Sign in to follow this  
little sister

Barbara Bel Geddes

Just been watching some old Dallas episodes on DVD. 

God Miss Ellie was  brilliant and Barbara Bel Geddes was perfectly cast in the role. Much better character than I remember from when I watched Dallas as a youngster. Pam Ewing back then was my favourite character but now it's a close call between Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen. 

• Like 1

I bloody love Dallas, a few years back they reran it on some obscure channel and I ‘taped’ and watched it all, loved it, even the terrible Bobby dream sequence.  I even quite enjoyed Knots Landing too, never liked Dynasty though. BBG was much better than that other Miss Ellie.  I also enjoyed the remake a couple of years ago, with evil John Ross, shame they didn’t keep that going a bit longer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just been watching some old Dallas episodes on DVD. 

God Miss Ellie was  brilliant and Barbara Bel Geddes was perfectly cast in the role. Much better character than I remember from when I watched Dallas as a youngster. Pam Ewing back then was my favourite character but now it's a close call between Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen. 

Pam Ewing had the boys eyes glued to the screen and hands on their cocks.

She had big ole norks! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Pam Ewing had the boys eyes glued to the screen and hands on their cocks.

She had big ole norks! :lol:

She was beautiful I agree but as a gay man it wasn't her sex appeal that made her my favourite but rather I simplistically  saw her as a wronged woman dealt a tragic card  in life  the angelic character fighting for morality in a powerful dynasty!

I now see that more obviously flawed , nuanced and dynamic characters like Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie are more entertaining. I still like Pam but she is no longer an untouchable favourite!

I take it you were one of those boys with their hands on their cocks?!:D

2 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I bloody love Dallas, a few years back they reran it on some obscure channel and I ‘taped’ and watched it all, loved it, even the terrible Bobby dream sequence.  I even quite enjoyed Knots Landing too, never liked Dynasty though. BBG was much better than that other Miss Ellie.  I also enjoyed the remake a couple of years ago, with evil John Ross, shame they didn’t keep that going a bit longer!

Falcon Crest? I felt that was underated. Jane Wyman  was brilliant as the devious clan matriarch Angela Channing. 

I think the dream season of Dallas was very enjoyable despite the emotional investment in the stories being ultimately wasted!

Sue Ellen and Pam had some of their best material in that season. 

Donna Krebbs too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Falcon Crest? I felt that was underated. Jane Wyman  was brilliant as the devious clan matriarch Angela Channing. 

I think the dream season of Dallas was very enjoyable despite the emotional investment in the stories being ultimately wasted!

Sue Ellen and Pam had some of their best material in that season. 

Donna Krebbs too.

They don’t make ‘em like they used to! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

She was beautiful I agree but as a gay man it wasn't her sex appeal that made her my favourite but rather I simplistically  saw her as a wronged woman dealt a tragic card  in life  the angelic character fighting for morality in a powerful dynasty!

I now see that more obviously flawed , nuanced and dynamic characters like Sue Ellen and Miss Ellie are more entertaining. I still like Pam but she is no longer an untouchable favourite!

I take it you were one of those boys with their hands on their cocks?!:D

Me? Never!:D

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Haha! Dallas was like late 70s early 80s wasn’t it - I can imagine 30 year old LFN rubbing out the easy one over Victoria’s Principals :D

40 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There is no shame in admitting being a wanker!

Sean Connery, Burt Reynolds and Bruce Willis caused me to  start on the same lifetime path of doing that sort of thing as a young man!

9 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Haha! Dallas was like late 70s early 80s wasn’t it - I can imagine 30 year old LFN rubbing out the easy one over Victoria’s Principals :D

1978-1991 although Pam left when her car smashed into an oil tanker resulting in a fireball in 1987! 

Although he may have then redirects his rubbing towards Linda Gray and Sheree J Wilson at that point...

52 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

They don’t make ‘em like they used to! 

Definitely of their era. Utterly unique cultural phenomenon. 

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

There is no shame in admitting being a wanker!

Sean Connery, Burt Reynolds and Bruce Willis caused me to  start on the same lifetime path of doing that sort of thing as a young man!

