weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

In order for Frank Buckles to lie in state in the nation's capitol it must be approved in Congress. This sucks out loud!!!!! Obama should step up and order this to be done, not only for the sake of Mr. Buckles but also in respect for the other Americans who gave their lives - or time - in service during the Great War!

There will be no other WWI veterans left to honor in this way.

So you believe that the US President should arbitrarily overrule the democratically elected peoples' representatives and legislative powers in Congress?

I think Frank Buckles and every other US serviceman (person?) that fought in the Great War, and every one since, were fighting to keep exactly the kind of elected government and constitution in place that "sucks out loud!!!!!" [sic]

Or am I misunderstanding your rebuke of the US system and your call for the US President to impose his/your will on the people, overturning democratic process along the way?

And so the last male veteran Claude Choules h as passed on ,aged 110 ,leaving Florence Green as the last living world war one veteran

It's amazing to think that out of all the million of men and women who fought in the first world war Claude Choules was the last person on earth who had actual memories of it.It's an historic,and sad, day

Agreed Notaguest, I had an affection for Claude and Harry Patch based on the down to earth interviews I'd heard them give. Both of them hated war, and said so when others suggested they were heroes.

Then again, I'm quietly elated at the thought that Claude (3rd in the HPDP line up at the start of the year) has pegged out after the two above him.

I too had a special affection for Claude, seeing as the British media had a habit of ignoring his existence just because he lived in Australia.

Well done Claude, and RIP.

So after Titanic another thread that can be locked.

Or can there be another one who went below the radar?

Geeeez! Never thought when I started this thread back in April it would still be going in November....cool!

6 years later.... :lol:

It would seem a shame to lock this thread, I'm sure there are a few stragglers and dubious contenders who will appear and claim to have taken part in some shape or form in WW1.

The oldest veteran in the world is now Józef Kowalski, 112. He fought in the Polish- Soviet War (1919-1921)

I suppose WWI passes into history now, mind you there's still those who remember the conflict at the time. They must be getting on now...

I thought we had a thread for generic "last surviving x" types, but apparently not. Here's a Wiki list of them, anyway: http://en.wikipedia....storical_events

Pick and choose yr own favourites.

Well there was an attempt of sorts here. Great Wiki find there.

That is indeed a wonderful page and the kind of thing that keeps me donating to them. Dead pooling gold!

I suppose WWI passes into history now, mind you there's still those who remember the conflict at the time. They must be getting on now...

Hadn't thought of it like that. If you remember soem aspect of the actual conflict (a battle happed in your village when you were 5 or something) are you technichally still a veteran?

As someone above said, don't lock the thread. There will certainly still be one or two who claim surviing veteran status.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. Hopefully it has been interesting and educational in some ways too!

The math says that 32 will die this year, 13 in 2008, 5 in 2009, and the last two vets will die in 2010.

We will see if that holds up.

You underestimated the power of veterans :)

• Like 1

Guest David

It's quite tragic. They just don't glorify war with its death and destruction like they used to.

Tottenkopf - there is nothing glamorous about war. It's not a sport, it's not a laugh. Three of my cousins are in Afghanistan at the minute,

It's quite tragic. They just don't glorify war with its death and destruction like they used to.

Tottenkopf - there is nothing glamorous about war. It's not a sport, it's not a laugh. Three of my cousins are in Afghanistan at the minute,

But your cousins weren't press-ganged into joining up. They joined up on their own free will, took the kings shilling, and will be on the front line to anywhere in the world the MOD deem necessary.

• Like 1

But your cousins weren't press-ganged into joining up. They joined up on their own free will, took the kings shilling, and will be on the front line to anywhere in the world the MOD deem necessary.

Unless they're in the Taliban?

Guest Guest

I posted that on another thread.Didn't post it here because it turns out he probably didn't serve in WW1 after all. It's wierd that he was never verified as the worlds oldest man though, which he must have been if the age is correct