Anubis the Jackal

Didn't Wake Up This Morning...

10 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Blues harpist James Cotton -

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/james-cotton-blues-harmonica-veteran-dead-at-81-112308/

Getting short of blues harmonica greats these days - maybe we should start a campaign to save the wail!

Believe he died 2 years ago...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Believe he died 2 years ago...

Fuck sake, sorry - just saw it on someone's FB feed and relayed it here in the ten minutes or so I was logged on this morning.

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

Can Louisiana have a worse year?  Jesus.... (yet my pick Phil Philips lives on)...

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Gonna guess he's on the right?

Unlikely. Doesn’t look a day over 94.

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

When he gets a QO, I Will Not Die It's The World That Will End will be on 7/20 in the DDP by mid-February and joint 4th place, which must be a personal best.

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

A pretty long time in hospice care, though outclassed by people like Margaret Keane, Robert Graetz and Rembert Weakland, who are lasting years.

1 hour ago, msc said:

When he gets a QO, I Will Not Die It's The World That Will End will be on 7/20 in the DDP by mid-February and joint 4th place, which must be a personal best.

If, rather than when. Never played on the BBC fwiw. 

I find it hard to guess QOs of those Louisiana celebrities.

Maybe Henry Butler's BBC obit was a positive outlier.

Yeah, I’d think it’d be kind of difficult for him to get a QO. Lucien Barbarin, who was associated with Harry Connick Jr, didn’t get anything outside of New Orleans, so I’m guessing it’d be harder for someone who was associated with even older legends like Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, I’d think it’d be kind of difficult for him to get a QO. Lucien Barbarin, who was associated with Harry Connick Jr, didn’t get anything outside of New Orleans, so I’m guessing it’d be harder for someone who was associated with even older legends like Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf...

This was my reluctance to include him on any of my lists. Given there have been several recently that have died that I and many I know that have shared the stage with them  would regard them to be legends. Sadly outside of sites such as "Consequence of Sound" , "Please Kill Me", and the local press sites noone seems that bothered.

15 hours ago, msc said:

Here's hoping! 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 17:15, adrian0719 said:

Here's hoping! 

I guess we can attach another team name to a user name. @Deathray

Northern California guitarist Charlie Baty, better known to jazz, blues and swing fans as “Little Charlie,” has reportedly died.

The news was reported by Blues Music Magazine, citing information provided by Baty’s former label boss at Chicago’s legendary Alligator Records.

No official statement or details about his passing were available at this time.

Baty is best known for leading Little Charlie and the Nightcats, the popular Sacramento-based swing revival act that he formed with vocalist/harmonica player Rick Estrin in 1976.

SC

Unbelievable!

Edit: I know a score update is due, but my eyes are sooo tired. My company/institution is a bit in disorder now with all the people working from home or otherwise unavailable. It's tiring me out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Unbelievable!

Edit: I know a score update is due, but my eyes are sooo tired. My company/institution is a bit in disorder now with all the people working from home or otherwise unavailable. It's tiring me out. 

Take your time gcreptile, the round up will still be there in the DDP thread and is due for bringing forward around the 29th.

Fresh eyes soon, I'm sure we are all terribly worried about everything and everyone at the moment.

Wow amazing! I never thought we'd get one, especially with this COVID coverage wall.

• Like 1