weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Pierre Picault is dead as well, leaving us with only four WWI countries, all of them English-speaking.

Another one, like Goux, given a low profile on Wikipedia and refused service in my CPDP theme team for fear of no point scoring obit. Be interesting to see what coverage this gets.

This site is claiming that a Ukrainian veteran, hitherto unlisted by most websites tracking WWI veterans, has died. Apparently one of those pesky "unconfirmed claims."

For what it's worth, Wikipedia lists Ukraine's last WWI veteran as having died three years ago.

Krichevsky wasn't an official WWI veteran.. he just claimed he was and despite not being proven, he probably was as records were poorly recorded in WWI... however there are a lot of people out there who just exaggerate or make up claims to pocket a few bob. Guinness have stated that the "world's oldest person" record has many claimants, most of which turn out to be complete nonsense. :referee:

I was working on the Hall of Candidates for the CPDP. When I got Bill Stone, I discovered that he died yesterday, the first World War I veteran death of 2009.

Not much sign on the internet yet but Stone will get national UK coverage for sure, and likely full blown obits in a broadsheet or two. I've already awarded the Deathrace points, it'll take a nuclear strike on the UK to stop him qualifying for those.

My first hit on the DDP for 2009. :banghead: Victory will be mine!

Pierre Picault is dead as well, leaving us with only four WWI countries, all of them English-speaking.

So we finally got rid of all the Huns, huh?

The youngest verified World War I veteran, Claude Choules, has just turned 108. Can't really tell much about his health from the article/picture, but perhaps others are more perceptive than I today. Seems to be doing okay, considering his age, which is nice.

Only living Australian-based veteran John Campbell Ross turned 110 two days ago. His daughter said that he was "frail but otherwise in good health, eating well and not taking any medication."

And on the first anniversary of his death, Lazare Ponticelli was Wikipedia's daily featured article... not the most major news but a nice little tidbit.

Netherwood Hughes has died at the age of 108.

That means there are only 6 verified WWI veterans left....

2 living in the UK (Henry and Harry),

2 living in the USA (Frank and JohnB)

2 living in Australia (Claude and JohnC)

....... it's on :(

....... it's on <_<

The Guardian have given Ned a mention in the News in Brief section on their site... does that count as a sound obituary for the DDP?

US WWI veteran claimee Robley Rex has died, aged 107 - Dead - but he was not, as the article starts, the last WWI veteran living in the US.

US WWI veteran claimee Robley Rex has died, aged 107 - Dead - but he was not, as the article starts, the last WWI veteran living in the US.

Swine flu I expect. More proof of a pandemic. Does the BBC know?

When Jack Jones died I heard a news report suggesting there were half a dozen surviving members of the British contingent - originally numbering 2000 - of the International Brigade.

There's a memorial site and a Wiki page but neither sports a definitive list of those still with us. Anyone know where such a list does exist?

When Jack Jones died I heard a news report suggesting there were half a dozen surviving members of the British contingent - originally numbering 2000 - of the International Brigade.

There's a memorial site and a Wiki page but neither sports a definitive list of those still with us. Anyone know where such a list does exist?

As far as I know, there is no such list. However, it was the 1930s, as apposed to the 1910s when WWI took place. However there were much less of them and they were all older at the time - if you give it another five years I'd say the list on wiki will be just about as reliable as it can be... but at the moment new names keep springing up in the media all the time... a new Fascist Forces members was added to the list on wiki last week so there are clearly much more out there than originally thought. I think it's safe to say there must be 50+.....

I think it's safe to say there must be 50+.....

Hmmm, that'll keep us in CPDP theme teams for a while then.

Waldemar Levy Cardoso has died aged 108. He was the last surivivng field marshal from the Brazilian Army serving in WWII and he was also one of two surviving WWI-ERA veterans still alive. This now makes Josef Kowalski of Poland the last surviving WWI-era veteran and brings the world total for veterans (including Douglas Terrey's claim of being a veteran) down to 8.

Waldemar Levy Cardoso has died aged 108. He was the last surivivng field marshal from the Brazilian Army serving in WWII and he was also one of two surviving WWI-ERA veterans still alive. This now makes Josef Kowalski of Poland the last surviving WWI-era veteran and brings the world total for veterans (including Douglas Terrey's claim of being a veteran) down to 8.

He was picked by The Vydrolak on the DDP. This will be their 3rd and unique hit if he gets a suitable UK obit. Still haven't seen one yet.

Henry Allingham amazes me. He really does.

But is he going to make it to his 113th birthday?

Yes, it's soon. But he's only the second oldest person in the UK and the second oldest man in the world.

He could die at any time.

Nonetheless, I hope he presents a challenge to Jeanne Calment.

I'm not even English, but I do think it would be epic if he achieved this...

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/im...ham_calment.jpg

Yep exactly two weeks today, what's even more amazing is out of all the other supercentenarians verified by GRG, he probably looks the most frail but he's still managing to hold on, whereas some of the more "healthy looking" individuals are going all the time....

He will make 113, and no doubt they'll be a news report on the BBC... well deserved Henry.... he does face stiff competition from Tomoji Tanabe (the world's oldest man) though - he shows no signs of slowing down and stated recently that he wanted to go on for another 10 years!! :banghead:

I assume the subject of Allingham is being raised because of this BBC report. He looks awful I'm sad to say and, while he'll probably make 113, I'll be surprised if he doesn't earn me some HDP points by the end of the year.

By the way, I love how the commercial they forced me to watch before the video was longer than the video itself. :banghead:

....... it's on :)

Isn't John Babcock Canadian? Or at least serve with the Canadian army?