Deb'sdead

Titanic Survivors

:lol::wub::wub:

Top link CP, thanks.

I like the logic:

More Truth:

An iceberg was blamed for sinking the Titanic. Yeah right. Do they expect us to believe that ice--which is frozen water--is stronger than metal--the stuff they make swords out of? If icebergs are really that tough, then why don't people make boats out of icebergs instead?

Do you think Banshees Scream is involved in that site:

Truth:

I don't know what this graph means, but I'm pretty sure it's proof that Jews were involved.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a82185/dr...c-survivor.html

I wonder what she thought of all the films about the Titanic then?

For all her tender feelings crusty old Milvena has used her status as a career opportunity, not above appearing on those 'what's my secret' type television programmes in the past and - ironic as it seems - often handy with a strong opinion against those exploiting the tragedy in other arenas. Her lucidity in this instance has me reconsidering her on the passenger list for my DDP team.

She has also been quoted as saying that she can't face having ice in her drinks because of the Titanic's fate. How ridiculous.

I met her once - seems a tough old bird. Might be a year or two in her yet.

Due to her status as being the last one of them all I think she desterves a spot for the 2008 list.

Not wanting to start a new thread I thought this the most appropriate place to ask, after watching the TV programme last night on the Lusitania, whether there were any surviving survivors? Since it was later than the Titanic and since there were kids that survived it's quite possible that there are. If so they would almost certainly get an obit. But I suspect they're all gone. Anyone know?

Well back in 2005, there were apparentely only two left: Audrey Lawson-Johnston and Barbara McDermott.

According to the German Wikipedia, McDermott is still alive and will be turning 95 shortly. Similarly, it lists Lawson-Johnson is also alive at 92 years of age.

Also if you don't trust Wikipedia, genarians.com lists them both as still living, and they do far superior research.

CP this could be a real find. Lusitania survivors are just as important as Titanic survivors in their own way. Sadly they're not going to earn many points in the DDP except perhaps as unique picks if no-one else has noticed this. Let's keep it to ourselves.

I hope that you didn't squander the opportunity Godot, as McDermott has died

New spin on an old story but the Titanic sank because the rivets used were substandard. Obviously this has been mooted as a cause, or partial cause, for years. But that book they're pushing is new.

I always thought it sank because it hit a big block of ice. :) :)

On the subject of last survivors from sea disasters, Ted Briggs, the last of only three survivors of a crew of 1,418 at the time of the sinking of the HMS Hood has died. Almost picked him for the DDP this year, but thought he was hale and getting around...

Are there any other survivors out there of any other disasters or is Millvina Dean the last? I wondered if anyone might know.

Are there any other survivors out there of any other disasters or is Millvina Dean the last? I wondered if anyone might know.

f*****g loads but you'd have to be careful about nominating them. I mean, Andy Murray survived the Dunblane massacre. You could always walk into a few London pubs and say in a loud assertive voice: 'I say, do any of you chaps know a person who survived the sinking of the Marchioness, I'd like to check on their health ahead of a deadpool entry?' Doubtless you'll get a response.

f*****g loads but you'd have to be careful about nominating them. I mean, Andy Murray survived the Dunblane massacre. You could always walk into a few London pubs and say in a loud assertive voice: 'I say, do any of you chaps know a person who survived the sinking of the Marchioness, I'd like to check on their health ahead of a deadpool entry?' Doubtless you'll get a response.

Joking apart it might be an interesting exercise to list single disasters or war time exploits some time ago that might have newsworthy survivors - The Munich Air crash, for example. Any old submarines? Air ships? The Cockleshell heroes? Colditz? Butlins? ITMA? Do we have a general survivor thread?

Do we have a general survivor thread?

Nope, and though it goes against every post-whoring instinct of mine I'd suggest we don't need one. It would make more sense to accept Milvena Dean is gonna croak soonish and rebrand this thread in a more general way.

TITLE: Surviving Disaster, No Problem

Sub-title: Escaping Death, Impossible.

Or summat.

Hmm, Hindenburg Survivors...

Here's some fresh off the press news from 2007.

Oh! The Huge Manitee!

Looks like Werner Doehner is the one to watch there.

Rochus Misch the last remaining remaining survivor of the Führerbunker, is 90 years old.

Guest elaina harris
Anyone out there know if there are any Titanic survivors left? Is Millvena?Dean still alive?

Milvena Dean is still alive

She was in the news yesterday 15/10/08

Not sure why it took six months to hold that auction (or maybe there was more than one), but it's taking place on Saturday.

I think it's because it's the anniversary. There is a British Titanic Society convention every year on the weekend nearest the anniversary, it always used to be in Southampton, but I think lately they've held it in different places. That would help publicise it.

That drama queen Kate Winslet is stepping in to help that drama queen Milvina Dean. A while back I suspected Ms Winslet of being a poster on here - perhaps ie - obviously not, if she maintains such a callous attitude to deadpoolers.

The Millvina Fund was launched in Belfast on Monday, where the Titanic was built.

So we can expect it to sink first time out then! <_<