Deb'sdead

Titanic Survivors

There were 3 survivors up unto recently and the last remaining survivor that could recall the events of that tragic day is now dead, from Wikipedia:

On May 6, 2006, the last American survivor and the last survivor to have memories of Titanic's sinking, Lillian Gertrud Asplund, died at her home in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. Asplund, who was just 5 years old at the time, lost her father and three brothers (including her fraternal twin) in the tragedy. Her mother Selma Asplund and brother Felix, then three, survived. Selma Asplund had died on the anniversary of the sinking in 1964.

At the time of Lillian Asplund's death, survivors Barbara West Dainton of Truro, England, ten months old at the time of the sinking, and Millvina Dean of Southampton, England, who was two months old, were still living, but were too young to have memories of the catastrophe. Therefore, with the death of Lillian Gertrude Asplund, firsthand passenger experience of the Titanic's sinking has passed out of living memory.

It said on that film that the last survivor had died. I understand this might not be the case. Does anyone know if any survivors are left alive now and who they may be?

You know Godot, seeing that clip not only got me excited for another Leo DiCaprio movie, but also got me to wondering the same as you - are there any people who sailed on the Titanic who are alive to this day? It seems so unlikely that there could be, but if by some miracle there were to be one (or even two) survivors, I think we should include them on the 2007 list, because surviving the Titanic disaster has to be the most famous achievement in the history of the World.

It was only 1912 it happened, not even 100 years ago. I think we should wait until there is just 1 remaining survivor and then include them on the list. :banghead:

That could be difficult if they were both to die in the same year.

It said on that film that the last survivor had died. I understand this might not be the case. Does anyone know if any survivors are left alive now and who they may be?

You know Godot, seeing that clip not only got me excited for another Leo DiCaprio movie, but also got me to wondering the same as you - are there any people who sailed on the Titanic who are alive to this day? It seems so unlikely that there could be, but if by some miracle there were to be one (or even two) survivors, I think we should include them on the 2007 list, because surviving the Titanic disaster has to be the most famous achievement in the history of the World.

It was only 1912 it happened, not even 100 years ago. I think we should wait until there is just 1 remaining survivor and then include them on the list. ;)

That could be difficult if they were both to die in the same year.

Yeah.. but seriously, I don't really think they are famous enough anyways to be included, especially seeing as they can't even remember it. The last American and one with memories of the event dying was quite significant. :banghead:

Does anyone know if any survivors are left alive now and who they may be?

Noooooooooo. This question has been asked too many times in this thread. :banghead:

No to there's none still alive or no as in frustration in people keep asking? I'm pretty certain there is still 2 still alive. I'm sure that's what Wikipedia says... ;)

Xenon,

I was expressing my fustration at the question concerning whether or not there were any Titanic survivors alive today being asked once again. It has been asked and answered at least 10 previous times in this thread.

Titanic 2: Back to the Surface.

that's brilliant

That looks bloody awful

Please tell me that this is a hoax?

Course it's a hoax Phantom, pretty much the whole thing is culled from existing Leonardo movies re-edited. It's probably been done by a Film Studies student who's already punting the you tube reference round his prospective employers suggesting he's a talented editor in the making.

Course it's a hoax Phantom, pretty much the whole thing is culled from existing Leonardo movies re-edited. It's probably been done by a Film Studies student who's already punting the you tube reference round his prospective employers suggesting he's a talented editor in the making.

It's called a mash up. Like

The Titanic sank on 15 April 1912 during its maiden voyage. But did you know that 14 years before the Titanic sank a novel was published by Morgan Robertson, describing a ship the same size as the Titanic which crashes into an iceberg on its maiden voyage on a misty April night? The name of Robertson's fictional ship was the Titan. Spooky, eh?

Guest Dawn Squire

Yes Millvena is still alive

Anyone out there know if there are any Titanic survivors left? Is Millvena?Dean still alive?

Lillian Asplund is still alive. She turned 98 last October.

