Mortician

Basil Brush's Misters

On 19/03/2008 at 10:59, maryportfuncity said:

Sooty fell foul of Broadcasting Standards in the 90's in an episode when John Bird turned up in Sooty's hotel selling voices. This involved Bird sniffing white powders in jars and doing his range of voices to demonstrate how each was different at which point Sooty sniffed one and actually spoke, in broad cockney. The obvious problem, of encouraging kids to sniff powders, appeared to have passed the producers by.

Sooty has his 70th birthday.

Heard an interview with Cadell at half three this morning where he names the producer who named him, normally it just is 'a BBC producer".

He's still above ground :)

* as I was still technically asleep I've forget it, but will try and listen again when in internet range....

We should note here - Basil himself isn't doing too well in terms of high profile appearances on his own terms. It's more cameos or using him as light relief so far as I can see from the Wiki page. If the best they can do is use him to boost the presentation team from the flagging Generation Game he might be reduced to scavenging road kill and morsels from dustbins with the rest of his kind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somebody has posted that Mr Derek Fowlds has died on the Twitterblog:

Let's see if we can get some corroboration before we all of a certain age start crying....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Only other thing I can find is this, which has him as very, very ill last night, sadly:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/64504753104/permalink/10156949025708105/

Dear QT family, I received a call half an hour ago that my father in law Derek Fowlds is in hospital with sepsis. He is in the Royal United Hospital Bath UK. His heart is very weak and the doctors are not sure he will make it through the night. I started sending energy immediately. Just thought I'd ask if anyone could please join in with me.
I'm going to carry on, without rummaging for a photo. I think his name is enough...he is an actor and can be found by googling if you need a photo. He's brought humour and joy to many!
Thank you ♥️ xx

(As the forum is not auto-uploading Facebook anymore...)

• Thanks 1

Sad news. But I thought he was older and already in his late 80’s.

The  Heartbeat  older cast mostly gone within a few years .

RIP Derek, remember him best for the role of Oscar Blaketon played the role of retired old Police chief to perfection and enjoyed his feud with Greengrass, seemed like a nice bloke too when interviewed. Sad news 

• Like 1

Indeed, a sad loss. All thread leads in one of the greatest shows ever made (YM/YPM) all gone now. RIP.

• Like 1

Many years ago, I pointed out to TMIB, in his role as DDP-meister, that Derek Fowlds' DDP bio made no mention of Basil Brush. He suggested I take a closer look, whereupon I discovered, to my delight and amusement, he'd been listed as "Mr. Derek Fowlds". Alas, this year, perhaps as some portent to his demise, the 'Mr.' is missing! Hopefully this is just temporary as a result of setting up this year's DDP, and it will reappear with the next update.

See the source image

• Like 1

Seemingly one of the most decent people out there in the profession.

There aren't too many actors who are closely associated with more than one key role* but Basil Brush, Yes Minister and Heartbeat isn't a bad resume at all.

*out in the lead would probably be David Jason, with Granville, Del Boy, Pop Larking and Inspector Frost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Sad news. But I thought he was older and already in his late 80’s.

The  Heartbeat  older cast mostly gone within a few years .

Yeah, they're dropping like flies - Bernie, Ventress and now Oscar gone in the last 18 months. Gwen Taylor who played Peggy is 80 now and had cancer a few years ago (beat it though) so she might be one for the future.

No less than Basil Brush himself has just tweeted about it!

He's very long lived for a fox isn't he !    

• Sad 2

You cannot seriously be lumping Bernard from Yes Minister and a long term Heartbeat actor in the fucking Basil Brush thread.

Have some fucking decorum you cuntsticks. 

24 minutes ago, DeathersPhoenix said:

You cannot seriously be lumping Bernard from Yes Minister and a long term Heartbeat actor in the fucking Basil Brush thread.

Well.

Could stick him in with the character actors, the comedy performers and/or the soap stars and he is lost. Whereas this is where his niche is, specified in the OP, and he talks fondly of how he fell in love with Basil and was lost. And he was my Mr.

Rather like the outcry when I cross-posted (not posted) Alan Rickman's death in the Harry Potter thread. Rickman loved the series and what it did for him, but folk who preferred him in other things wouldn't wear it.

Remember, when you capture a generation of kids, you are loved for it forever. Fowlds and Rickman got it.

• Like 3

I'm with YW on this. 

Some of us old farts have got longer memories that go back further than Yes Minister/Prime Minister & Heartbeat. To us he'll always be Mr. Derek.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Remember, when you capture a generation of kids, you are loved for it forever. Fowlds and Rickman got it.

Mind you, there's also Bernard Cribbins view: why capture one generation, when you can capture every single one since the 50s? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, msc said:

Mind you, there's also Bernard Cribbins view: why capture one generation, when you can capture every single one since the 50s? :D

Quite Literally and Further Back

• The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 - Make Mine A Million
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 Right Said Fred / Jackanory
  • Generation X: Born 1965-1980  Jackanory The Wombles
  • Millennials: Born 1981-1996  Dennis and Gnasher / Doctor Who 
  • Post-Millennials: Born 1997- Doctor Who / Dennis and Gnasher / Old Jacks Boat

22 minutes ago, time said:

I'm with YW on this. 

Some of us old farts have got longer memories that go back further than Yes Minister/Prime Minister & Heartbeat. To us he'll always be Mr. Derek.

Meanwhile the rest of us who aren't gearing up to draw our pensions he's Sgt Oscar Blaketon.

A show which began 28 years ago (before I was born I might add) and went off the air 10 years ago btw, so this is hardly about me being a whippersnapper with a superiority complex....

1 hour ago, DeathersPhoenix said:

I must admit I am a bit surprised he didn't have a thread of his own or a Heartbeat thread or something. For a moment I even thought he might be on this years list ! 

• Like 1

Mr Derek's funeral yesterday. Basil was there.

• Like 2

Basil in the pulpit giving a eulogy, that is gold !

pmsl at

"Big names of the 70s, even some who weren't arrested"

• Like 2