weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

I couldn't help noticing in the BBC footage of Harry Patch's funeral that the phantom clapper was on the street. Everyone is standing in respectful silence until the phantom clapper starts and suddenly everyone is clapping.

Also couldn't help noticing that the Vicar from Dad's Army was officiating.

Finally I notice that one of the buglers enjoys a little circulatory flourish with his bugle. Has the Barmy Army's Billy the Bugler been taking some enforced time off from his test match duties? Just wondered.

The Sun yesterday reported the 'discovery' of a final verified British veteran, overlooked thus far because she is female. 108 year old Florence Green was in the WRAF from 1918, including some service during wartime. Never got out of Norfolk on active service, but a vet is a vet, or summat.

Frank Buckles - Last U.S. veteran of World War I turns 109

Washington (CNN) -- The last surviving U.S. veteran of World War I, former Cpl. Frank Buckles, turns 109 on Monday and is still hoping for a national memorial in Washington for his comrades.

Buckles is expected to deliver remarks during a quiet celebration Monday afternoon at his home in Charles Town, West Virginia

So am I right in thinking the podium positions are to be filled by Babcock, Choules and Buckles, with the latter a marginal favourite for gold?

I've just read the whole thread, fascinating stuff and quite an education.

Claude Choules is the only surviving veteran to have seen active service. Surely that qualifies him as the only real veteran of the war. I know that there are official guidelines and whatnot, but if they didn't do anything...should they be counted?

I think that Patch was the last veteran in the real sense of the word given that he actually fought in the trenches. Choules, for example, explained his war as boring.

Coudn't agree more. It's good that the BBC and Sky are reporting him as the last veteran. Although Choules did put his life at risk, but not to the extent that Patch did.

John Babcock will be the last out of the three though. His health is amazing for his age whereas Buckles and Choules look like garden vegetables ready to boil in the soup..... :)

:(

Also it'd be something of an anti-climax if the last 'veteran' living was Florence Green, a waitress.

Babcock beat 'em to the punch!

So this leaves: Florence Green, Claude Choules, and Frank Buckles as the last 3 living. Right???

So this leaves: Florence Green, Claude Choules, and Frank Buckles as the last 3 living. Right???

Yesss and Jozef Kowalski of Poland as an "era" veteran if you want to include him...

Claude Choules isn't marking Armistice Day, and no real news on Frank Buckles or Florence Green other than that they're still with us.

It's too bad that none of them, if they're alive, will be 111 at 11:11 on 11/11/11.

Yeah Claude, hope 110 is a gas (arf!)

Guest Guest
Aye, it mentions the eight survivors but only names one. D'ya think if I wrote the memorial trust a nice letter along the lines of Dear Sir, I am a deadpooler currently enjoying good performance with a theme team of WW1 vets, however I will be unable to name ten of them next year to repeat the feat, would you kindly furnish me with names of the surviving UK IB members......

The one person they do mention,Sam Lesser, died last october. I wonder how many of the 8 are still around...

R.I.P Mr. Buckles.........

In order for Frank Buckles to lie in state in the nation's capitol it must be approved in Congress. This sucks out loud!!!!! Obama should step up and order this to be done, not only for the sake of Mr. Buckles but also in respect for the other Americans who gave their lives - or time - in service during the Great War!

There will be no other WWI veterans left to honor in this way.