Guest Honez

Ronnie Barker

Guest Steve Browning

Sadly, the great man died yesterday (03 October 05) at around 12.30. He had suffered with heart problems for many years, but had recently made a return to acting and TV. One of his last roles was as a retire Army officer in the film "My House in Umbria"

Ronnie Barker was a true comic genius and a fine actor. He will be sadly missed.

When the news bulletin began "one of Britain's best-loved comic actors ..." I was certain we'd seen off Sir Norman. Ah well ... :)

Incidentally, does anyone know if the "third Ronnie", theme composer/conductor Ronnie Hazelhurst, is still about?

Incidentally, does anyone know if the "third Ronnie", theme composer/conductor Ronnie Hazelhurst, is still about?

Ronnie Hazelhurst is still alive

I am almost certain that Ronnie Barker played the part of a prison inmate in a 1970s sitcom called "Porridge."

[Too bad he is dead though. When I saw in the news headlines that Ronnie had died, I was hoping that they were talking about Ronnie Biggs]

Guest Jamie

yes he was in porridge. he played fletcher, the experianced inmate who knew his place and was still cheeky to warden mackay!!

RIP you great great man!!

You can find it here.

Interesting that they give his death as yesterday, obviously he died sometime last night but they did't make it public until this morning.

I feel quite melancholy. He may have been a miserable old bugger (I have quite a lot of anecdotal evidence of this as his Mum lived in the next village to us when I was a child), but he was in three of the finest comedy shows ever made by the BBC, The Two Ronnies, Porridge and Open All Hours. I'll forgive him Clarence, no-one's perfect.

OK - if anyone else is going to post here to announce that Ronnie Barker has died -

WE KNOW

Thank you.

Guest paul miles

yup he was in porridge a great show 1 of the best will really miss the guy a legend rip ronnie.

I agree that he was a brilliant comic actor, you couldn't really put up with the endless repeats of Poridge otherwise.

Looking back at the early entries on this thread, I see no mention of any heart trouble - just that he'd closed his shop (surely a sign that his life was winding down) and something about his son (not actually specified).

So although he appeared on the DL radar, we never really put the pieces together to make him a viable candidate in time.

Is this our bad?

Was it the tribute show that put us off the scent?

Is this our bad?

Well, it's not good. :referee:

Well obviously. What I meant was do you think we should have got him as a candidate?

Or was the heart attack a bit of a surprise?

Guest oscar

the guy was a legend in his own lifetime... r.i.p. Ronnie -thanks for the laughs :referee:;):D

I'm not surprised he wasn't listed (and never has been to my knowledge) - under 80 with no well-documented health problems. I don't think anyone could have expected him to meet his maker this year. The only clue came from the title of one of the Piggy Malone & Charley Farley series:

"DEATH ... can be fatal." :referee:

I'm not surprised he wasn't listed (and never has been to my knowledge)  - under 80 with no well-documented health problems. I don't think anyone could have expected him to meet his maker this year. The only clue came from the title of one of the Piggy Malone & Charley Farley series:

"DEATH ... can be fatal."  :referee:

Ronnie Barker was actually selected at position # 34 on the 1993 deathlist. But I guess that since there were no reports of him having any health problems, his name had been omitted since then.

Guest HEATHER JARDINE

R.I.P Ronnie you was a fantastic comedian Goodbye buddy

YES

Good to see him back after many years out of the limelight. Struggles to deliver his lines on The Two Ronnies these days though.

DWB  :referee:

When he passes on, will the show be known as "The Ronnie"?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was the last Baker related post until this morning.

Let's cut through the obit stuff and relate this back to DL (although great comic actor and all that).

As I recall he originally retired due to heart trouble ,hence Harry Enfeild/Loadsamoney's joke that you should feel free to go into his shop, shout "BOOO" at the top of your voice, watch him go into cardiac arrest and say "That pacemaker must be an antique. I'll give you £50 quid for it" ,way back in the late 80's.

He kept on coming back to accept awards and was in at least one straight to video film with Maggie Smith. In fact he has been on TV at least twice a year for the last 10 years or so talking about the fact that he was retired. All the time looking surprisingly healthy.

So the issue of his health has waxed and wained for years. It would have been a good outside bet to have him on the DL but there was no way of being assured that he would peg it so in terms of percentages we have done well to leave him off.

Anyone care to disagree?

Ronnie Barker was actually selected at position # 34 on the 1993 deathlist.

And nr. 22 in 1990.

regards,

Hein

I think it has been only in the last year or so, that it was clear that Ronnie Barker wasn't well. In the Two Ronnies Sketch Book, he was clearly ailing and there were reports in the newspapers about his declining health, particularly considering the strain of his son's misdemeanors.

My favourite Two Ronnies sketch was 'Rook Soup':

CORBETT: I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

BARKER: (under his breath) It bloody is.

I'm starting to feel old when all the people I liked TV as a youth are pegging it :referee:

Guest Nicky nick
:referee: Ronjnie barker died today ~sniffs~...but on a good side...we get months and months of reruns YEY...god rest your merry sould ronnie...you will never be forgotten

Does anyone else suspect that we have a guest taking the piss?

Could have somthing to do with a certain request?

Ok for those that need the point reiterated.

Yes "Ronnie Barker" has passed over, passed away, slipped away, no longer with us, snuffed it, pegged it, keeled over, dead as a dodo, stone dead, a stiff, a corpse, totalled, cashed his chips in and formost "DEAD". :referee:

Whatever you want to call it, he still was one hell of a funny person. I'm sure he will be spreading humour wherever he ends up ;)

SP

Guest Dij

It's great loss to comedy, Ronnie Barker was a comedic GENIUS. He will br greatly missed.