Sign in to follow this  
Grim_Rita

Mickey Spillane

Apparently now a Jehovahs Witness, if that's any indication. Probably will be playing a little "chin music" on St Peter soon

Guest iain

yup the news is hes dead at 88

Is it just me or did anyone else think he had bought the farm years ago. I have to admit I was somewhat surprised to find he had been alive until so recently. At any rate, it is a loss to the literary world (although I can't say I ever read any Mike Hammer novels, I just watched the television series because of my interest in the career of Stacy Keach.

And why does the name Spillane always make me think of Spelunking?

Is it just me or did anyone else think he had bought the farm years ago.

That assumption ran through my mind every time I watched Full Metal Jacket.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker!

Private Joker: Sir, yes, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Forty-two twelve, basic military journalism. You gotta be s**tting me! You think you're Mickey Spillane? You think you're some kind of f**king writer?

Private Joker: Sir, I wrote for my high-school newspaper, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Jesus H. Christ, Joker! You're not a writer, you're a killer!

Private Joker: A killer, yes sir!

Is it just me or did anyone else think he had bought the farm years ago. I have to admit I was somewhat surprised to find he had been alive until so recently.

To be honest, I was surprised to his obituary on the news last night - I thought he was hardy enough to last longer honestly.

Still, he was very talented. A sad loss.

Why did C.P. alter his avatar to an image of Barnard Hughes who recently died at the tender age of 90?

Why did C.P. alter his avatar to an image of Barnard Hughes who recently died at the tender age of 90?

It's part explained in the Not Famous But... thread, BB. Also, you know what they say - "a change is as good as a rest" :lol:

It's part explained in the Not Famous But... thread, BB. Also, you know what they say - "a change is as good as a rest" :lol:

Ah, yes! I realized this shortly after when I googled Barnard Hughes and then did a Deathlist searcheroo of Barnard Hughes...

I must now look to see if Barnard Hughes ever worked in any Spillane related works.

That and no one seemed to be enjoying Steve Perry in all of his over-emotive glory. :D

Glad to hear you're OK BB.