BrunoBrimley

Barney Is Dead

Barney Martin the actor who portrayed the father Morty on the lackluster Jerry Seinfeld television show has died. According to reports the 82 year old man succumbed to cancer. Rumor has it though he was forced to watch all the episodes of the program and that the strain was too much for him.

http://abcnews.go.co...Story?id=610893

Are you on drugs? :o

Seinfeld was one of the best TV shows of the last 20 years. Second only The Simpsons in truth. Fact!

Oh gawd, not another Simpson lover! You don't happen to work in the media by any chance?

The simpsons is... wait, was great. The old episodes were fantastic, but it's collapsed, completely of late. Matt Groening's other show 'Futurama' was far superior, but fox killed it. As usual.

I am terribly disappointed in the title of this thread. I opened it in the hopes it would reveal the demise of a certain purple dinosaur.

As to the other comments:

Seinfeld was less than lackluster and only succeeded because the rest of the country had never met people like the characters on the show. I lived in NY for a while and knew many people very much like the show's characters. Except for Kramer, I only met a few people like him.

The Simpsons was a great show, but jumped the shark long ago. The only thing keeping it on the air is an absolutely brilliant contract Groening's lawyers were able to get signed, and a rabid cult following that allows for certain demographically targeted marketing.

I am terribly disappointed in the title of this thread. I opened it in the hopes it would reveal the demise of a certain purple dinosaur.

Me too. Two years ago, I told my daughter that Barney was dead, after having been hit by a bus. It would've been nice to show her some proof.

(Because, of course, if it's on the internet, it must be true) :unsure:

Guest Guest

Barney the dinosaur is dead, after having been hit by a bus.

There, will that help. Also, save yoursleves shed loads and tell her Santa brought it as well.

jumped the shark long ago.

Puhlease. Nobody says that any more. Get with the times, man.

jumped the shark long ago.

Puhlease. Nobody says that any more. Get with the times, man.

If truth be told eejit many still use the phrase and for your own benefit I can even point you to a lovely site dedicated to the aforementioned shark jumping.

http://www.jumptheshark.com

give them a visit and if you don't like it then you can, well, to quote your hero: "eat my shorts man"

But reallly, "don't have a cow" about this okay? The facts being what they are SEINFELD SUCKED--and I mean BIG TIME!

Me too. Two years ago, I told my daughter that Barney was dead, after having been hit by a bus. It would've been nice to show her some proof.

(Because, of course, if it's on the internet, it must be true) :unsure:

Sorry to have disappointed you, I too wish it had been the big dinosaur. How many times could my kids stand to play that gosh awful "I love you, you love me" nonsense? My brother gave a Barney tape to my daughter when she was 4. At 7 she made me proud when she put it in the trash compactor along with her stuffed Barney toy. (evidently she knew Goodwill wouldn't want these things).

If truth be told eejit many still use the phrase and for your own benefit I can even point you to a lovely site dedicated to the aforementioned shark jumping.

The phrase jumped the shark has jumped the shark. At this point even saying "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark has jumped the shark.

What media do you work in?

Oil and canvas. Thanks for asking.

Sorry BB and TH, it is NOT lackluster.

Lacklustre

Yours pedantically............

Lacklustre

What we have here is a clear case of British spelling versus correct spelling. :unsure:

Lacklustre

Nice one, Josco, so basically you're saying that they're wrong in both spelling AND point. Thanks for the backup. :unsure:

Mr Josco? Any comment on Guest's "Santa brought it"?

Lacklustre

Nice one, Josco, so basically you're saying that they're wrong in both spelling AND point. Thanks for the backup. :unsure:

Either Josco was agreeing or he wasn't. It's almost impossible to tell. Perhaps he has a case of split personality wherein he drifts between British and Californian. Now with that out of the way keep in mind that when you do a comprehensive (heck even a not so comprehensive) search you'll quickly find both spellings to be accepted. As an added not, keep in mind that on the United States version of Google searching, if one enters 'lacklustre' a memo will ask if the searcher is in reality looking for 'lackluster'.

ennyways thart be whaz it are to daye. (eyes uh produckt uv fox broads casting edsyucashinunnul progrems)

Had to make a spelling change.

Of course, we Brits are also guilty of adding unnecessary letters to our wourds...

But it does add a certain, um, er, colour to it (the spelling) now doesn't it? Or is that just a rumour?

The phrase jumped the shark has jumped the shark. At this point even saying "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark has jumped the shark.

The phrase has become passe' only for those who beat it to death in incorrect use. The term should only apply to television shows that are still being produced. Too many people refer to shows in syndication as having "jumped the shark", and this has made the phrase trite. I didn't take part in said dead horse beating, so I will continue to use it untill I tire of it.

BB  :unsure:

Of course, we Brits are also guilty of adding unnecessary letters to our wourds...

I have no problems dealing with the differences in spelling, and when I was teaching I let this be known. I just don't see the point in being pedantic (Josco's favorite word it seems) when everyone is aware of the differing standards. Isn't there enough actual language butchery on the 'net without looking for issues?

I do hold the Brits responsible for the Teletubbies, though, but I guess, if you take that stupid dinosaur into account, we're even. I was not aware he'd crossed the pond. /Conjures image of Godzilla-sized purple dinosaur approaching London. *shudder*

Boudicca, Mr. Claus's demise is no secret from the kiddies. This from my profile:

photo-121.jpg

Lacklustre

.............when you do a comprehensive (heck even a not so comprehensive) search you'll quickly find both spellings to be accepted...........

"Accepted" by whom?

I'm with Mr Josco on this one, so it would seem the civilised world favours "Lacklustre" which is after all the proper way of spelling it.

If others insist on being obstinately and evangelically wrong, then we are done for. But that is nothing new, is it?

Still bothered by having lost that war some years back? (I don't know which one so just make a choice and run with it) Not to disappoint you NotAPotato but the civiliZed world is about more than just spelling. I suppose soon you'll be claiming that what we here in the states call soccer is really football even though the real game of football is much more brutal (at least among the players).

Also keep in mind, I am NEVER wrong and if you don't believe it just ask me.

Still bothered by having lost that war some years back? (I don't know which one so just make a choice and run with it)  Not to disappoint you NotAPotato but the civiliZed world is about more than just spelling.  I suppose soon you'll be claiming that what we here in the states call soccer is really football even though the real game of football is much more brutal (at least among the players).

Also keep in mind, I am NEVER wrong and if you don't believe it just ask me.

I don't recall having lost any wars recently. Or started any for that matter.

If there are people in the world who find it interesting to watch a bunch of men in full body armour pushing each other up and down a field with a minute's break every 20 seconds, and who choose to call that football, then that's their business. And if they think the value of a so-called sport should be measured by its level of brutality, then it's not that surprising that the same people judge others on their presumed ability in warfare, as if it were admirable or honourable to kick the sh*t out of other people who simply want to defend themselves.

That's all I'm saying. Feel free to have the last word.

But mind your spelling.!

IT

Sure as shootin I shore hopes I dun speelt that thare ward co-recktlee