Guest Guest

yes Milvina Dean is still alive, living in a retirement home in the New Forest in Southampton, England

Guest dreammaster4@talk21.com

hello i recently look after eliza dean in a nursing home

near southampton

email me on

dreammaster4@talk21.com

near southampton

email me on

dreammaster4@talk21.com

It looks as if someone here is desperate for a chat...

And this version of The Shining.

...or this version of 'Kill Bill'?

Can't see this lady kill as many baddies with her *ahum* ...weapons as the illustrious Uma Thurman though.

near southampton

email me on

dreammaster4@talk21.com

well dreammaster and i had a bit of chat on MSN.. old Eliza appears to be in good health, good spirits, and is still rather 'fiesty'. apparently she was asking for drinks all night, not sure if alcohol was involved. after being asked how long she will live for, dreammaster replied: "i think shes be around for a fair bit yet".

Guest PasserBy

If you are surprised that the list is all women then you don't really understand what happened when the Titanic went down.

So, no survivors who actually remember it?

Although the 5 1/2 year old might remember something.

Isn't it weird that the list of survivors in 1998 is almost entirely women, I know they live longer but still, I find it amusing.

Titanic Passenger List published for first time

The lists are free to view for just one week but it would take me at least a week to work out how to configure my computer to view them. I signed up and everything but it's not worth the hassle.

A challenge for the bored!

According to this ....

"One of the two last surviving passengers, Milvina Dean, 95, from near Southampton, who was just 10 weeks old when the ship went down, did not attend the service due to ill health."

Not wanting to start a new thread I thought this the most appropriate place to ask, after watching the TV programme last night on the Lusitania, whether there were any surviving survivors? Since it was later than the Titanic and since there were kids that survived it's quite possible that there are. If so they would almost certainly get an obit. But I suspect they're all gone. Anyone know?

Not wanting to start a new thread I thought this the most appropriate place to ask, after watching the TV programme last night on the Lusitania, whether there were any surviving survivors? Since it was later than the Titanic and since there were kids that survived it's quite possible that there are. If so they would almost certainly get an obit. But I suspect they're all gone. Anyone know?

Well back in 2005, there were apparentely only two left: Audrey Lawson-Johnston and Barbara McDermott.

According to the German Wikipedia, McDermott is still alive and will be turning 95 shortly. Similarly, it lists Lawson-Johnson is also alive at 92 years of age.

Also if you don't trust Wikipedia, genarians.com lists them both as still living, and they do far superior research.

Well back in 2005, there were apparentely only two left: Audrey Lawson-Johnston and Barbara McDermott.

According to the German Wikipedia, McDermott is still alive and will be turning 95 shortly. Similarly, it lists Lawson-Johnson is also alive at 92 years of age.

Also if you don't trust Wikipedia, genarians.com lists them both as still living, and they do far superior research.

CP this could be a real find. Lusitania survivors are just as important as Titanic survivors in their own way. Sadly they're not going to earn many points in the DDP except perhaps as unique picks if no-one else has noticed this. Let's keep it to ourselves.

Just one Titanic survivor now - but will the extra publicity make Dean flourish a la Allingham or wilt a la that German lady who died after a day of being the oldest German?

Whilst we wait for Milvena Dean to die let's just enjoy those corking stories and insane delusions about the great liner. I recommend cheering up a Friday afternoon at work with the meandering nonesense that is the 'Ship the Never Sank?' theory. Link.

Whilst we wait for Milvena Dean to die let's just enjoy those corking stories and insane delusions about the great liner. I recommend cheering up a Friday afternoon at work with the meandering nonesense that is the 'Ship the Never Sank?' theory. Link.

I can't understand how you could possible deny the evidence of a conspiracy MPFC.

:skull::party::party:

Top link CP, thanks.

I like the logic:

More Truth:

An iceberg was blamed for sinking the Titanic. Yeah right. Do they expect us to believe that ice--which is frozen water--is stronger than metal--the stuff they make swords out of? If icebergs are really that tough, then why don't people make boats out of icebergs instead?