Grim Reaper

Pope John Paul

Guest Guest

I usually quite like this site, no real problems with taking little quips at people but an entire faith, and the largest in the world is a little low and liable to offend people.

I usually quite like this site, no real problems with taking little quips at people but an entire faith, and the largest in the world is a little low and liable to offend people.

So poking fun at real people who are about to die/are dead is better than poking fun at an imaginary deity and its doctrine? I fail to see the logic in that.

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 2 2005, 05:26 AM)

So poking fun at real people who are about to die/are dead is better than poking fun at an imaginary deity and its doctrine? I fail to see the logic in that.

As it happens I pay my church tax to this very organisation and as I have not attended one of their services in some years, and therefore wish to recompense my membership fees in this manner.

:devil:

Guest Guest

Actually, in your opinion its an "imaginary diety". But I think you'll find somewhere in the region of 1 billion people disagree with you. And what are you talking about your tax pays for the Catholic church ? What country do you live in then ? clearly not the UK. Either that or you are enormously ignorant. Sectarianism is illegal dontchayknow. So, say what you will about Karel Wotyja but you could leave out the comments about "the catholics". Thanks.

Guest Guest

Well, it looks like the old guy may actually pull through this current health problem. Rumors have it that he is slowly able to speak a few words at a time and that he is still hoping to go to Germany this year for World Youth Day. What I wanna know is if he is making this "recovery," when he is going to get out of hospital?

So, say what you will about Karel Wotyja but you could leave out the comments about "the catholics". Thanks.

As soon as they lay off their remarks about "the sinners."

Guest Silvio Berlusconi

IT IS TIME!!!!! THE POPE IS DEATH!!!! WATCH CNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

the pope is death?

i thought death is the grim reaper

Guest Guest

Actually, in your opinion its an "imaginary diety". But I think you'll find somewhere in the region of 1 billion people disagree with you. And what are you talking about your tax pays for the Catholic church ? What country do you live in then ? clearly not the UK. Either that or you are enormously ignorant. Sectarianism is illegal dontchayknow. So, say what you will about Karel Wotyja but you could leave out the comments about "the catholics". Thanks.

in the opinion of 5 billion people its imaginary

the votes are in 5 to 1 majority wins and your wrong

Guest Guest

Its not even an argument about whether he is really "The holy father" or not. Its an argument about singling him out for his faith. This site of course originates in the UK and you will probably find around 75% of people would strictly 'protest' against the pope. Which is perhaps why he is receiving such vitriol. And by the way, about the condoms in Africa thing. Tell me this, since people think the pope is personally exterminating so many people because they listen to him about the condoms then you are an ignorant stupid liar. If they listened to him and obeyed him about not using condoms they would also be listening to him about no sex outside of marriage and mohogonous relationships which equal no aids. There is simply NO argument against that. And as for paedophile priests ? You will find there are also paedophile reverands, rabbi's, minister, episcolpalians and jehova's witnesses. Evil knows no bounds as it were. Still nice to hear that is the bst retort you can come up with.

Its not even an argument about whether he is really "The holy father" or not. Its an argument about singling him out for his faith.

No it's not. This thread is about whether the old man with the fishhead hat is going to pop his cork any time soon.

Catholicism isn't being singled out for vilification here (not by me anyway).

I think all organised superstitions, and the people indoctrinated into following them, deserve equal contempt.

You on the other hand, being of the Christian cult, will no doubt treat everyone, believers, non-believers, evil-doers, and (oh gosh) even me, with the respect and love that your deity expects--no, demands--of you. Unless of course you're one of those sick bastards that pretty much does whatever they want, as sick as they like, and as long as they repent before they die then that's alright then.

As far as I'm concerned, the appointed head of your church is no worse and certainly no better than the head honchos of any other superstitious cults that pay homage to whatever insubstantiated deity they fancy.

I am here to discuss his chances of meeting his so-called maker sooner rather than later. And I think there's a very high probability he's going to be long gone before the year's out.

If they listened to him and obeyed him about not using condoms they would also be listening to him about no sex outside of marriage and mohogonous relationships which equal no aids.

I know Christians are tree worshippers but a relationship with mahogany? That's just sick...

• Like 1

maybe it was a reference to a life-long love affair with the film Mahogany, starring Diana Ross and Billie Dee Williams, and featuring the timeless classic "Do You Know Where You're Going To?"

To answer 4H's enquiry, it's simply a life spent in front of the television (supplemented now by the interweb) has rendered me satiated with an abundance of useless and/or obscure popular culture references. I have dim recollections of seeing a bit of Mahogany on US TV sometime in the early 80's.

Back to the topic which is the title of this thread, the pontiff's health is apparently improving, although he's still in hospital. Clearly divine intervention at play.

If they listened to him and obeyed him about not using condoms they would also be listening to him about no sex outside of marriage and mohogonous relationships which equal no aids.

I know Christians are tree worshippers but a relationship with mahogany? That's just sick...

My guess is that it's just a reference to the luxury crucifix that special Catholics worship.

regards,

Hein

My guess is that it's just a reference to the luxury crucifix that special Catholics worship.

Is that the one that they tie (nail) altar boys to at Easter for that extra bit of fun?

;)

Guest dave

hey, did anyone happen to read the article printed in the new york press about the 51 greatest things about the upcoming death of the pope? i nearly pissed my pants. www.nypress.com

And by the way, about the condoms in Africa thing. Tell me this, since people think the pope is personally exterminating so many people because they listen to him about the condoms then you are an ignorant stupid liar. If they listened to him and obeyed him about not using condoms they would also be listening to him about no sex outside of marriage and mohogonous relationships which equal no aids. There is simply NO argument against that. And as for paedophile priests ? You will find there are also paedophile reverands, rabbi's, minister, episcolpalians and jehova's witnesses. Evil knows no bounds as it were. Still nice to hear that is the bst retort you can come up with.

Of course there are paedophiles in all walks of life, but the Catholic church is the only employer that not only turns a blind eye to child sex abuse, but actually has a fund (known as the Stewardship Trust) dedicated to paying off the victims in the hope that they'll keep quiet about it.

As for the spread of AIDS in Africa (and indeed elsewhere), it's absurd to try and stop it by telling people to only have sex within monogamous relationships; you're asking millions of people to completely change their lifestyles, and it just ain't gonna happen. Persuading them to use condoms is a sensible and effective compromise which can and does save lives. But no, the Catholic church won't allow it: they'd rather condemn millions of people to a slow, agonising death than drop their absurdly outdated and inflexible views about wearing a little rubber bag on one's knob. How very caring and Christian of them.

And these, my somewhat young and naive friend, are among the reasons why I - a born, bred and confirmed Catholic - turned my back on the RC church in disgust years ago. That and those bloody annoying Communion wafers that stick to the roof of your mouth. ;)

Guest One Man Jury
wearing a little rubber bag on one's knob.

Speak for yourself pal!

Well, it looks like the old guy may actually pull through this current health problem. Rumors have it that he is slowly able to speak a few words at a time and that he is still hoping to go to Germany this year for World Youth Day. What I wanna know is if he is making this "recovery," when he is going to get out of hospital?

I bet Catholic Priests love World Youth day.