impeached, she'd be replaced by Vice President Cory Booker (or whoever). Who would then appoint his own VP...etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Alright, I'll play your game of 'Alt-Right What If?', but what I will say is if Biden dies, that scandal would have to happen very quickly because President Harris would appoint a new VP to replace herself. Then, if she was forced to resign/impeached, she'd be replaced by Vice President Cory Booker (or whoever). Who would then appoint his own VP...etc.

It isn't alt right it is merely a distinct possibility.Say Biden resigns or dies and Kamala takes over and is assassinated before a VP is appointed then Pelosi takes over and falls ill or dies then it has happened.

My point was it isn't a hypothetical just a long shot but one that is within the realms of possibility which is scary.If the unlikely scenario we're to occur though I am sure people would step in and stop her taking office.It is clear senior Democrats are really pushing for her to Resign even now so if she were to become President those calls would be overwhelming to the point of being untenable.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

We don't have age nor term limits why again? Most federal government agencies have a mandatory retirement age, but not the people in charge of them!

Presumably because it's the people who'd be affected by the term/age limits that would have to make and agree to them - and I really can't see how you'd get a majority for it without a major scandal (like, mentally unfit to serve but actually becomes President" type scandal). Neither party will agree to term/age limits either and both have multiple geriatrics representing them in Congress, so supermajorities and control over Presidency doesn't matter either like it does for some other issues. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

It isn't alt right it is merely a distinct possibility.Say Biden resigns or dies and Kamala takes over and is assassinated before a VP is appointed then Pelosi takes over and falls ill or dies then it has happened.

My point was it isn't a hypothetical just a long shot but one that is within the realms of possibility which is scary.If the unlikely scenario we're to occur though I am sure people would step in and stop her taking office.It is clear senior Democrats are really pushing for her to Resign even now so if she were to become President those calls would be overwhelming to the point of being untenable.

I wasn't really suggesting you were Alt-Right, more it is something the Alt-Right would love to occur. Agreed it is possible, although more the plot of a thriller novel than likely in reality. To play the hypothetical through, let's say Biden keels over tomorrow. Kamala Harris is sworn in as the new President and sets about choosing a new VP. In the time that takes, a major secret from the new President's past is revealed which forces her to resign from office. Assuming this scandal took a week or two to force resignation, Harris could rush through a vote on a new VP to have someone in place 'just in case', which would just require a majority vote in both houses (not currently an issue for the Democrats). If resignation was near-immediate, then Speaker Pelosi would become President Pelosi. At this time a pro tempore Speaker would be in charge of the House, who could conduct either a VP vote and/or a new Speaker vote. (I suspect at this stage we're probably entering the realm of constitutional crisis, the Democrats would be in chaos, the Republicans would be trying to orchestrate whatever's necessary to gain power). Anyway, with the stress of trying to hold the government together, and before the appointment of a new Speaker and VP, President Pelosi is found dead in bed and 88-year-old Senator Feinstein is now President Feinstein and the US has gone from having no female Presidents to 3 in no time at all. At this point, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken would be next in line to the Presidency (although the Senate could have elected the next senior Senator as the new pro-temp in Feinstein's absence. This would be 72-year-old Ron Wyden). Although, assuming everything stayed exactly the same in the 2022 Midterms, there would actually be a scenario where Feinstein's elevation to president would tip the Senate's balance to the Republicans (50-49 with one vacancy), This would mean, should Chuck Grassley indeed seek re-election in November, he would be the next Senate Pro-Temp. If he didn't, it would be Mitch McConnell. *shudders*. And they would then be behind Feinstein in the line of succession until the vacancies were filled. Thank you for coming to my TED-Talk.

