Grim_Rita

Dave Allen

Guest Guest_viva voce

No longer "At Large" then.

I enjoyed his show in the 70s, but as he'd been off the TV for so long I wasn't sure if he was still alive. Bit like Stanley Baxter really.

Does anyone know how he lost his finger?

Does anyone know how he lost his finger?

He was on the radio very recently and although I only heard a small part he did mention that he was chopping wood with his father. His father thought that Dave would move his finger, Dave thought his father would not swing the axe!

Re: his finger, it was a running joke with him and he told several stories and gags about it, the one about his dad chopping wood being one the best. Others included waking up alone in a supposedly haunted cottage, feeling something crawling up the blankets, grabbing and biting it and ending up losing a finger. He also claimed it had been shot off, lost up his nose and.....

He was a secretive man so maybe someone will give us the definitive account now he's not around.

Guest iain smith

desperately sad news..what a unique talent.great man. the world is a poorer place without him.R.I.P

Goodnight and may his god go with him

Re: his finger, it was a running joke with him and he told several stories and gags about it, the one about his dad chopping wood being one the best. Others included waking up alone in a supposedly haunted cottage, feeling something crawling up the blankets, grabbing and biting it and ending up losing a finger. He also claimed it had been shot off, lost up his nose and.....

He was a secretive man so maybe someone will give us the definitive account now he's not around.

The real story behind the loss of his finger?

What a shame - 68's no age really even for all the smokin' and drinkin'. His son went to the same school as me. Great man - let's hope for many re-runs on the TV...

Great man - let's hope for many re-runs on the TV...

Certainly a 20th century classic performer. :D

One of the best and funniest comics around. Will be sadly missed

Someone mentioned Stanley Baxter. He hasn't been seen for a bit either. One to think about for 2006 perhaps?

One of the funniest men of the 20th century!!

Sheesh, there's a turn up for the books.

I was only thinking about him a couple of days ago.

Me too, how weird. Always liked his work. He was quite sexy in a funny sort of way.

Dave Allen was one of the best comedians around. He has left behind a lasting legacy that will be a very hard act to follow.

Biopic incoming:

CIA Guy as Allen I can take or leave, but Simon Day as Lew Grade is genius casting.

• Like 1