Amanda

I Love Josco's Little Man

Bloody brilliant - thank you!! When I opened those pictures, I managed to laugh with a mouthful of hot chocolate and spray mouthful all over computer ....so now it's even less likely to work! Worth it though! Call me vile, but I would LOVE one of those as my avatar and I'm going to figure out how to do it later.

Hey, did Judy Finnegan (from Richard and Judy fame) used to be an alcoholic?

Is Judy Finnegan still an alcohlic?

Thanks!!!!

Possibly.She certaily looks as if she has the dts alright.

People keep telling me that (by the way, what does the dt's stand for?) and when I look, I don't know if I actually CAN see it, or I just THINK I can see it because people tell me she does.

Bloody like Judy though. I used to skive off school and lie on the sofa and pretend her and Richard were my parents... they were the days eh?! *sigh*

by the way, what does the dt's stand for?

delerium tremens (ie "the shakes").

Please excuse the wobbly writing.... :(

Guest One Man Jury
People keep telling me that (by the way, what does the dt's stand for?)

Delirium tremens is a disorder involving sudden and severe mental changes (psychosis) or neurologic changes (including seizures) caused by abruptly stopping the use of alcohol. Rapid pulse rate, elevated blood pressure, and temperature elevation also may be present.

A more accurate description ...... so there Mr Terminator. HIC!

People keep telling me that (by the way, what does the dt's stand for?)

Delirium tremens is a disorder involving sudden and severe mental changes (psychosis) or neurologic changes (including seizures) caused by abruptly stopping the use of alcohol. Rapid pulse rate, elevated blood pressure, and temperature elevation also may be present.

A more accurate description ...... so there Mr Terminator. HIC!

Well, Mr One Man Jury, I see you can articulate your current illness.

Keep taking the Pils(ner). :(

....mine's a large one (hic)!!!! :(

So, Delirium Tremens - do these only happen to alcoholics, or can this happen as a one-off? e.g. if you've been out for a heavy session, but generally you don't drink, apart from for special occasions.

Thank you.

I watched an alcoholic ex-boyfriend attempt to abstain from the what I like to call Satan's P*ss once. Aside from the fact that he was obviously in some pain etc, it was bloody interesting.

Sweat was just shooting out of him - not dripping, but kind of squirting out of his pores. It was fascinating. It was like somebody was holding a watering can over his head. And he vomitted like the Exorcist, had stomach cramps and palpitations, hallucinations... sadly, he only lasted 4 hours without a drink. Needless to say, we are no longer together, which is a shame, because he was a really nice man.

Is it true that if you are a full-blown alcoholic, that should you stop just suddenly, it can kill you?

So, Delirium Tremens - do these only happen to alcoholics, or can this happen as a one-off? e.g. if you've been out for a heavy session, but generally you don't drink, apart from for special occasions.

Thank you.

I watched an alcoholic ex-boyfriend attempt to abstain from the what I like to call Satan's P*ss once. Aside from the fact that he was obviously in some pain etc, it was bloody interesting.

Sweat was just shooting out of him - not dripping, but kind of squirting out of his pores. It was fascinating. It was like somebody was holding a watering can over his head. And he vomitted like the Exorcist, had stomach cramps and palpitations, hallucinations... sadly, he only lasted 4 hours without a drink. Needless to say, we are no longer together, which is a shame, because he was a really nice man.

Is it true that if you are a full-blown alcoholic, that should you stop just suddenly, it can kill you?

Apart from the DT's, I understand seeing Pink Elephants are another sympton. Never really sobered up enough to see them myself.

Was this boyfriend an alcoholic before or after be became an 'ex'?

Also, what is the recipe for satan's p**s, sounds jolly good if it can make one sweat like a horse.

Yes. To the best of my knowledge it's the only recreational substance from which sudden withdrawal can be fatal.

SO, anyone know any famous alcoholics likely to go cold turkey?

Apart from the DT's, I understand seeing Pink Elephants are another sympton. Never really sobered up enough to see them myself.

Was this boyfriend an alcoholic before or after be became an 'ex'?

Also, what is the recipe for satan's p**s, sounds jolly good if it can make one sweat like a horse.

He was an alcoholic before ... and also a smack addict.

But I didn't know about the heroin until waaaaaay later in relationship....

... and it sounds dim, but I kind of put his behaviour and absences down to his alcoholism and his job...

... and I've never known any heroin addicts, so it's hard to know what to look for...

... then I found out and wasted months trying to help him give up both or either or anything, and he just took my money, lied some more and buggered off and left me when my cash ran out.

(gasps, sobs, fights for breath, sobs, sniffs, wipes snotty nose on back on hand, sobs, sniffs, sniffs, dog licks face out of sympathy, blindly fumbles for tissue or similar absorbent fabric, regains breath enough to continue typing)

Nice! And 10 months later I'm not over it!!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But anyway, Satan's Piss?! Next time you're in Gloucestershire I'll whip you one up ...!

Delerium tremens is the "medical" term for alcohol withdrawal, and it's only very rarely fatal. Withdrawal form heroin, other opiate derivatives, and severe stimulate addictions can be as bad or worse, with a similarly rare fatality rate. It's odd that the "other" withdrawals don't have similarly familiar "medical" terms; sort of an homage to the societal acceptance of alcohol addiction over other drugs.

Amanda, get over it, there's nothing you could have done, and he's dead already. He just doesn't know it yet. (Harsh, I realize, but true, nonetheless. And live with the "z", damnit.)

And, Josco, as an aside, the pink elephants are symptomatic of the drunken condition rather than the withdrawal. Mine's called Percy.

Mine's called Percy

I have one called Percy too. He's pink and large, but there the similarities end! :lol:

Mine's called Percy

I have one called Percy too. He's pink and large, but there the similarities end! :lol:

As well as the similarity to "large", eh?

Amanda, get over it, there's nothing you could have done, and he's dead already. He just doesn't know it yet. (Harsh, I realize, but true, nonetheless. And live with the "z", damnit.)

Thank you Typhoid Harry, you are of course right. And get over it I am trying!

I couldn't give a toss about "s" or "z", I just feel crushed when people keep picking me up on my mistakes and feel the need to apologise beforehand!!!

Infact:

I am sorry in advance for any spelling and grammatical errors which may occur in my posts from herein. If there was a spell checking facility here then please be assured that I would use it. When I type here I'm either cold, tired or busy and so I'm not really too bothered about how sloppy my typing. Sadly, I don't have the time to check my spelling with a dictionary, and frankly, I couldn't be bothered anyway.

Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's down to my dodgy space bar sorryyyyyyyyyyyy!

I quit!!

Blimey, looks like you've got dodgy r,g,h and y buttons too........

Any luck with an avatar yet?

I am sorry in advance for any spelling and grammatical errors which may occur in my posts from herein. If there was a spell checking facility here then please be assured that I would use it. When I type here I'm either cold, tired or busy and so I'm not really too bothered about how sloppy my typing. Sadly, I don't have the time to check my spelling with a dictionary, and frankly, I couldn't be bothered anyway.

Oh dear, this could run and run. In another thread (I love Mr Josco's little man) Amanda seemed to be quite upset over being corrected for spelling and grammar. Please do not take this to heart. Among my circle of friends and acquaintances it is considered mandatory to joke and tease one another for all ones foibles and eccentricities. This is in no way akin to the kind of 'playground' teasing and bullying that it may appear to an outsider. I enjoy this forum because of the feedback from other members, both negative and positive, and I do not believe that any of it is intentionally wounding, but is more playing to an audience and trying to raise a laugh. The kind of banter one would encounter with friends over several pints in a convivial atmosphere. I trust it is not too presumptuous to consider that the members of this forum could be such people.

This has also been covered in another thread (Declining Standards), and at the risk of opening myself up to abuse; I believe that correct English and grammar are of paramount importance if one is to be correctly understood. English is a very difficult language to master as my esteemed colleague Magere Hein pointed out with this link. I do think that if one speaks what used to be called the Queen's English (or BBC English or even RP) then spelling is considerably easier as in many cases words are pronounced as they are spelt. Grammar and punctuation are also to be considered when one is making a point whilst writing.

"Jake, my brother and I went to the pub" equals three people, whereas: "Jake my brother and I went to the pub" is one less drink to buy. A simple example, but one that I hope illustrates the importance of punctuation.

No doubt some of you reading this will be examining it in miniscule detail looking for an error with which to berate me, but I care not. I shall simply let the waves of criticism and derision wash over me with a British stiff upper lip and a large

Hendricks gin & tonic

No doubt some of you reading this will be examining it in miniscule detail looking for an error with which to berate me, but I care not. I shall simply let the waves of criticism and derision wash over me with a British stiff upper lip and a large

Hendricks gin & tonic

Good choice. More a Plymouth man myself.

Being a gin slut, Gordons generally serves me just fine. However, such is the power of advertising that I now feel the need to obtain a bottle of Hendricks, just for research purposes, you understand. :devil:

Being a gin slut,.....

You a lady(,) Slave? Didn't realise. Live and learn and all that.:devil:

Tanquerray is quite nice too, but I'd be surprised if I didn't feel the need to try some Hendricks soon.

Dutch Genever is also very tasty.

Being a gin slut, Gordons generally serves me just fine. However, such is the power of advertising that I now feel the need to obtain a bottle of Hendricks, just for research purposes, you understand. :devil:

Not too easy to obtain, I had to go to Harvey Nicks (in Leeds).

Incroyable.....

I make a post pouring out my feelings, and all I get are replies and comments from a herd of dipsomaniacs keen to try a new beverage.

(Not sure of the collective noun for drinkers, perhaps a sludge of dipso's.)