weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

I suspect that it would be headline (or near enough) headline news when it is learned that the last WWI veteren has died, probably in the next four or five years...

Possible, although that doesn't make the person himself famous. When a plane crashes that makes headlines, and they often publish the pilot's name, but that wouldn't qualify the pilot for the DL.

Indeed, although it would require a true physic to know the pilots name before the plane crashed - so it could be put on the DeathList.

[indeed, although it would require a true physic to know the pilots name before the plane crashed - so it could be put on the DeathList.

true, but the point is that neither the last WW1 survivor nor the pilot of a crashed plane would be famous enough, in my view, for the DL. Unless it was Richard Branson or that Steve guy who was forever trying to fly around the world non-stop. He finally did it, I believe, for which I suppose we should give thanks if it means he'll stay out of the papers.

If memory serrves me correctly, there is a rule on the DL that people made famous because they are about to die or because of their death are not valid.

Can you clarify Mr Reaper??

;)

Okay, I know it's not a WWI veteran, but...

WWII veteran comes back from the dead

Mourners meet man after his funeral

August 30, 2005

MOURNERS who paid their last respects to a British war veteran were stunned to see him strolling through the town shortly after the funeral, newspapers said.

Friends of the former bus driver travelled from far and wide to attend the cremation after reading the death notice of a Frank Hughes in a local newspaper.

In a bizzare mix-up, the dead man being cremated had the same name and age and lived in the same northeast English town of Darlington as the mourners' beloved Frank.

Pals of the 80-year-old World War II veteran even mingled with relatives after paying their respects at the service.

No wonder they were astonished to see him wandering about the town later on.

Hughes said in The Sun newspaper: "One of them came flying across to me, saying, 'Frank, Frank, Frank, I can't believe it'.

"He said, 'I'm going to have to tell my wife straight away, she's been absolutely devastated.'

"Now I'm getting sick of people stopping me and telling me that I'm still alive."

WW1 veteran George Rice has died aged 108. Only seven left alive now.

Guest DB Cooper

What a fascinating topic. I remember when the last Spanish American War veteran died (1994) and the last Mexican veteran of the federal army in the 1910 war died (2000 I think). It's just a wakeup call to talk to any WWII vets you know...they won't be around forever.

czolgolz@yahoo.com

There were some people who served in both World Wars. Am I right in assuming none of the smattering of WW1 vets fall into this category.

If so, does anyone know when the last person in this group died?

Last Australian WWI fighter dies

The last Australian to have fought in World War I, William Allan, has died in Melbourne at the age of 106.

There was an article in the Mail on Sunday last weekend about our four survivors. I found myself wondering what they'd make of a flyer I saw recently. Near Chelmsford in Essex there is a WW1 Paintball place that models the paintball fighting on the worst that some of these guys went through.

I reckon they'd find that too bizarre to comment on.

Paintball heavy artillery could be good fun....

Create huge craters though 100 litre Emulsion Mortars in land where the water table is 2 inches below the ground.

Have the plucky stockbrokers and management consultants go 'over the top' and face a wall of wire, let fire a volley of machine gun fired match pots, forcing them to dive face first into the emulsion filled craters.

Leave to drown and then let the bodies slowly rot in the sodden soil so the next groups can have the added excitement of tripping over body parts....

It said in the BBC article that William Allan shall recieve an Australian State funeral.

Is that normal for Australian war dead or is it just because he is the last WWI survivor?

If its the latter we can perhaps expect a British State funeral for our last one (when he dies). If not, he should get Maggie's one and she can do without.

Now that is an idea Windsor, I'd sooner see my cat get a state funeral than Thatcher. Maybe a bunch of ex Yorkshire miners could organise a send off for Lady T.

It said in the BBC article that William Allan shall recieve an Australian State funeral.

Is that normal for Australian war dead or is it just because he is the last WWI survivor?

If its the latter we can perhaps expect a British State funeral for our last one (when he dies). If not, he should get Maggie's one and she can do without.

I'm sure it's because he's the last Australian WW1 vet .. it's sort of a symbolic thing (dude).

In a way I'd quite like to see Henry Allingham considered for Deathlist fame. As I'm sure most people know he's Britain's oldest man and one of the last surviving WW1 veterans (weren't they Chelsea Pensioners at one time?). I know he wasn't well known until quite recently, and therefore falls into the "Famous for Being Old" category, but he has become a celeb of sorts - he often turns up on Meridian News here in the South-East (I think he may live in Eastbourne or nearby). Not that I wish him ill of course - he seems a nice old codger - I wish he were my grandfather in a way beause he's a sort of living history.

I would prefer a state funeral being given to Britain's last WWI veteran when he dies. As for Maggie, she can definitely do without one, but I don't think that the politicians would agree. ;)

In a way I'd quite like to see Henry Allingham considered for Deathlist fame. As I'm sure most people know he's Britain's oldest man and one of the last surviving WW1 veterans (weren't they Chelsea Pensioners at one time?). I know he wasn't well known until quite recently, and therefore falls into the "Famous for Being Old" category, but he has become a celeb of sorts - he often turns up on Meridian News here in the South-East (I think he may live in Eastbourne or nearby). Not that I wish him ill of course - he seems a nice old codger - I wish he were my grandfather in a way beause he's a sort of living history.

He's also not averse to appearing in the national press, something he's done a few times of late. He's something of a media natural, always seems to have the right quote. Assuming the rules were bent/reconsidered I reckon we'd do what the Germans couldn't and see him off.

The latter would be my guess. The Returned Servicemen's League is still a strong force in Australia. ANZAC Day dawn services and the commerations in Gallipoli itself draw bigger crowds every year. The last 'Digger' to go would be a very big deal, I don't know if the same title was given to sailors. I think (my opinion only) that Gallipoli was a defining moment for Australia, public sentiment started to question the blind following of 'Mother England', no longer seeing itself as a loyal servant of the Empire. So much so that during WWII the bulk of Austrailian troops fought in the Pacific protecting Australia, rather than back to 'Flanders Field' so to speak. They really are revered over there.

Of course the cynic in me says the family agreed to it to save money on the funeral, burying people isn't cheap you know.

Apparently the term does apply to sailors, just found a good article.

Edited by Gunjaman5000

Rene Moreau, one of France's last WWI veterans has died aged 108.

:sicktherm:

I think there are now only six veterans alive worldwide.

Wow, I didn't know it was as few as that. Anyone have any details of nationalities? I imagine there are a couple of Americans, and maybe a German or two ...

Wow, I didn't know it was as few as that. Anyone have any details of nationalities? I imagine there are a couple of Americans, and maybe a German or two ...

It says here that there are five alive in Britain and one in Oz. Not sure about other countries.

Some interesting information here.

It seems that that Hermann Dörnemann fellow from Düsseldorf who died last year and was the oldest man in Germany fought in WWI, and there are a couple more still alive probably. Finding out about them isn't easy. Anyone would think the Germans weren't proud of their military history.

Anyone would think the Germans weren't proud of their military history.

Reminds me of this :sicktherm: