gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

Yes, if there's an obit without the "lifelong dedication" etc... that would be good. Slightly strange that he didnt get a local shout out.

There's still time though.

• Like 1

Dave Cokin reported dead on Xwitter

This source claims it was the morning of July 30th.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Dave Cokin reported dead on Xwitter

This source claims it was the morning of July 30th.

Thanks. Yeah, last time I checked (yesterday) I was VERY curious about him not having tweeted for 5 days.

Well. I think that pretty much settles it?

The game was between "acute cases" (wannamaker) and "in hospice for months" people (max_bossetti). It does look like the acute case of Dave Cokin now decides the championship. Cokin was a Las Vegas radio host and legend of the betting community. He also occasionally wrote articles for the Las Vegas newspapers, which means that he might get a Yahoo obit, and would QO for the DDP. He had his own website, too, and by all accounts was a respected member of this shadowy industry. Maybe Nate Silver will tweet something about him? Cokin had been battling cancer for over a year and just retired in June correctly expecting to not live much longer.

Max_bossetti now only has Joanna Paul-Robie as a one-hit-winner. And there's no Fergie time here....

wannamaker 8-4 max_bossetti

• Like 4

And so the game concludes. Winner of the DeathList Cup 2024 is @wannamaker, congratulations!

Have a somewhat olympic-themed, AI-generated picture:

733350543_Designer(1).thumb.jpeg.1fb73171b7d2c920e39676cab4d44079.jpeg

(https://create.microsoft.com/en-us/features/ai-image-generator - prompt: "A deadpooler named wannamaker wins the gold medal in deadpooling")

Also, congratulations to max_bossetti for reaching the finals. He defeated a couple of VERY heavy hitters in his first year participating in this competition. He's immediately put himself on the map with these results.

• Like 11

Many congratulations to @wannamaker and hard luck to @max_bossetti

• Thanks 1

Grats to @wannamaker on a heck of a run - he's a Killer, not a Saver.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations, Wannamaker. 

Congratulations to Max_Bossetti, too, for putting up one hell of a game, even if it ended in second place.

• Thanks 2

Congratulations to @wannamaker! I couldn't have imagined a better outcome at the beginning of the competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats @wannamaker and @max_bossetti it was a very disputed confrontation in the final and decided at the end of the month

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the congratulations messages everyone, I never expected reaching the final, let alone winning the whole thing, so I'm still a bit surprised that I actually won this. Think I got lucky with some of my picks in the game, considering the hospice picks somehow survived longer than expected & I got at least one unique hit since April.

I want to give my respects to @max_bossetti. I'm pretty sure this was his first cup, so managing to reach the final is an impressive feat and this surely makes him a top candidate for next year's competition. I'll admit that there was a period of time where I was begging for Chuwit Kamolvisit to stay alive because I stupidly forgot to add Jane McAlevey in my team.

Well, that's about it, I'm horrible at doing acceptance speeches or whatever this is, so yeah, thanks for everything everyone :D.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Syed Golam Sarwar, my joker in the final, has died.

• Like 3