Anubis the Jackal

Didn't Wake Up This Morning...

Seeing as this thread was still just about alive, I'll add the death of Henry Townsend

96 years when he done lost his mojo. Sho'nuff lost his mojo, Ah said lost his mojo.etc...

Blues musicians some notable survivors include Joy McShan (this page claims b 1916 but like Sonny Liston nobody is really sure), Sam 'the man' Taylor, Mose Allison and Magic Slim.

I reckon we could add Bo Diddley (b 1929), as much a bluesman as he is a rock 'n' roller and fading a bit healthwise of late. Fats Domino - traumatised but surviving Hurricane Catrina - also has one fat foot in the blues.

Um... ignoring the above incoherency, [Post deleted, not MPFC's] I see that Pinetop Perkins, born 1913, is still going, and presumably relatively cheerful.

Edited by honez

Um... ignoring the above incoherency, [Post deleted, not MPFC's] I see that Pinetop Perkins, born 1913, is still going, and presumably relatively cheerful.

Good spot Starch; stabbed by a girl, hit by a train, still giggin' at 91, the man was born to play the blues!

Do any of our readers live near enough Austin to check out one of his sessions?

Good spot Starch; stabbed by a girl, hit by a train, still giggin' at 91, the man was born to play the blues!

I will be starting August. "Music scene" capital of the world and all that, I'm sure I'll get a chance to stop by.

I will be starting August. "Music scene" capital of the world and all that, I'm sure I'll get a chance to stop by.

UT? Not Cambridge? Not the University of Kuala Lumpur? Not Moscow Community College? Not Brazil during Carnivale? UT?

You have GOT to be kidding me...... :lol:

UT? Not Cambridge? Not the University of Kuala Lumpur? Not Moscow Community College? Not Brazil during Carnivale? UT?

You have GOT to be kidding me...... :)

Somehow, UT manages to have one of the best Middle East Studies in the nation, a certainly the best in a public school. One of my friends explained it as "know your enemy." :D

Now I feel like crap though after I got myself all psyched up to go there. Thanks a lot mom! :lol:

The rejection from Moscow Community College stings so much now...

Meanwhile, to stay on topic, Honeyboy Edwards is apparently hale enough to perform this May.

Robert Johnson will be 97 this year. Never mind that he was murdered by a jealous husband 70 years ago; I think 97 is a good innings regardless.

Grammy-award winning guitarist and singer Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown has died in Texas at the age of 81.The musician was "devastated " after his home in Slidell, Louisiana was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

"I'm sure he was heartbroken, both literally and figuratively," said his booking agent Rick Cady.

"He evacuated successfully before the hurricane hit, but I'm sure it weighed heavily on his soul."

more at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4234938.stm

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown has also fallen victim to Hurricaine Ike, three years after he died. The cemetery where he was resting peacefully was flooded and his casket "floated away".

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6002915.html

Taj Mahal - as in the 67 year old blues/folk (er) - has cancelled his European tour to attend to a personal matter. Like mebbe serious illness but not his own. Devastating news, since he was lined up as Sunday headliner at Maryport Blues Festival soon.

Nice story here about the indestructable Pinetop Perkins, still smoking and preforming at 96 with a new album out next year.

These guys are the roots of the blues. It's almost surreal their still here.

Anybody who has ever picked up an instrument to play the blues owes it to Pinetop Perkins and David Honeyboy Edwards.

It just so happens that I was about to make a similar post and talk about all this Delta Blues, Devon. I guess sometimes people do think alike.

Old Pinetop was considered for this years list but didn't make the final cut

Observer Music Monthly ran a photo feature today with shots of the oldest surviving original jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll, protest singers and the like. None older than Pintetop. Their 24 musician feature should have been 25 people, but Les Paul croacked between the photo and the feature. Some of them still look good for a few more years, which is more than can be said of Observer Music Monthly which folds with this edition. Cause of death = lack of advertising interest, probably.

Boy....

Really bummed by this one. It's just announced that Dutch blues legend Harry Muskee died at the age of 70. He was the lead singer of Cuby and the Blizzards.

tears at the windows of my eyes.... :lol:

:lol:

I've watched Cuby and the Blizzards live several times. Sad. :lol:

regards,

Hein

• Like 1