Grim Reaper

Pope John Paul

Guest Simon I

It isn't looking good for the Holy Father. He has been an excellent Pope, and as an article in the Sunday Times pointed out today, as his life draws to a close there appears to be a general shift in public opinion towards conservatism which is what his great papacy has been based on; and maybe he is not as out of touch with the world as he was once seen to be, with the rise of the religious right (and Mr Bush) in the USA, and with Mr Howards firm and excellent views with regards to gypsies, abortion and Europe.

I'm sorry guys, but as a Roman Catholic I feel it is my duty to pray that His Holiness gets well again, however I admit that it isn't looking good!

May God protect and save him. Amen.

Simon

I'm sorry guys, but as a Roman Catholic I feel it is my duty to pray that His Holiness gets well again, however I admit that it isn't looking good!

If JP2 recovers his health it can only lead to a prolonged struggle on his part, as he seems determined to go on until his very last breath. Would it not be kinder to pray that he has some peace, whatever form that might take? Perhaps he will be persuaded to retire?

I think we all acknowledge his sincerity (whether or not we agree with his views) but can see that it's time for him to go.

I saw some footage of His Holiness at work.

At such occasions he (and his predecessor) used to bless the spectotors in tens of unintelligeble languages. This year he did it in only one: Grunt, a language everybody speaks, but nobody understands. I was quite touched by this novel approach.

regards,

Hein

At such occasions he (and his predecessor) used to bless the spectotors in tens of unintelligeble languages. This year he did it in only one: Grunt, a language everybody speaks, but nobody understands. I was quite touched by this novel approach.

regards,

Hein

LOL!!!

Death-forecast: tonight, 8.00 PM local (vatican-) time!

(Not to be confused with vatican era, which is 1200 AD or so at the moment).

Well, that 8PM forecast was wrong. Catholocism is up to something at the moment though. Major earthquakes in Indonesia the day after both Christmas and Easter. It's got to be a message from the big man, no idea what though.

Guest John

regards,

Hein

Hein, you really are a sicko aren't you ? It doesn't matter that he is the Pope and ok you might think its cool to play all this anti-christ sh1te cos Marilyn Manson told you so but hes a sick old guy, trying to make the best of the end of his great (and also significant, unlike yours) life. So maybe next time you think its funny that a sick old guy can't speak properly just remember the clock is ticking til thats you, the only difference though is alot of people card about PJP and no-one gives a toss about you're non-entity life.

Hein, you really are a sicko aren't you ? It doesn't matter that he is the Pope and ok you might think its cool to play all this anti-christ sh1te cos Marilyn Manson told you so but hes a sick old guy, trying to make the best of the end of his great (and also significant, unlike yours) life. So maybe next time you think its funny that a sick old guy can't speak properly just remember the clock is ticking til thats you, the only difference though is alot of people card about PJP and no-one gives a toss about you're non-entity life.

What is it that makes this Pope so great? What do you know about Hein that makes you so dismissive? I'd be a lot more bothered if Hein died than if your mate 'PJP' died. I'd imagine that Hein is well aware that "the clock is ticking", I am. It is because we accept this fact that we are able to make jokes about one of society's last taboos. As the head of a ridiculous institution like the Catholic church the Pope is an easy target for ridicule, he's done nothing to deserve our respect and I'm afraid that if an old man won't retire then he's asking for derision.

What is it that makes this Pope so great? What do you know about Hein that makes you so dismissive? I'd be a lot more bothered if Hein died than if your mate 'PJP' died. I'd imagine that Hein is well aware that "the clock is ticking", I am. It is because we accept this fact that we are able to make jokes about one of society's last taboos. As the head of a ridiculous institution like the Catholic church the Pope is an easy target for ridicule, he's done nothing to deserve our respect and I'm afraid that if an old man won't retire then he's asking for derision.

Good one Dishwasher buddy. :unsure:

Perhaps he will be persuaded to retire?

I think we all acknowledge his sincerity (whether or not we agree with his views) but can see that it's time for him to go.

Obviously, given the pontiff's refusal to stand down, the Vatican must have a crap pension plan.

Fancy making him toil until he pop's his clogs (are they the "shoes of a fisherman"?).

Guest One Man Jury
Grunt, a language everybody speaks, but nobody understands. I was quite touched by this novel approach.

regards,

Hein

Obviously, you've never met a Millwall Football Fan.

Guest John

What makes him so great ? Well obviously to you who calls the church a "ridiculous institution" you are set in your ways and you won't change your mind, but I think you will find even from a non-Rc perspective he was one of the greatest intellects in theology of the last century. He also bridged centuries-old divisions between the Rc church and the orthodox and jewish faiths. Also, he leads a group of 1.1billion people, not exactly insignificant is it. I don't know anything about hein except he takes pleasure in seeing frail old people struggle to speak so what I do know of him, is that he doesn't seem a very nice person. When Hein kicks the bucket very few people will even know, one of the main signs will be one less sicko in the world but when PJP eventually dies you can be sure everyone will know about it.

