Grim Reaper

Pope John Paul

Guest One Man Jury
As a catholic, I pray the good Lord takes this man quickly, and that He annoints a successor able to carry on what PJP did well (reproachment with the Eastern Church, etc) and reject where he erred (married priests, disease control (condoms), sex education, women in clergy) I fear that won't happen, and a schism awaits, with the front half of the church thowing incense burners at the happy-clappies in the cheap seats. Could be fun to watch.

I can think of more enjoyable pastimes.

Cutting off ones' testicles with a blunt rusty tin can top sounds like more fun than this, although I don't intend to put it to the test!

Guest One Man Jury
Unregistered, the catholic church has always been about change. Thoughtful and sometimes excrutiatingly slow, it has addressed many challenges over the centuries. The reformation wasn't just for protestants. What about the Council of Trent? Vatican I and II? That is how it has stayed in ``business''. Don't you remember latin masses? One word: Aggiornamento.

Another word - shutuppio!

Guest Guest
Unregistered, the catholic church has always been about change. Thoughtful and sometimes excrutiatingly slow, it has addressed many challenges over the centuries. The reformation wasn't just for protestants. What about the Council of Trent? Vatican I and II? That is how it has stayed in ``business''. Don't you remember latin masses? One word: Aggiornamento.

Yeah, I'm aware of that and the various encyclicals etc but.... woman in the clergy is one thing that I think will never ever happen, I'm not saying its right but its the way it is, its not preaching male superiority or anything but a priest isn't called 'father' for nothing. Condoms is one controversial issue where I wholeheartedly agree with the Vatican, it is used as a tool to attack the RC church but what I still don't have an answer for is if millions of people are dying of AIDS because they listen to the Rc church about condoms why don't they listen about monogamy and sex within marriage, I smell bullsh1t ! There are married (converted) priests so maybe this could be changed although the reason the clergy have to be celebate in the first place is that the Rc church and one's position in it is determined by their faith and theological abilities but if Priests/Cardinals/Bishops/Popes started having offspring they could be given an unfair promotion in the Rc church, which would make the Rc Church just another corrupt hereditary joke like the monarchy of GB. Sorry for the ling-winded reply.

Unregistered, the catholic church has always been about change.

So much so they even change the wording of the bible when they need to.

And Hein.... he didn't choose to be Pope, God (or at least the Holy See) choose him,

That is a matter of opinion, rather than fact.

and resigning is unquestionable as no-one has done that in 600 years.

Which doesn't change the fact that he can resign.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Honez, well the Pope is infallible, (well thats what we believe what you believe is up to you) so he, as the supreme pontiff can alter the bible which was written by man, not God, thanks. And Hein... technically The Queen can resign her position as head of the Church of England but I don't think she ever would its one of those "for life" things. And the fact "god choose him" may be debateable but whats not debateable is he was chosen to become pope he didn't choose. Thanks for being polite anyway, As I said I'm not a religious hard-liner or anything I just find it quite upsetting seeing an 84 year old guy trying in vain to do what he has in the past for his faith.

Honez, well the Pope is infallible, (well thats what we believe what you believe is up to you)

I take it the "we" is you and the voices in your head?

And Hein... technically The Queen can resign her position as head of the Church of England but I don't think she ever would its one of those "for life" things.

Her uncle did.

And the fact "god choose him" may be debateable but whats not debateable is he was chosen to become pope he didn't choose.

Although I don't know the exact rules of Pope elections by the cardinals, I don't expect them to chose an unwilling candidate.

I just find it quite upsetting seeing an 84 year old guy trying in vain to do what he has in the past for his faith.

It is.

regards,

Hein

Infection of the urinary tract, now.

No, I'm not going to make a joke about that. :)

Here's the story.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

Honez, well the Pope is infallible, (well thats what we believe what you believe is up to you) so he, as the supreme pontiff can alter the bible which was written by man, not God

No wonder he's infallible if he can change the reference book to fit his answers LOL.

Sounds incredibly sus to me.

Guest RIP
:) There are rumors that he died.... :)

It's about time his sidekicks let him lie down and rest in peace!!

Pope given last rites

Pope given last rites

Are you watching the same news proggies I am ?!

Its official - BBC, ITV & Reuters report Pope has been given last rites.

Tick tock.

Now what are the odds on the time of death, to the nearest hour ?

Bags 4 am.

Guest Death List Observer

Such a sad, sad day. Terri Schiavo has died, the Pope is clearly near death, and, in a further indication that the longtime monarch is dying, Rainier III has given the regency of Monaco to his son, Prince Albert.

Guest Guest

It's on CNN here in the States as well.

Are you watching the same news proggies I am ?!

Could well be. :)

Now what are the odds on the time of death, to the nearest hour ?

Bags 4 am.

Mebby they can send up some nicely coloured smoke at that time?:)

regards,

Hein

Guest ShadowMagus
Such a sad, sad day. Terri Schiavo has died, the Pope is clearly near death, and, in a further indication that the longtime monarch is dying, Rainier III has given the regency of Monaco to his son, Prince Albert.

You forgot Mitch Hedberg.

I think the old guy has still got some wind left in his sails, but I doubt he's got years left, more like months. We have to be realistic here...he still has the tracheotomy tube in, which means it's not coming out anytime soon. The mortality rate for people with tracheotomy tubes is rather high. Most die of some related complication, such as infection, within 6 months to a year after it was put in.

He's a stubborn old guy. I think he'll make it till Easter Sunday, after that it'll all be over.

Prescient ...

The good news is that if you google "Pope John Paul", Deathlist doesn't come up on the first page.

Or on the next page, nor indeed on any of the next 36 pages, after which I stopped looking.

So even if His Holiness has as many supporters in Scouseland as Emlyn did, we may possibly be spared the same degree of flaming rants as back then.

Incidentally, a google for Emlyn brings up Deathlist on 4th place, nearly 5 months after his untimely demise.

Guest Daisy Pusher

There is a report on cnn that the pope has been given last rites.

Interesting that he's not being taken to hospital this time. The reason being given is that the trip would be too arduous for him, but it sounds as if they feel nothing more can be done for him. I expect him to be gone by the morning.

Small groups of faithful have gathered at St Peter's Square in Rome to pray for the Pope's speedy recovery.

Well, you never know, I suppose. :)