There is one other thing to note: although the role has gone to the most senior member from the ruling party since 1949, the Senator Pro-Tempore is an elected position in the Senate. In January 2023, if the Democrats still control the Senate, they do not *have* to elect Feinstein as the new Pro-Temp, although it would be a big snub without good reason and she would be the first female Pro-Temp in US history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I wasn't really suggesting you were Alt-Right, more it is something the Alt-Right would love to occur. Agreed it is possible, although more the plot of a thriller novel than likely in reality. To play the hypothetical through, let's say Biden keels over tomorrow. Kamala Harris is sworn in as the new President and sets about choosing a new VP. In the time that takes, a major secret from the new President's past is revealed which forces her to resign from office. Assuming this scandal took a week or two to force resignation, Harris could rush through a vote on a new VP to have someone in place 'just in case', which would just require a majority vote in both houses (not currently an issue for the Democrats). If resignation was near-immediate, then Speaker Pelosi would become President Pelosi. At this time a pro tempore Speaker would be in charge of the House, who could conduct either a VP vote and/or a new Speaker vote. (I suspect at this stage we're probably entering the realm of constitutional crisis, the Democrats would be in chaos, the Republicans would be trying to orchestrate whatever's necessary to gain power). Anyway, with the stress of trying to hold the government together, and before the appointment of a new Speaker and VP, President Pelosi is found dead in bed and 88-year-old Senator Feinstein is now President Feinstein and the US has gone from having no female Presidents to 3 in no time at all. At this point, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken would be next in line to the Presidency (although the Senate could have elected the next senior Senator as the new pro-temp in Feinstein's absence. This would be 72-year-old Ron Wyden). Although, assuming everything stayed exactly the same in the 2022 Midterms, there would actually be a scenario where Feinstein's elevation to president would tip the Senate's balance to the Republicans (50-49 with one vacancy), This would mean, should Chuck Grassley indeed seek re-election in November, he would be the next Senate Pro-Temp. If he didn't, it would be Mitch McConnell. *shudders*. And they would then be behind Feinstein in the line of succession until the vacancies were filled. Thank you for coming to my TED-Talk.

There is one other thing to note: although the role has gone to the most senior member from the ruling party since 1949, the Senator Pro-Tempore is an elected position in the Senate. In January 2023, if the Democrats still control the Senate, they do not *have* to elect Feinstein as the new Pro-Temp, although it would be a big snub without good reason and she would be the first female Pro-Temp in US history.

*Pushes up glasses*

Technically Leahy hasn't ended his term yet so he would be President over Feinstein!

7 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

*Pushes up glasses*

Technically Leahy hasn't retired yet so he would be President of Feinstein!

The discussion was if she became Pro-Temp post-midterms. But correct for now, we can all breathe easy... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

*Pushes up glasses*

Technically Leahy hasn't ended his term yet so he would be President over Feinstein!

That’s why the last paragraph specifically mentions January 2023

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

That’s why the last paragraph specifically mentions January 2023

"To play the hypothetical through, let's say Biden keels over tomorrow."

I shall see myself out :P. You are right though @RoverAndOut. Thankfully it is highly unlikely

43 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Thanks for the mini Ted talk.Very informative ( not being sarcastic by the way).I was unaware the pro_tempore had to be elected by the Senate in which case Feinstein will  almost certainly lose as 4 Democratic Senators have anonymously said she isnt fit to be a Senator anymore let alone pro_temp .

How quickly can a VP be appointed?I know the last 2 occasions the VP became President it took months. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if Republicans take the House in 2022 and possibly even the Senate.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Thanks for the mini Ted talk.Very informative ( not being sarcastic by the way).I was unaware the pro_tempore had to be elected by the Senate in which case Feinstein will  almost certainly lose as 4 Democratic Senators have anonymously said she isnt fit to be a Senator anymore let alone pro_temp.

How quickly can a VP be appointed?I know the last 2 occasions the VP became President it took months. 

I, too, didn't realise the Pro-Temp was elected until I started reading, thought it was informal! So that's one way out, but as I say, the optics would be incredibly difficult for Feinstein and not befitting her stature.

Assuming you're referring to the appointments of Ford and Rockefeller, then those aren't necessarily great examples as at that time the Democrats controlled Congress and the Republicans the White House (although bi-partisan was much more common then than now). All that is required is to get a simple majority in both houses (not a supermajority). But it's the second highest office in the land, 'a heartbeat away from the Presidency' and potentially the favourite to be the next nominee for the party come election time. So you need to pick the right person (and not Sarah Palin). It could happen in days, but in all likelihood I suspect it would take at least a month. I assume the Republicans would demand hearings like a Supreme Court appointment (I suspect these would be required actually given the importance of office). It took about 5 weeks from Biden announcing Ketanji Brown Jackson's nomination to the Supreme Court (Feb 25th) to her being confirmed by the Senate (April 7th) and that was fairly painless. So about 5 weeks from the nomination, plus how ever long it takes to decide who to nominate.

• Like 1

Blimey, this is all very intellectual.

I thought I'd logged in to the wrong forum.:D

• Haha 13

Dianne Feinstein already portrayed like a corpse:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 07/06/2022 at 22:51, gcreptile said:

Dianne Feinstein already portrayed like a corpse:

Dianne Feinstein has no intention of stepping down early and is still debating whether to retire in 2024:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-12-12/feinstein-says-she-wont-step-down-early-from-senate

• Like 3