Guest Honez

Ronnie Barker

Guest Guest
.. there's a mental institution just down the street.

Have they noticed you missing yet?

Your like so many typical moderators of forums, and yes, i am generalising. You may be a moderator, but you sure as hell like to act childish, can see this in your pointless posts due to boredom. If you read back, the saddest thing is that you're all argueing against me to prove a point that not showing the dead respect is a good thing or discussing and mocking people such as Ronnie Barker is also a good thing.

Unless I've missed it, nobody has been "mocking" Ronnie Barker, or "saying horrid things" about him. The worst anyone has said, is that some of his TV work was not as good as "Porridge" or "The Two Ronnies". What's wrong with that?

Your like so many typical moderators of forums, and yes, i am generalising. You may be a moderator, but you sure as hell like to act childish, can see this in your pointless posts due to boredom. If you read back, the saddest thing is that you're all argueing against me to prove a point that not showing the dead respect is a good thing or discussing and mocking people such as Ronnie Barker is also a good thing.

There's a lot to be said for forums (fora?) where guests are not allowed to post.

Read over your last post, then decide sensibly whether you felt it was really needed.  ?

Thank you for your comments, I have considered if my last post was really needed and decided it was. How can I try and be less clever? Should I batter myself over the head with a plank of wood and hope for brain damage?

If you wish to avoid sarcasm, I think you might be in the wrong place.

:D

Perhaps he could add his comments to this debate. He'd find lots of sympathetic people there. Like this person:

you know it is illegal SO WHY DO IT WHAT ABOUT YOURSELF WHEN POP YOUR TOES UP
:D

There's a lot to be said for forums (fora?) where guests are not allowed to post.

I disagree Janeo.

People like our esteemed guest need and deserve a place where they can display their inability to understand a plain argument.

Mr/Ms. Guest, let me use simple language to disabuse you of a few notions.

1. Because someone has died, they don't automatically deserve respect. You said as much yourself. That isn't the same thing as promoting wholesale disrespect for the dead. You are putting words into our mouths. How cheap and how pathetic.

2. Most of us are respectful towards the dead. If they deserve it. Nobody has yet said anything bad about Ronnie Barker except for one guest who met him in person so should know what he means.

3. The personal pronoun "I" is spelt with a capital letter. Always.

4. A man is not a potato.

I've just read all those comments (the debate on the BBC page, that is) - thought I recognised a familiar name or two there? :D For months I've been reading about this DDP, and at last I know what it is!

Also there's a few people if you say you mean no harm, who mock some of the people who have died, which i have noticed as soon as i read through a few pages on the site.

Surely something should be done about these types of people.

If it's a forum to respect those who've died, no problem, but some of the posters here do anything but that i feel.

I don't think that just because someone is dead they deserve respect.

I must fall into the category of "that type of person", about which something needs to be done. I wonder what it'll be: perhaps I'll have to endure some sort of social punishment, whereby I'm forced to march up and down the street wearing a sandwich board or something.

If your whole family but you was wiped out in a plague and someone came to your funeral and started making horrid comments about your family....i bet you wouldn't sit there saying "fine if that's your opinion". And if you would, there's a mental institution just down the street.

Wow. So many points to disagree with, so little time.

First of all (and I shall leave my possible transference to the institution out of this), yes: I think that people are well within their rights not to feel any kind of faux-emotion towards others after they die. I would suggest that if there was a funeral for my entire family, and there were members of the community/public who did not like them, these community members are perfectly within their rights not to have to pander to this ridiculous societal doctrine whereby just because someone is dead, they deserve respect. Granted, I don't think I'd necessarily like them to be at the funeral, but I would absolutely respect their right NOT to attend the funeral, and they would be more than welcome to voice their opinions elsewhere.

An example: look at the public mourning debacle following Diana's death (as discussed elsewhere, in the Diana thread). The general public was absolutely forced, via the press media, into a discourse of "respect" for her, regardless of what they acutally believed, and ALL other discourses were basically forbidden (so much for freedom of the press..). How is that respectful? It's false, hypocritical, and tacky.

I'm glad Ronald Regan is dead. I think he was an evil man who committed horrible acts. He didn't have my respect before he died, and just because he's dead does not mean I'm going to change my opinion.

Secondly, you CANNOT get up on the soapbox, announce that all dead people deserve respect, and then provide a list of exceptions (i.e. murderers) because you don't like them! I think you need to open your eyes and stop being brainwashed by the society you live in. So now I ask YOU: why don't murderers deserve your respect? You should also think about your words before you express them.

Finally, maybe you should reconsider what you mean by the word respect. It's a term I've been thinking about for a while, as I think it's meaning is ambiguous, and I think it's a term which gets bandied about without much thought behind it.

