weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

I think it's a shame that they're suggesting a state funeral for the last one.

Just think how you'd feel if you were the family of the 2nd to last one to die.

It's a nice idea though. That's really the last link to an age when men were men and people who understood that we could use a man like herbert hoover again.

It's a nice idea though. That's really the last link to an age when men were men and people who understood that we could use a man like herbert hoover again.

Problem is they might organise a state funeral for the "last" one & then another one might turn up!

Problem is they might organise a state funeral for the "last" one & then another one might turn up!

I think it should be for the last 5 or however many that are left. Failing that they should have their funerals paid for instead of their families having to fork out the cost.

I'd be totally gutted if my great-grandad or whatever croaks it, then a couple of days later another one dies who just happened to be the last one.

Guest Martin

Instead of a state funeral for the last British survivor, wouldn't a new bank holiday be a good idea, if they want it for rememberance rather than a politicians chance to meet the queen again?

Instead of a state funeral for the last British survivor, wouldn't a new bank holiday be a good idea, if they want it for rememberance rather than a politicians chance to meet the queen again?

And what would we do on this bank holiday?

At least if there were a State funeral we would have something to watch on this bank holiday.

And what would we do on this bank holiday?

At least if there were a State funeral we would have something to watch on this bank holiday.

could always watch the James Bond movie that they always show on Bank Holidays

If they all died in the next few weeks a fitting finale would be several million Englishmen over in Europe for the World Cup suddenly producing firearms and slaughtering advancing Germans.

C'mon, let's avenge Harry Patch's mates.

Henry Allingham is finally awarded freedom of his town

I know it was posted before but the ceremony was postponed as Allingham was ill last month

I love Henry's quote from that day ""Cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women - and a good sense of humour are the reasons for my longevity , but I make sure I keep within my limitations "

What a guy - gives hope to us all!!!

I've decided to take the unusual step of removing Allingham from my DDP list in the future. He's on my team now, but come the end of the year, if he is still living, he will be dropped, as a token of respect - the same reason I don't include Harry Patch. From another point of view, the man looks like going on for a bit yet, anyway.

The other WWI veterans are fair game - they seem quite boring by comparison!!

2 more German veterans died in the last month - total is around 75. I say around as there's probably two or three on that list who can't be verified as still living.

Pardon my being a Canucklehead, but what does it mean to be given the freedom of a town?

The possession of the rights and privileges of a freeman of the city; formerly often, and now occasionally, conferred on one not a resident, as a mark of honorary distinction for public services.

I remember one person telling me that they were once listed as having the freedom of the City of London. When I looked up the priviliges, apparently they were permitted to lead their cattle over London Bridge ;)

I am lead to believe that in my hometown, York, a Freeman of the City is also entitled to shoot Scotsmen, dressed in kilts, with a crossbow if said Scotsman is within the City walls. :unsure:

The youngest survivor of WWI, a mere chick at 103, David Samuel "Tex" Little has died, back in March. So called Tex as he was from Texas. Those people from Wyoming, such wit!! :D

No news report, though, only this confirmation on the US Social Security Death Index, which is subscription only.

Ancestry Link

Wiki Entry

There are two survivors who are 104 this year, but as neither fought in the war, but are included as they were drafted into the army around that era, the youngest who served in the war is now Maurice Starkey, a Navy submariner in WWI, who will be 105 in December, if he gets that far.

Posted in the DDP thread, but William Roberts, one of the few remaining British veterans has died aged 105. Total is now around 73.

Guest Valerie O'Connor
Banshee,

I appreciate your response but I guess what really bothers me is everyone can tell you the names of surviving WWI veterans in England, Australia, and Canada, as well as other countries, but no one seems to have an exact figure or even semi-current list of U.S. WWI Veterans. As an American, this really bothers me. I guess that old soldiers never really do die, they just fade away.

With the United States currently at war, I feel it is ashame that there is no way for those of us who wish to meet or write to these living legends of "The Great War". I would love to find one who lives anywhere near me in Pennsylvania and personally thank them for their sacrifice nearly a century ago. To shake hands with someone who was there is to expereince history as close to firsthand as possible and I would consider it a great honor to do so.

WWI is almost never talked about or discussed. With no disrespect, it was completely eclipsed by WWII. Any help anyone can provide would be wonderful. Thanks!

His name is Maurice Starkey he lives in Pennsylvania. He is about 101 years old.

I saw Henry Allingham today! He was a guest at The Oval at the match between Surrey and Gloucestershire and had his photo taken on the outfield as the PA was telling spectators about him. Then he got wheeled off. Apparently he'd only been there once before - when WG Grace was playing.

Paul, Hein and others will have to work that reference out for themselves.

Guest Guest
His name is Maurice Starkey he lives in Pennsylvania. He is about 101 years old.

That would have made him somewhere between 10 and 14 years old during the Great War, so that's highly unlikely.

(googling)

He is quite young though. If he makes it till december, he'll celebrate his 105th birthday. He served on a submarine as a young lad. Were those navy-guys never checking ID's? Admitting 15 or 16 yrs old on a boat seems to be a brute way of saving space.