Sean Connery was still attractive when you were a kid? Fucking hell you must be old... 

I liked the little blonde lass in Dallas, the one that always seemed to get kidnapped and tied up.

7 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

I liked the little blonde lass in Dallas, the one that always seemed to get kidnapped and tied up.

Lucy Ewing AKA Charlene Tilton who was nicknamed by some as the poison dwarf?

Was too young when Dallas was on originally as was born in 1985 so pretty much half way through it’s run but really got into it when Mother was rewatching it a few years ago on some channel.

I thought before it was crap but have watched it all and the movies over last few years Victoria Principal as Pam was sex on legs as was Priscilla Presley as Jenna Wade, Linda Gray wasn’t bad either. 

Barbara Bel Geddes was brilliant as Miss Ellie a great actress, Donna Reed wasn’t a patch on her, didn’t know she had Breast Cancer in real life as well soon the scene were she says she was ‘deformed’ was sensational. 

The show never really recovered from the Dream series which is a shame as Ray and Donna with the Down Syndrome story was excellent as was the culmination of Sue Ellen’s Alcoholism but then Bobby came back and it never happened as did Pam marrying Mark etc. 

If Bobby had to come back I would of done it that the bloke who was a serial killer and who was paid to kill Ronaldo Marchetta and frame Jenna for it on Catherine’s instructions would escape Prison and would be out for revenge against Bobby who helped send him to prison. The FBI would be scared for Bobby’s safety and would of used Catherine running over Bobby as the perfect excuse to put Bobby in witness protection to make the serial killer believe that Bobby was dead, the Ewing’s of course wouldn’t of known for there safety, Bobby could of returned when the Police found the killer or he was killed in a shootout with the police. Very far fetched I know but in that way Bobby could return there would be no dream sequences and all the stories could of carried on as before.

I know I have spent way too much time thinking this through, one of the curses of lockdown as well as wondering how Man United could reach next season’s Champions League once it was obvious season would be completed bloody bad result tonight against Southampton but they deserved it and shows we are not as far on as we thought and still need improvement in defence and Midfield and probably only done as well because of easy set of fixtures. 

My favourite character though had to be JR, Larry Hagman was born to play JR he was arguably soaps greatest ever character. Watching the series though you can see just how bad his drinking effected him he ages so much over the years, I know everyone ages but Larry really aged significantly more than the rest of the cast  still hardly surprising considering he was drinking between 4 to 5 bottles of champagne a day whilst filming a Dallas. Along with the liver transplant, his drug intake it really was a miracle he lived so long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Sean Connery was still attractive when you were a kid? Fucking hell you must be old... 

No it was a screening on ITV of one of his old Bond films.Thunderball I think?

46 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

Was too young when Dallas was on originally as was born in 1985 so pretty much half way through it’s run but really got into it when Mother was rewatching it a few years ago on some channel.

I thought before it was crap but have watched it all and the movies over last few years Victoria Principal as Pam was sex on legs as was Priscilla Presley as Jenna Wade, Linda Gray wasn’t bad either. 

Barbara Bel Geddes was brilliant as Miss Ellie a great actress, Donna Reed wasn’t a patch on her, didn’t know she had Breast Cancer in real life as well soon the scene were she says she was ‘deformed’ was sensational. 

The show never really recovered from the Dream series which is a shame as Ray and Donna with the Down Syndrome story was excellent as was the culmination of Sue Ellen’s Alcoholism but then Bobby came back and it never happened as did Pam marrying Mark etc. 

If Bobby had to come back I would of done it that the bloke who was a serial killer and who was paid to kill Ronaldo Marchetta and frame Jenna for it on Catherine’s instructions would escape Prison and would be out for revenge against Bobby who helped send him to prison. The FBI would be scared for Bobby’s safety and would of used Catherine running over Bobby as the perfect excuse to put Bobby in witness protection to make the serial killer believe that Bobby was dead, the Ewing’s of course wouldn’t of known for there safety, Bobby could of returned when the Police found the killer or he was killed in a shootout with the police. Very far fetched I know but in that way Bobby could return there would be no dream sequences and all the stories could of carried on as before.