Mature enough for you? Or does the fact that I've expressed opinions different to yours mean that I'm immature?

I disagree Janeo.

People like our esteemed guest need and deserve a place where they can display their inability to understand a plain argument.

Mr/Ms. Guest, let me use simple language to disabuse you of a few notions.

1. Because someone has died, they don't automatically deserve respect. You said as much yourself. That isn't the same thing as promoting wholesale disrespect for the dead. You are putting words into our mouths. How cheap and how pathetic.

2. Most of us are respectful towards the dead. If they deserve it. Nobody has yet said anything bad about Ronnie Barker except for one guest who met him in person so should know what he means.

3. The personal pronoun "I" is spelt with a capital letter. Always.

4. A man is not a potato.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess DL offers a kind of "care in the community" for these poor souls. If they weren't posting misspelt twaddle here they might be out mugging old ladies or something.

It was not long ago I was watching a rerun of "open all hours" and I thought to myself what a load of sh**e . Perhaps other members have had a similar experience.
Did anyone else find "Open All Hours" bloody depressing or was that just me?

"Open all hours", TV to slit your wrists to.

I'd rather endure The Moomins.

Perhaps, I always thought of OAH as a light comedy, not meant to be taken seriously. Anyway we should probably be rembering "Porridge" as his finest hour, not a sitcom just intended to pay the rent.

As an alternative, why don't we just move them all to the "Irate Visitors Rage Here If You Must" thread. Afterall the new mod's aren't exactly shy about moving/merging threads.

This would have the advantage that they wouldn't take up space and destroy the flow of topics. Plus we can all still go in for a spot of ranter-baiting when the mood takes us.

Or breeding.

Terrifying thought. :D

So, i'll ask for you, WHY don't you think someone deserves respect if they've died? (Obviously not talking about anyone, murderers who die blatently don't deserve respect.)

[:D]

Respect is possibly the most over-used and under-understood word of the last decade. I personally blame rap 'musicians' for the fad, but there are deeper reasons behind the phenomenon.

Respect is not a right, but something one can earn or lose by achievement. Some people I respect, some I detest and by far the most I don't know and don't care about. I believe everyone has a right to be treated with a minimum of politeness, but that's not respect. My respect, or lack thereof, for people, dead or alive, comes from what they did.

Let me explain this numerically. I propose a respect scale of -10 to 10. 10 is for people I utterly respect, e.g. Wim Kok, Stephen Jay Gould and Nelson Mandela. -10 is for the downright evil and the incompetent in a position of power, such as Jan Peter Balkenende, L. Ron Hubbard and Robert Mugabe. All people are born with respect level 0. Almost all people remain exactly there, only those that I get to know personally or learn about and do things that are meaningful to me earn or lose points. Good Things earn points, Bad Things lose points. Of course, I'm the judge of which is which.

When someone dies she or he keeps their respect level, unless unknown facts surface. One does not gain or lose respect by dying. The classic maxim "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" is complete rubbish. If it weren't we couldn't talk about the evil things the dead did. Fortunately we can and we cheerfully do.

What does this all mean for DeathList? The purpose of this web site is discussion of celebrities who we expect to die soon. Most of those celebs are worthy of respect, some are not. The fact is that not only fame, but also notoriety leads to celebrity status. Besides: even the good do bad things, and there's no reason to keep that out of the discussion.

[/:banghead:]

regards,

Hein

I'm all in favour of speaking ill of the dead. In fact it's the best time to do it as they can't answer back or sue.

So, i'll ask for you, WHY don't you think someone deserves respect if they've died? (Obviously not talking about anyone, murderers who die blatently don't deserve respect.)

[:D]

Respect is possibly the most over-used and under-understood word of the last decade. I personally blame rap 'musicians' for the fad, but there are deeper reasons behind the phenomenon.

Respect is not a right, but something one can earn or lose by achievement. Some people I respect, some I detest and by far the most I don't know and don't care about. I believe everyone has a right to be treated with a minimum of politeness, but that's not respect. My respect, or lack thereof, for people, dead or alive, comes from what they did.

Let me explain this numerically. I propose a respect scale of -10 to 10. 10 is for people I utterly respect, e.g. Wim Kok, Stephen Jay Gould and Nelson Mandela. -10 is for the downright evil and the incompetent in a position of power, such as Jan Peter Balkenende, L. Ron Hubbard and Robert Mugabe. All people are born with respect level 0. Almost all people remain exactly there, only those that I get to know personally or learn about and do things that are meaningful to me earn or lose points. Good Things earn points, Bad Things lose points. Of course, I'm the judge of which is which.

When someone dies she or he keeps their respect level, unless unknown facts surface. One does not gain or lose respect by dying. The classic maxim "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" is complete rubbish. If it weren't we couldn't talk about the evil things the dead did. Fortunately we can and we cheerfully do.

What does this all mean for DeathList? The purpose of this web site is discussion of celebrities who we expect to die soon. Most of those celebs are worthy of respect, some are not. The fact is that not only fame, but also notoriety leads to celebrity status. Besides: even the good do bad things, and there's no reason to keep that out of the discussion.

[/:banghead:]

regards,

Hein

MH - I agree completely!

It's like the notion that one should respect the elderly.

I take issue with this: why should I respect someone just because they're old? If they deserve my respect, they'll have it, regardless of their age. I think it winds me up somewhat because by implication it means that those who are older than me don't need to respect me, simply because I'm younger.

Drives me nuts. Off to the institution...

Guest Guest
Also there's a few people if you say you mean no harm, who mock some of the people who have died, which i have noticed as soon as i read through a few pages on the site.

Surely something should be done about these types of people.

If it's a forum to respect those who've died, no problem, but some of the posters here do anything but that i feel.

I don't think that just because someone is dead they deserve respect.

I must fall into the category of "that type of person", about which something needs to be done. I wonder what it'll be: perhaps I'll have to endure some sort of social punishment, whereby I'm forced to march up and down the street wearing a sandwich board or something.

If your whole family but you was wiped out in a plague and someone came to your funeral and started making horrid comments about your family....i bet you wouldn't sit there saying "fine if that's your opinion". And if you would, there's a mental institution just down the street.

Wow. So many points to disagree with, so little time.

First of all (and I shall leave my possible transference to the institution out of this), yes: I think that people are well within their rights not to feel any kind of faux-emotion towards others after they die. I would suggest that if there was a funeral for my entire family, and there were members of the community/public who did not like them, these community members are perfectly within their rights not to have to pander to this ridiculous societal doctrine whereby just because someone is dead, they deserve respect. Granted, I don't think I'd necessarily like them to be at the funeral, but I would absolutely respect their right NOT to attend the funeral, and they would be more than welcome to voice their opinions elsewhere.

An example: look at the public mourning debacle following Diana's death (as discussed elsewhere, in the Diana thread). The general public was absolutely forced, via the press media, into a discourse of "respect" for her, regardless of what they acutally believed, and ALL other discourses were basically forbidden (so much for freedom of the press..). How is that respectful? It's false, hypocritical, and tacky.

I'm glad Ronald Regan is dead. I think he was an evil man who committed horrible acts. He didn't have my respect before he died, and just because he's dead does not mean I'm going to change my opinion.

Secondly, you CANNOT get up on the soapbox, announce that all dead people deserve respect, and then provide a list of exceptions (i.e. murderers) because you don't like them! I think you need to open your eyes and stop being brainwashed by the society you live in. So now I ask YOU: why don't murderers deserve your respect? You should also think about your words before you express them.

Finally, maybe you should reconsider what you mean by the word respect. It's a term I've been thinking about for a while, as I think it's meaning is ambiguous, and I think it's a term which gets bandied about without much thought behind it.

Mature enough for you? Or does the fact that I've expressed opinions different to yours mean that I'm immature?

With your final un-needed line aside, i can see that i'm not getting anywhere, i felt i needed to express my view, as for your question about why don't i feel murderers deserve respect, it's self-explanatory.

as for your question about why don't i feel murderers deserve respect, it's self-explanatory.

Really? What if Saddam Hussein was assasinated? How would you feel about his murderer?

Guest Guest
as for your question about why don't i feel murderers deserve respect, it's self-explanatory.

Really? What if Saddam Hussein was assasinated? How would you feel about his murderer?

happy :). Now you're putting words in my mouth, if 2 wrongs made someone be murdered, i wouldn't care either way, it's the murder of an innocent that i don't agree with or respect :).

I see tickets for the Two Ronnies stage show are now half price on Ebay

Not written by Ben Elton, I hope.

They clearly had no chemistry as a performance team unlike, say Morecombe and Wise, or Mel Smith and Gryff Rees Jones. Indeed I always got the impression that Barker thought RC was a telentless little gnome and bore every minute he was on screen with him with teeth-grinding annoyance.

Actually the two Ron's were great off screen friends as well.

Even after his retirement, they kept in close contact, going round each others for tea, etc.

He kept on coming back to accept awards and was in at least one straight to video film with Maggie Smith.

My House In Umbria didn't go straight to video, but actually had a reasonable theatrical release.

He kept on coming back to accept awards and was in at least one straight to video film with Maggie Smith.

My House In Umbria didn't go straight to video, but actually had a reasonable theatrical release.

It was selling for 99p in Blockbuster three weeks ago alongside five year old Danny Baker videos.

Guest the doctor
Does anyone know if Ronnie Barker's dead yet?

ronnie barker died a few days ago