weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

If theres only 28 if them, it wouldn't be impossible for them all to die in 2008. Its amazing enough to think they are alive 91 years after the war ended. And considering must countries are down to one or two, most of them would get an obit somewhere.

there's also one Canadian vet living in the USA. Makes a pleasant change from the tide of draft dodgers heading in the other direction eh?

Having been the one who researched for and wrote John Babcock's Wikipedia entry, I have to stand up and defend my countryman. After serving in WWI, Babcock did indeed move to the USA, but then he joined the United States army (back when you could do that sort of thing) during the World War II era (though he didn't serve in the war itself). So if he's a draft dodger, he's piss poor at it.

Speaking of immigration, for some reason I am reminded that I read somewhere that punishment for defacing a bridge in certain parts of England is still "deportation to Australia." So if ever you're looking for a cheap vacation...

If theres only 28 if them, it wouldn't be impossible for them all to die in 2008. Its amazing enough to think they are alive 91 years after the war ended.

The war ended in 1916? That's a surprise to all those who died fighting up to 1918 that all their effort didn't count...! :sicktherm:

CP I wasn't accusing yer man Babcock of draft dodging, merely commenting on the irony of an experienced Canadian warrior moving to the USA as against Canada's role as a bolt hole for Americans unwilling to fight for their country.

CP I wasn't accusing yer man Babcock of draft dodging, merely commenting on the irony of an experienced Canadian warrior moving to the USA as against Canada's role as a bolt hole for Americans unwilling to fight for their country.

I know. I was just looking for an excuse to post the Australia thing. ;)

Paul,

Wonder how much the fare is from England to Australia? Well, maybe when the law was written the offenders were strapped onto the back of a camel or something, headed south. ;)

The math says that 32 will die this year

Assuming that we know about every veteran that has died in 2007 (still a big assumption, but not so much as at the end of last year, since many of the "under the radar" veterans died and most of the remaining ones are relatively high profile), then the final tally was 34 actual veterans and 5 "era" veterans. So overall, the math provided a pretty fair guess.

Weasel: The law written not only when passage was by ship, but when, if you were being sent there by ship as a criminal, you probably had to work on it on the ride over. :banghead:

Does anybody know the verifiability of this? I saw this on Wikipedia, and if this source is trusty enough then it looks like there's finally decent proof for Serioli's death.

Does anybody know the verifiability of this? I saw this on Wikipedia, and if this source is trusty enough then it looks like there's finally decent proof for Serioli's death.

There was discussion about it on Wikipedia, and I think it was agreed that it's a local news source, and trusty enough to at least confirm his death. Definitely dead, leaving us with 19 veterans and a handful of "era-ers."

The verified veterans count goes down to 18, as Erich Kästner decided to celebrate the New Year by dying. The picture is in German, mind, but easily shows the thing we want to know - he's dead.

The verified veterans count goes down to 18, as Erich Kästner decided to celebrate the New Year by dying. The picture is in German, mind, but easily shows the thing we want to know - he's dead.

Wow. Out of all the major players in World War I (Italy, France, US, UK/Australia/Canada, Ottoman Empire), who would have thought that Germany would be the first to lose all of its World War I veterans? Well... depends on whether you count Russia as a major player or not I suppose, which you probably should... but still.

Wow. Out of all the major players in World War I (Italy, France, US, UK/Australia/Canada, Ottoman Empire), who would have thought that Germany would be the first to lose all of its World War I veterans? Well... depends on whether you count Russia as a major player or not I suppose, which you probably should... but still.

Are we sure about this? I know Wikipedia is not always reliable but it has the last surviving German as a Franz Kunstler.

Are we sure about this? I know Wikipedia is not always reliable but it has the last surviving German as a Franz Kunstler.

He lives in Germany, but he served in the Austo-Hungarian army. Not quite sure how I managed to miss that as a major WWI player, seeing as how they started the whole bloody thing (ish). <_<

People keep reporting on Wikipedia that Stanisław Wycech has died. If true, that would mean the end of both the last German and the last Polish veteran of WWI has died in January 2008, but I can't find a link for Wycech.

Edit: Here's an obituary in English

France's oldest vetran Louis de Cazenave dies

Crap.................. you beat me by seconds

Edited by heaven can wait

And since I posted it at the same time in the DDP thread, this may be the first triple simultaneous post in DL history! And here I thought I had a scoop... I should also note that the BBC report is technically wrong. There are two more French veterans, Ponticelli and Raymond Cambefort, but the French government doesn't recognize his tenure due to the length of service.

And since I posted it at the same time in the DDP thread, this may be the first triple simultaneous post in DL history! And here I thought I had a scoop...

Actually, you posted yours at 5.10, one minute after us ;)

Is it just me, or has the deaths of WWI veterans sped up recently?

Here's an overview of the last six months.

August: none

September: none

October: Tuveri

November: Bertolami

December: Coffey, Serioli

January: Kästner, Wycech, de Cazenave so far

The above is nowt special, they died a bit faster at the Somme.

The above is nowt special, they died a bit faster at the Somme.

True, but it pretty much declined to a two month break after that and now it's rising up again.