That would have made him somewhere between 10 and 14 years old during the Great War, so that's highly unlikely.

(googling)

He is quite young though. If he makes it till december, he'll celebrate his 105th birthday. He served on a submarine as a young lad. Were those navy-guys never checking ID's? Admitting 15 or 16 yrs old on a boat seems to be a brute way of saving space.

It's highly possible he would have been at least 14 at the time. Many WWI soldiers lied about their age wanting to do their bit to stop the advance of the Kaiser and even more so when the Russians pulled out towards the end.

(googling)

It's highly possible he would have been at least 14 at the time. Many WWI soldiers lied about their age wanting to do their bit to stop the advance of the Kaiser and even more so when the Russians pulled out towards the end.

Forgot to log in last time, and I was obviously struggling with the maths too. The 101-years old would have been 9 in 1914 and 13 in 1918, which would have made it highly unlikely that he actually served. You're right about those youngsters who were so anxious to enroll that they lied about their age, but I refuse to believe that the Americans allowed many 13-years old to enter the navy. They can't have been that stupid, can they? (Feel free to prove me wrong, Americans keep surprising me when it comes to them being stupid...)

But as I already mentioned: Maurice Starkey celebrated his 104th birthday last december, so that mystery was already solved.

(googling)

Forgot to log in last time, and I was obviously struggling with the maths too. The 101-years old would have been 9 in 1914 and 13 in 1918, which would have made it highly unlikely that he actually served. You're right about those youngsters who were so anxious to enroll that they lied about their age, but I refuse to believe that the Americans allowed many 13-years old to enter the navy. They can't have been that stupid, can they? (Feel free to prove me wrong, Americans keep surprising me when it comes to them being stupid...)

But as I already mentioned: Maurice Starkey celebrated his 104th birthday last december, so that mystery was already solved.

I doubt a 13 yr old would have made it through the screening process to enter into the navy, but quite a few 14 yr olds did enrol from both sides of the Atlantic, more so on the European front. In fact my neighbour when I lived in England, he was just 14 when he fought in the Great War, he was injured fairly early on and was sent back to England and was still young enough to do his bit when WWII was declared. He sadly died about 20 years ago.

Pardon my being a Canucklehead, but what does it mean to be given the freedom of a town?

The possession of the rights and privileges of a freeman of the city; formerly often, and now occasionally, conferred on one not a resident, as a mark of honorary distinction for public services.

I remember one person telling me that they were once listed as having the freedom of the City of London. When I looked up the priviliges, apparently they were permitted to lead their cattle over London Bridge :lol:

I am lead to believe that in my hometown, York, a Freeman of the City is also entitled to shoot Scotsmen, dressed in kilts, with a crossbow if said Scotsman is within the City walls. :D

Anyone is allowed to shoot a Scotsman here but only if said Scotsman is on Peel beach wearing a kilt

Anyone is allowed to shoot a Scotsman here but only if said Scotsman is on Peel beach wearing a kilt

On our beaches we'd like to do the same with German tourists. Unfortunately they rarely wear kilts so we just nick their towels.

regards,

Hein

On our beaches we'd like to do the same with German tourists. Unfortunately they rarely wear kilts so we just nick their towels.

regards,

Hein

The absence of a law specifically allowing us to kill people on our beaches has yet to prove an obstacle to us Scots.

Mind you, on Aberdeen beach, if you didn't get run over by the boy racers crossing the Boulevard to get there, the cold or the radiation would get you even if the violent elements didn't.

I remember one person telling me that they were once listed as having the freedom of the City of London. When I looked up the priviliges, apparently they were permitted to lead their cattle over London Bridge :lol:

I am lead to believe that in my hometown, York, a Freeman of the City is also entitled to shoot Scotsmen, dressed in kilts, with a crossbow if said Scotsman is within the City walls. :D

It also means that if he commits a capital offence (very unlikely I know) in a town he has the freedom of, he is entitled to be hanged with a silken rope.

It also means that if he commits a capital offence (very unlikely I know) in a town he has the freedom of, he is entitled to be hung with a silk rope.

We have such a thing in the Netherlands, but it's called "honorary citizenship". It's useless, but it comes with a nicely calligraphed piece of paper.

My home town has only one such honorary citizen: Sir Winston Churchill. We never had an opportunity to hang him.

regards,

Hein

It also means that if he commits a capital offence (very unlikely I know) in a town he has the freedom of, he is entitled to be hung with a silk rope.

We have such a thing in the Netherlands, but it's called "honorary citizenship". It's useless, but it comes with a nicely calligraphed piece of paper.

My home town has only one such honorary citizen: Sir Winston Churchill. We never had an opportunity to hang him.

regards,

Hein

They were very close to granting Jackie Chan the same honour, but they changed their mind. Having some lousy actor next to Sir Winston was considered a sacrilege (face it: no matter how good this JC is in martial arts and all the dangerous stunts he is doing, his acting sucks big time). Nevertheless, the dimwit was grateful to have been pictured at all, and went to Rotterdam to shoot some extravagant stunts for 'Who am I?'. He had probably been struck by a windmill, to quote some Denglish.