maddin

George Kennedy

what about him??

Well?

George Kennedy is a very private man, quite the gentleman as a matter of fact, and I very much doubt we will ever have a clue as to his imminent demise. I have had the very great pleasure of his company on several occasions and never failed to be impressed by his gentility, as it so belied his screen persona.

Is he that actor who always played idiot US army officers - in the Dirty Dozen maybe?

I thought he was very good in the Airport series as Joe Petroni.

George Kennedy

I thought he was the boss from the Naked Gun films - what happened to the boss in the TV series of the Naked Gun? Can't remember his name off-hand.......

I thought he was the boss from the Naked Gun films - what happened to the boss in the TV series of the Naked Gun? Can't remember his name off-hand.......

George Kennedy did play "Ed", Frank Dreben's boss . He also won an best supporting actor oscar for Cool Hand Luke, was a poor stand-in for Yul Brynner in one of those Magnificent 7 remakes (was it Guns of the Mag..... etc?).

He also played the baddie who turned John Wayne's kids over to the dark side in Cahill US Marshall as well as a leading role in the original Airport disaster movie.

Apart from that.........never heard of him! :lol:

I mainly recall Kennedy as Bumper Morgan in the short lifed television series The Blue Knight. The series was based on the novel of the same name by the great author Joseph Wambaugh, who also gave us The Onion Field and The Choir Boys as well as other police style novels. The series followed along the same track as the movie of the same name which had starred William Holden as Bumper Morgan aging cop.

As to the imminent demise of George Kennedy since he just turned 80 in February it is clear the man is on borrowed time. That said, keep in mind he is still working so even though his time is running out his energy and zest for life is not.

Oh and the bosses name in the Naked Gun series was Hocken. Captain Ed Hocken if I recollect it rightly. Now back to your regularly scheduled oatmeal.

And for the record the late Alan North portrayed Capt. Hocken in the television series Police Squad upon which all of The Naked Gun films were based.

As the menacing "Herman Scobie" in Charade George Kennedy is seen, having been drowned in the bathtub. Apparently that's the real George Kennedy in there, holding his breath...

he play next to Clint Eastwood in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" and "The Eiger Sanction"

and...

he played Carter McKay (1989-1991) in Dallas

his last appearance I noticed was the "2003 Veterans Day Concert"

Los Angeles, California

He also played a bit part in Sgt Bilko, he was an MP...

As the menacing "Herman Scobie" in Charade George Kennedy is seen, having been drowned in the bathtub.  Apparently that's the real George Kennedy in there, holding his breath...

Thank you Captain. And here to add to the fun and pleasure of all our pals is a link to a photo for the drowning:

http://www.geocities.com/cinemorgue2/georgekennedy.html

Remember it's the right thing to do and a tasty way to do it, there's no reason not to.

Interesting site Mr Brimley, through it I realised that Ernest Borginine who my late Grandmother always used to enjoy watching die in films is 88.

Any news on his well-being or otherwise?

Yes cinemorgue is a terrific site. Anyway back to Ernie he is still quite active and explained it thusly last year "old age is just an expression". As near as I can tell his health is fairly good, no reports of problems other than the lingering deafness he sustained while married to Ethel Merman. I always loved his work and have seen 'Marty' dozens of times--I have it on tape and hope to get a DVD of it soon. Also always stayed glued to the set when he was McHale in McHale's Navy. Always curious as to what scrape Ensign Parker (Tim Conway) would get into and how McHale (Borgnine) would save him before Captain Binghamton (Joe Flynn) and Lt.Elroy Carpenter (Bob Hastings) could nab them. It was a fun, if not always historically accurate series.

Borgnine visited the academy awards this year. He still is making movies - hopefully he will be 100.... a great man

Guest IYG

Another 88 year old who will turn 89 later this year is Kirk Douglas, and after what 2 strokes now, I think he's a good candidate.

Another 88 year old who will turn 89 later this year

Now there's a novelty! :devil:

Another 88 year old who will turn 89 later this year is Kirk Douglas, and after what 2 strokes now, I think he's a good candidate.

Douglas was No. 42 on last year's Deathlist. This year he didn't make it onto the list at all. But if he continues to age at the alarming rate of one year per year, the committee will have to give serious consideration to re-enlisting him next time round.

Guest IYG

Yes people usually age one year at a time, unless it's that movie Jack where Robin Williams ages 4 years every year.

No stop mocking me or I'll kill you. :devil:;)

Ok then :P

Yes people usually age one year at a time, unless it's that movie Jack where Robin Williams ages 4 years every year.

Or Frederick in Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance" who aged one year every 4 years.

Guest IYG
No stop mocking me or I'll kill you. ;)  :devil:

Ok then :P

I really should go over my message before I click add reply. :P