...but when PJP eventually dies you can be sure everyone will know about it.

Too true, mate. Especially with zealots like you around to go on and on and on about it.......

Are you really "John"? You sound suspiciously like Eileen (see her contributions to the Sister Lucia postings).

:)

What makes him so great ? Well obviously to you who calls the church a "ridiculous institution" you are set in your ways and you won't change your mind, but I think you will find even from a non-Rc perspective he was one of the greatest intellects in theology of the last century.

I'm not a Roman Catholic, nor a theologian, so I can't say much about John Paul II's skills in that subject, other than this question: what makes his theological insights better than mine, yours or my pizza delivery boy's?

I don't know anything about hein except he takes pleasure in seeing frail old people struggle to speak so what I do know of him, is that he doesn't seem a very nice person.

Make that: "I don't know anything about Hein."

What on Earth makes you think I take pleasure in seeing a frail old man struggle to speak? I cracked a joke about the most recent public performance of the CEO of the world's largest entertainment business, not about Karol Woytila. I'm certain he's suffering, and I pity him. However, we should remember that this particular old man chooses to be Pope and do whatever he does in that quality. The Pope is a fair target for satire, just as any other authority, and so are his actions.

You don't like my joke. That's your priviledge. I won't deny it's in rather bad taste, but your ideas about my moral quality seem to rely on bad reading and jumping to conclusions.

When Hein kicks the bucket very few people will even know, one of the main signs will be one less sicko in the world but when PJP eventually dies you can be sure everyone will know about it.

I don't particularly care how many people will mourn my eventual death, I won't be there to witness it. Yet it's good to know that while there will never be another Hein, there will be another Pope soon after this one sheds his mortal coil.

There will also be more people to crack jokes about him.

regards,

Hein

Guest One Man Jury
_40967767_203b_pope_afp.jpg

AHHHHHHHhhhhhh......

Bless You, Your Holiness!

Probably a sneeze. Could have been a trouser-burp that went horribly wrong, of course!

_40967767_203b_pope_afp.jpg

AHHHHHHHhhhhhh......

Bless You, Your Holiness!

Probably a sneeze. Could have been a trouser-burp that went horribly wrong, of course!

I reckon the turtle's head had just poked out when the photo was taken. :)

Dear me! The Deathlist is being a trifle ordinaire today isn't it?

PS: Bravo Hein for showing that ranter the length of your tongue! As ever, a pithy, concise, considered and relevant reply to some very unjust criticism.

Guest One Man Jury
Dear me! The Deathlist is being a trifle ordinaire today isn't it?

PS: Bravo Hein for showing that ranter the length of your tongue! As ever, a pithy, concise, considered and relevant reply to some very unjust criticism.

BURRRRAGH!

When are you and Hein getting hitched then?

They've given him a feeding tube

Perhaps if they add some electronics they can create robopope, one who can last for an eternity........

..... or until his batteries run out.......

:pop:

Guest One Man Jury
..... or until his batteries run out.......

He could always borrow some from his nuns. Hmmm!

As a catholic, I pray the good Lord takes this man quickly, and that He annoints a successor able to carry on what PJP did well (reproachment with the Eastern Church, etc) and reject where he erred (married priests, disease control (condoms), sex education, women in clergy) I fear that won't happen, and a schism awaits, with the front half of the church thowing incense burners at the happy-clappies in the cheap seats. Could be fun to watch.

Guest Guest
As a catholic, I pray the good Lord takes this man quickly, and that He annoints a successor able to carry on what PJP did well (reproachment with the Eastern Church, etc) and reject where he erred (married priests, disease control (condoms), sex education, women in clergy) I fear that won't happen, and a schism awaits, with the front half of the church thowing incense burners at the happy-clappies in the cheap seats. Could be fun to watch.

Wheres the error with married priests, condoms and women in clergy ? it is the Roman Catholic church you can't just play around with it, if you don't like you don't follow, simple.

And Hein.... he didn't choose to be Pope, God (or at least the Holy See) choose him, and resigning is unquestionable as no-one has done that in 600 years. And If I were in my final days I would rather be doing something meaningful than running down the clock watching Tv or something.

Guest One Man Jury
I would rather be doing something meaningful than running down the clock watching Tv or something.

Or watching Spurs play football which is even worse.

Unregistered, the catholic church has always been about change. Thoughtful and sometimes excrutiatingly slow, it has addressed many challenges over the centuries. The reformation wasn't just for protestants. What about the Council of Trent? Vatican I and II? That is how it has stayed in ``business''. Don't you remember latin masses? One word: Aggiornamento.