maryportfuncity

MMMDP 2023

Reet - We're in business on the stroke of midnight - entry list now full, masterlist compiled - all of this lot are still alive as of this post, right? Askin' for a friend, like!

MMMDP 2023

1.       Sergio Rico (Perhaps)

2.       Johnnie Irwin (Bibliogryphon)

3.       Munawwar Rana (GC Reptile

4.       Beverley Shade (An Fear Beag)

5.       Cresencia Garcia (TheSpinosaurus)

6.       Graham Caveney (msc)

7.       Christy Dignam (Steve)

8.       Phyllida Law (YorkshireBanker)

9.       Joanne Woodward (Grimgrass)

10.   Maria Branyas Morera (Great Uncle Bulgaria)

11.   Manohar Joshi. (Drol)

12.   Teresa Taylor (theoldlady)

13.   Jimmy Carter (TQR)

14.   David McCallum (Time)

15.   Rick Joyner (Spade Cooley)

16.   Hu Qili (arghton)

17.   Frank Field MP (Summer in Transyvania)

18.   Harrison Ruffin Tyler (Death Impends)

19.   Esther Rantzen (Commtech Sio Bibble)

20.   El Dandy (Captain Chorizo)

21.   Alwen Harris (MPFC)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Is there a reason my pick of Dianne Feinstein didn’t make it?

Yeah you posted well before most of the people here

8 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

image.png.095fe6f4cdf777cfeb96ae3c1530aaeb.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

To be fair that's my bad for trying to do the masterlist whilst also working and simply missing it between the other picks of Reptile and An Fear Beag, and then counting to 21. 

My mistake which I'll put right before play starts in 90 mins, so Dianne Feinstein is the 22nd in there, then. 

• Like 3

Every year…. I’ll never understand how this doesn’t start at midnight like literally every DP.  It says entries open June 1 but everyone sending entries 16 hours ago what is that 6pm on the 31st in the UK?  It fucking ain’t June 1st, which started 4 hours ago.

The winning answer was ‘Teacher of Teachers’ (ie Teacher of the Year) in Toledo, Ohio: Trish Sanders.  Doesn’t excuse the bullshit starting time.

I’ll claim pyrrhic victory this year and y’all can fuck off

SC

IMG_6713.png

• Facepalm 3

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Every year…. I’ll never understand how this doesn’t start at midnight like literally every DP.  It says entries open June 1 but everyone sending entries 16 hours ago what is that 6pm on the 31st in the UK?  It fucking ain’t June 1st, which started 4 hours ago.

The winning answer was ‘Teacher of Teachers’ (ie Teacher of the Year) in Toledo, Ohio: Trish Sanders.  Doesn’t excuse the bullshit starting time.

I’ll claim pyrrhic victory this year and y’all can fuck off

SC

IMG_6713.png

To be clear when entries "open" - we even specify the time zone: 

3 - Entries open at 9-00am BST on 31st May and close at midnight on 31 May. Entry can only be made by posting the name of a candidate on the MMMDP thread on the Deathlist.

4 – The competition is deemed to be open at 00-00-01 (i.e. the first second of the day) BST hrs on 1 June 2023.

Just an idea, like, SC - how about you set up a Pyrrhic Victory dead pool where the real winners aren't those with the winning scores? 

• Like 4

Reet gang, off on manoeurves in the local countryside on behalf of work (yeah, seriously) and mobile phone will be off most of the day. 

Let me know if owt happens - like someone on the masterlist dying, or summat

And I'll be back on it later this afternoon. :D

After looking at the lineups, I think we all did the same thing: picked people who could die today or still be alive 3 weeks from now. I could see anyone winning this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

To be clear when entries "open" - we even specify the time zone: 

3 - Entries open at 9-00am BST on 31st May and close at midnight on 31 May. Entry can only be made by posting the name of a candidate on the MMMDP thread on the Deathlist

Didn't this used to open at noon for entries?   That suited my body clock better :D

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Didn't this used to open at noon for entries?   That suited my body clock better :D

Advent Avalanche opened up at noon, Maryport always opened this pool up this early on (which is bad for a lot of Americans but eh life isn’t always about dead pooling)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Advent Avalanche opened up at noon, Maryport always opened this pool up this early on (which is bad for a lot of Americans but eh life isn’t always about dead pooling)

Aye, but...given America's ability to invent the incredible (y'know, like atom bombs and that) surely someone over there has the ingenuity to set up a dead pool with entry times to fuck with British body clocks, and cream the prizes for the Stateside entrants. 

Oh aye, and...no sign of an MMMDP death yet, or did I miss summat?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but...given America's ability to invent the incredible (y'know, like atom bombs and that) surely someone over there has the ingenuity to set up a dead pool with entry times to fuck with British body clocks, and cream the prizes for the Stateside entrants. 

Oh aye, and...no sign of an MMMDP death yet, or did I miss summat?

The Independence Day Deadpool

Terminal Thanksgiving 

Must Like Killing Deadpool

Lax Gun Law Deadpool

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The Independence Day Deadpool

Terminal Thanksgiving 

Must Like Killing Deadpool

Lax Gun Law Deadpool

Lax Gun Law Deadpool - you nominate a US state, confirm the population of said state and then compete over a year for the highest percentage in terms of mass shooting gun death per capita. 

Opens on the stroke of midnight, New Year's Day EST - meaning most Brits are too shagged out from partying to enter. 

Aye, that there's a winner with legs on it, or summat! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Lax Gun Law Deadpool - you nominate an US state, confirm the population of said state and then compete over a year for the highest percentage in terms of mass shooting gun death per capita. 

Opens on the stroke of midnight, New Year's Day EST - meaning most Brits are too shagged out from partying to enter. 

Aye, that there's a winner with legs on it, or summat! :D

I can hear the reaction now...

AyE, BuT wHaT aBoUt ThE wEsT CoAsT?

• Haha 1

Surprised no one picked Heath Streak - this pool doesn’t really start till Sir creep comes on complaining that he’s missed the deadline because the rules are wrong.

Good luck everyone - it’s my birthday on 31st May so I often dodge this as trawling dying people takes the edge off the joy of being one number closer to my own end!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Surprised no one picked Heath Streak - this pool doesn’t really start till Sir creep comes on complaining that he’s missed the deadline because the rules are wrong.

Good luck everyone - it’s my birthday on 31st May so I often dodge this as trawling dying people takes the edge off the joy of being one number closer to my own end!

Interesting, we share the same birthday
I also wanted to participate in this game, but registration opens at dawn here in Brazil and it's difficult for me

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

S'cuse the obvious question but do we learn from that that trawling dying people is an utter delight the other 364 days of the year? 

I'll out myself here, I'm fairly neutral on trawling potential carking talent, I'm more partial to the regular grim laughs hereabouts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

S'cuse the obvious question but do we learn from that that trawling dying people is an utter delight the other 364 days of the year? 

I'll out myself here, I'm fairly neutral on trawling potential carking talent, I'm more partial to the regular grim laughs hereabouts.

No I find the trawling for dying people a necessary evil of performing well in the pools but I don't enjoy it - as it happens I could quite easily have picked someone earlier in the week and just popped on here but my mind is normally full of other stuff on my birthday (which is a good thing).

I too am here for the laughs*** and also you do learn quite a lot about the dying and the dead that you might not otherwise read. It is regularly very useful in quizzes. 

*** I have very little interest in the super old community and super obscure never previously mentioned until they die that some are fascinated about persistently posting however each to their own. It's not doing me any harm but rarely provides the laughs or fascinating insights into famous people's lives that I am interested in.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

No I find the trawling for dying people a necessary evil of performing well in the pools but I don't enjoy it - as it happens I could quite easily have picked someone earlier in the week and just popped on here but my mind is normally full of other stuff on my birthday (which is a good thing).

I too am here for the laughs*** and also you do learn quite a lot about the dying and the dead that you might not otherwise read. It is regularly very useful in quizzes. 

*** I have very little interest in the super old community and super obscure never previously mentioned until they die that some are fascinated about persistently posting however each to their own. It's not doing me any harm but rarely provides the laughs or fascinating insights into famous people's lives that I am interested in.

Glad to hear it, re trawling the dying - done a random search and I think all the talent in the MMMDP is still breathing. Making this pool longer running than at least three of those that went before. Might need a tumbleweed graphic by tonight!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Belated happy birthday!

Oh, and Diego had his, too. Happy birthday, too!

• Thanks 2