I know I have spent way too much time thinking this through, one of the curses of lockdown as well as wondering how Man United could reach next season’s Champions League once it was obvious season would be completed bloody bad result tonight against Southampton but they deserved it and shows we are not as far on as we thought and still need improvement in defence and Midfield and probably only done as well because of easy set of fixtures. 

My favourite character though had to be JR, Larry Hagman was born to play JR he was arguably soaps greatest ever character. Watching the series though you can see just how bad his drinking effected him he ages so much over the years, I know everyone ages but Larry really aged significantly more than the rest of the cast  still hardly surprising considering he was drinking between 4 to 5 bottles of champagne a day whilst filming a Dallas. Along with the liver transplant, his drug intake it really was a miracle he lived so long. 

I often wonder how different Dallas might have been if Jock Ewing actor  Jim Davis hadn't died. 

17 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I often wonder how different Dallas might have been if Jock Ewing actor  Jim Davis hadn't died. 

Well there would never of been the battle for Ewing Oil between Bobby and JR arguably Dallas greatest storyline after Who Shot JR? That season when JR and Bobby went up against each other was brilliant so many twists and turns.

It would of been different that is for sure if Jock had been around longer, Jock was the only person really who could control JR and JR idolised his Daddy, also Jock was the only one who could control Bobby’s temper the boys probably wouldn’t of got into as much trouble if he was still around. Having said that it would of been different trouble as the Ewing’s always were in some sort of trouble but there is no way for instance that Cliff Barnes would end up in control of Ewing Oil or JR getting involved with Terrorists and losing the business before getting it back he would of reigned JR in. Also no Clayton and Miss Ellie because although she loved Clayton, Jock was her true love. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Lucy Ewing AKA Charlene Tilton who was nicknamed by some as the poison dwarf?

That nickname is down to Terry Wogan isn't it?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fergie86 said:

Well there would never of been the battle for Ewing Oil between Bobby and JR arguably Dallas greatest storyline after Who Shot JR? That season when JR and Bobby went up against each other was brilliant so many twists and turns.

It would of been different that is for sure if Jock had been around longer, Jock was the only person really who could control JR and JR idolised his Daddy, also Jock was the only one who could control Bobby’s temper the boys probably wouldn’t of got into as much trouble if he was still around. Having said that it would of been different trouble as the Ewing’s always were in some sort of trouble but there is no way for instance that Cliff Barnes would end up in control of Ewing Oil or JR getting involved with Terrorists and losing the business before getting it back he would of reigned JR in. Also no Clayton and Miss Ellie because although she loved Clayton, Jock was her true love. 

Oh aye and...the final episode is called Conundrum and it's a two hander (Bobby and J.R.) around the pool at Southfork which considers how Bobby's life would have been with no J.R.. Actually a really good trick to present an alternative history and leave the audience questioning how much of what they thought was true had to be the way it was. Oddly, Shameless - sort of - pulled the same trick with their final episode with a kind of looking back and reckoning for Frank after he'd come out of jail (the biggest begging question in Shameless being how someone like him had stayed out of there the whole time)

51 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

That nickname is down to Terry Wogan isn't it?

I'm not sure? I thought it originated with Larry Hagman? Although I'm far from certain. 

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm not sure? I thought it originated with Larry Hagman? Although I'm far from certain. 

It was deffo Wogan who came up with that one.

Apparently, at the time, she was less than happy about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Definitely Wigon that gave her that name - I have remembered I had a Dallas calendar one year and Lucy was on my birth month.  I am also short, and some would say poisonous.  Crap at riding horses though.  She’s 61, 61 I tell you! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Definitely Wigon that gave her that name - I have remembered I had a Dallas calendar one year and Lucy was on my birth month.  I am also short, and some would say poisonous.  Crap at riding horses though.  She’s 61, 61 I tell you! 

…..and Linda Gray is 80 in September!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

…..and Linda Gray is 80 in September!

Fackin ell - you was in the year above her at school weren’t you? :old: