Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mambu

Ruby Muhammad

Guest Mambu

Ruby Muhammad (born March 29, 1897) is the widow of Nation of Islam founder Elijah Muhammad. She was originally born in Americus, Georgia.

She joined the Nation in 1946 and was named Mother of the Nation of Islam in 1986 by Minister Louis Farrakhan, and has an international following of admiration by those in the Nation of Islam.

At 107, she is quite close to achieving supercentenarian status.

Blimey - and I thought that Brooke Astor was old! Has there been anything in the media in the last few months regarding Ruby's health?

Blimey - and I thought that Brooke Astor was old! Has there been anything in the media in the last few months regarding Ruby's health?

Last I heard, she was still swimming, but that may have been a year or two back.

Last I heard, she was still swimming, but that may have been a year or two back.

This thread has got dull as f*ck written all over it.

Ruby isn't DL material, bloody disgrace selecting her.

I hate to be one of those people sitting around complaining about the list on New Years, but I do agree with TF on this one. Famous for being Famous certainly. Old, but hale. And chances are the only times she'll be in the news will be a passing mention, her 110th birthday or her death.

The 110 is very weird. A Deathlist record at the least, but her fame qualifys.

Fame?

Amongst deadpoolers maybe, amongst the general populace, virtually unknown.

"Candidates must have a certain level of famousness, which is basically that their demise must be expected to be reported by the UK media." If it is isn't you are right TF. If it is then you will be wrong.

I have just hit the search engine to find what this woman looks like, i found her pic on this site,mustafaamuhammad.blogspot.com/72k.anyway she seems livley to me~107!!!!!and thats good innings!

I have just hit the search engine to find what this woman looks like, i found her pic on this site,mustafaamuhammad.blogspot.com/72k.anyway she seems livley to me~107!!!!!and thats good innings!

World Famous....and very active :party:

I was looking at her wikipedia entry a few nights ago, mainly to see if she was still alive, and apparntly she was never married to the founder of nation of Islam as was previously stated. With that in mind, is she likley to get a UK obit?

seems like just about anyone who's confirmed to be older than dirt gets a UK obit when they finally kick that breathing habit..

I'll agree...this is going to be a pretty dead thread.

Has anyone yet suggested that perhaps the "Mother of Islam" should have had an abortion?

YIA, go down the mosque and say that!

Re obit, I think there's no question about her getting a UK obit. Deffo, so will a load of others discussed as too dull for the DL at the end of last year. Including my fave picks Lindsey Hughes and the -already deceased - Michael Mayne. The Nation of Islam were a major influence on domestic affairs in the US giving her - by association - one thread to the obit, secondly her age alone makes the story interesting.

Won't necessarily do much to keep this thread out of the relegation zone though. She could be this year's Casper Weinberger.

Hmm how disapointing that she has made the list. A boring choice whose age almost certainly guarantees a success for the list. Over half of the top ten are over a hundred with two being over 105 (Brooke Astor). Anyone else think it reads like a bit of a cop out? Furthermore all Deathlist's hits last year were men and with only 7 women on this years list the trend may continue.

Has anyone yet suggested that perhaps the "Mother of Islam" should have had an abortion?

An early contender for the Monkeys 2007 post of the year???

It's only January 2 and this thread already includes more information about Ol' Ruby than any other source on the planet...

It's only January 2 and this thread already includes more information about Ol' Ruby than any other source on the planet...

Doesn't she count as a source on this planet any more? I'll bet she could tell a few stories if them 109 year old fingers could only be made to post here.

Doesn't she count as a source on this planet any more? I'll bet she could tell a few stories if them 109 year old fingers could only be made to post here.

I'd rather not think about what the 110-year-old Mother of Islam can and can't do with her fingers, thank you very much :D

According to the BBC, Saddam's last word was "Muhammed".

Although they suggest it was the beginning of a prayer, I believe that he was trying to pass on a tip to us all. After all, this was the man who had his very own deathlist constantly. Scored quite highly too. :D

Any chance we can correct the thread title to Ruby Muhammad?

And I'm sorry for being ignorant, but has anyone a link with more detail about exactly who she is?

Any chance we can correct the thread title to Ruby Muhammad?

done

And I'm sorry for being ignorant, but has anyone a link with more detail about exactly who she is?

I don't think that there is much information about her available. I have not been able to find a source with more than a paragraph on her anywhere.

According to the BBC, Saddam's last word was "Muhammed".

Perhaps he was in mid sentence.

Our version would be, "Jesus Christ! How did I get in this mess!?".