Death Watch Beatle

How very, VERY frustrating!

How very frustrating this prediction game can be. I go scouring the net for information on actors and the like who have illnesses - cancer, leukaemia, you name it, I look for it - and very little news comes to light. Then, blow me, if I don't just happen to look at the BBC web site news page and there is news of two actors dying yesterday. Admittedly I don't actually know of the gentlemen concerned, Russell Hunter, a Scottish(!) actor who has died of lung cancer at 79, and Carl Anderson, an American actor and singer who has fallen foul of Leukaemia, aged 58, but they were well know enough to be on the BBC news page, and I am sure they will both have obituaries in the broadsheets. These people have obviously been under the weather for some time, and obviously people such as those at BBC are aware of this - but nowhere can I find mention of them until it's too late (for them and us). Where am I going wrong, where should I be looking for this information? The truth is out there - but I just don't know where!

Blimey . . . I feel a lot better now I've got that off my chest.

DWB ;)

Guest ferryman

Poor old Russell Hunter, he was lonely even with Mr Callan, but its' been a wee while since he was newsworthy. The Beeb as his old employer probably has records. As a newcomer to the list, I thought the point was to predict the list before the start of the year. A very useful tool, but you could always enlarge it and add categories, like one for UK actors one for septics and so on..

Ferryman you are correct - the idea is to predict deaths for the year before it starts however there are credibility points to be won on here for spot forthcoming deaths - no doubt that's what DWB is shooting for ;)

As for the 2004 so far - well I dont feel so bad about the lack of success - really there havent been any big name deaths this year...so far. A quick review of the DeathLine shows that there have been plenty of slow starts to years - but Im sure we'll hit a spate of major deaths at some point in the year.

Keep the faith!

Quite right Reaper. Credibility points is one way of looking at it, or another would be swotting-up for next year's DL candidates. You can never do enough research - and the forum would be a bit of a desert without it. So I will keep looking for the next Russell Hunter or Carl Anderson. Now where did I put the Hollywood Hospital's telephone number. . . ?

DWB ;)

It is frustrating when people are passed over but looking at some of these names, it surely can't be long for some of them. Reagan and Princess Alice have been in poor health for years despite reaching advanced age and Alastair Cooke looks to be fragile as well. As a matter of interest, what's been the longest hiatus?

Interesting question Catherine - one for Mr Stats really but i'll step in:

Pre-1995 was a little vague so since then:

23 June 1996 - 19 Feb 1997 241 days

28 Aug 2000 - 20 Feb 2001 176 days

4 Sep 2002 - 5 Mar 2003 182 days

28 Sep 2003 - Today (9 Mar 2004) 163 days

Clearly the current spell is starting to turn into a drought.

Im off now to start that rain dance...

Ahhh . . . do I see a familiar pattern emerging? Cooler weather at the end of the summer, Christmas approaching, something to look forward to . . . better hang on then. Oh . . . Christmas has gone now, miserable weather, very damp and chilly, not feeling too well . . . goodbye!

The facts don't lie - very soon now and it will be the opening score of the season. Exciting days ahead!

DWB ;)

They'll probably hang around for their Easter eggs first.

Oh welcome back Catherine, we've missed you

I thought you'd gone off in a sulk because we didn't select Sister Lucia

I'm still here, just waiting for the first result of 2004 ;)

How very frustrating this prediction game can be. I go scouring the net for information on actors and the like who have illnesses - cancer, leukaemia, you name it, I look for it - and very little news comes to light. Then, blow me, if I don't just happen to look at the BBC web site news page and there is news of two actors dying yesterday. Admittedly I don't actually know of the gentlemen concerned, Russell Hunter, a Scottish(!) actor who has died of lung cancer at 79, and Carl Anderson, an American actor and singer who has fallen foul of Leukaemia, aged 58, but they were well know enough to be on the BBC news page, and I am sure they will both have obituaries in the broadsheets. These people have obviously been under the weather for some time, and obviously people such as those at BBC are aware of this - but nowhere can I find mention of them until it's too late (for them and us). Where am I going wrong, where should I be looking for this information? The truth is out there - but I just don't know where!

DWB :D

Don't feel bad. People are laughing at me becauuse I thought Dennis Hopper was dead and then it turned out he has terminal cancer so now I have the last laugh. When things like this happen I have a cup of hot cocoa and listen to soothing music.

DWB :D

Don't feel bad. People are laughing at me becauuse I thought Dennis Hopper was dead and then it turned out he has terminal cancer so now I have the last laugh. When things like this happen I have a cup of hot cocoa and listen to soothing music.

I think you may be premature about it's you who'll be having the last laugh. You'll find (have a look through the Dennis Hopper thread for the dates) we're all pretty much on top of the fact that he's terminally ill, and have been for quite some time.

So none of this is earth-shattering news to any of us. That's why he's in lots of Dead Pool teams, which were decided on and submitted before the start of the year.