weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Germany's oldest man and World War I veteran Rudolf Christmann has died, leaving Germany with two veterans in Germany (one of whom served for Austria-Hungary) and one in the United States.

Great article on Harry Patch that also makes it obvious the UK vets are in for a busy time.

Patch is - probably - the oldest first time author in history and at 109 can see well without glasses. What a man!

Guest GuestyWOOO!

When working at Henry Allinghams care home on Sunday, he started the day of well, but later on in the day he started to feel ill :angry: I hope he is ok, very nice guy, I will find out on Thursday if he is any better :)

When working at Henry Allinghams care home on Sunday, he started the day of well, but later on in the day he started to feel ill :angry: I hope he is ok, very nice guy, I will find out on Thursday if he is any better :)

I'm sure I need not remind you of patient carer confidentiality.

You may not refer to a specific resident by name, or disclose any information regarding a particular individuals health.

But then again, this is deathlist.

Guest GuestyWOOO

You may not refer to a specific resident by name, or disclose any information regarding a particular individuals health.

Lol, I work as a Caterer so I dunno if the same rules apply

Lol, I work as a Caterer so I dunno if the same rules apply

Perhaps it was something he ate

Hmm

Allingham failing and Patch still seeing clearly without glasses aged 109, and dictating a book. Reminds me that these men are a finite resource and also their health and vitality is impressive. So, s'cuse me talking shop and that but....

We must establish a WW1 special collection centeganarian sperm bank before it's too late. Bottled, frozen and used for the good of all humanity, or mebbe sold for vast quantities of cash.

Question is, would Allingham survive his first squirt?

Hmm

Allingham failing and Patch still seeing clearly without glasses aged 109, and dictating a book. Reminds me that these men are a finite resource and also their health and vitality is impressive. So, s'cuse me talking shop and that but....

We must establish a WW1 special collection centeganarian sperm bank before it's too late. Bottled, frozen and used for the good of all humanity, or mebbe sold for vast quantities of cash.

You've just done something that Allingham never did...gone over the top :huh:

Hmm

You've just done something that Allingham never did...gone over the top :(

Yes Maryport, its in bad taste....rather salty too, so I'm told.... :huh:

Honestly, you can take political correctness too far. Far enough to miss out on a visionary idea. Hell, there were people in the early thirties in Germany shrugging their shoulders and saying; 'the trains are always late, that's how it's always been, innit?' A few years later they weren't complaining.

Whaddya reckon to the brand name, I thought:

Longevity Love Custard

On second thoughts, I'll get me coat!

Henry and Bill out and about, kinda like the Eric and Ernie/ Vic and Bob of the DL.

Mebbe they should make a sitcom, struggling to get a deal for more than one series, mind.

Henry and Bill out and about, kinda like the Eric and Ernie/ Vic and Bob of the DL.

Mebbe they should make a sitcom, struggling to get a deal for more than one series, mind.

Their careers are going in a better direction than Vic Reeves that's for sure!

;)

US veteran William Seegers is now dead - that's 24 verified, 11 unverified/WWI era left - 35 in total.

Also, the Genarians website has a little pic of nearly all the 24 verified veterans in a new page on that website.

Seegers had been in a hospice, so his death is about as much a surprise as that Thursday will be the day after Wednesday.

From the Wiki topic page linked above a discussion of the genuine combat veterans, along with Harry - the last Tommy - Patch they are:

Louis de Cazenave (France) Lazare de Ponticelli (France/Italy), also combat-wounded Erich Kastner (Germany) Justin Tuveri (for Italy) Franz Kunstler (Austria-Hungary) Delfino Borroni (Italy), also prisoner of war Francesco Chiarello(Italy)

CBC's The National had an interesting report on John F. Babcock last night.

Some important things to note were that he lives in his own home with a much younger wife, he's witty with a fairly sharp mind and although he talks a little slowly, he looks about 10 times better than Charles Lane did at 100 (see the link in the Charles Lane thread). He's also well cared for by both his wife and, apparentely, the Prime Minister of Canada, who sent him a tie and cake for his 107th birthday. Overall he looks to be in his late 80s, early 90s, though it's hard to pin down. Definetely not looking his age though.

I guess the bottom line is this - if you were thinking of picking him for your CPDP, don't be surprised if he makes the year. On the other hand, he is still 106, and if he does die, you can guarantee the requisite obit.

He's going to be on my team. I'm going to keep some of my current candidates, but the team definitely needs some old, tired blood.

William Young has died at the age of 107

William Young has died at the age of 107

Given all the non-UK vets that were picked (Brunier, Meier, Pierro), I'm surprised no one chose him, seeing as how he was more likely to get the UK obit than any of those.

Guest Guest

Harry Patch alo has a book that has just gone on sale called The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches

So we have went a month without any other WWI vets passing away?

So we have went a month without any other WWI vets passing away?

No vets have died since July 24 - in fact we're actually up one thanks to Yakup Satar. Most (but not all) of them have been recently confirmed to be alive as well. Recent news, however, is not as encouraging. Allingham is greatly slowing down and becoming unable to maneuver. An update on J. Russell Coffey by a visitor claims that Coffey is unlikely to survive another year to his 110th birthday. The family of Justin Tuveri is hoping that he will pass away soon, as he is supposedly weak, sick and in incredible pain.

The family of Justin Tuveri is hoping that he will pass away soon, as he is supposedly weak, sick and in incredible pain.

Gone