weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

May be a daft question, but if that figure is just GB & NI, then what about those living in what is now the Republic of Ireland?

There is one fellow though, Dan Keating, who fought in a WWI era war, that being the one for Irish Independence. Keating was shooting at the English as long ago as 1919.

Ah, yes. Oddly I landed on his Wiki article a while back while reading about Republican Sinn Fein.

I may disagree with his methods and politics, but I have to admire him for standing up for what he believes in at such a grand old age:

To this day he refuses to accept a state pension because he considers the 26-county Republic of Ireland an illegitimate state which usurped the 1916 Irish Republic. In 2002 he refused the state's standard €2,500 award to centenarians from president Mary McAleese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Keating

Oh, he's 105, by the way!

He's bound to get an obit. One for the DL perhaps?

Gladys Powers, 108, is still hanging in there as both the last surviving female vet of the war, and the last surviving Canadian vet. Its amazing how we've already lost 25 veterans this year - I am anticipating 12 or so more.

Gladys Powers, 108, is still hanging in there as both the last surviving female vet of the war, and the last surviving Canadian vet. Its amazing how we've already lost 25 veterans this year - I am anticipating 12 or so more.

Erm... not quite. Gladys Powers is a British veteran living in Canada. John Babcock, the last Canadian veteran, is a Canadian vet living in U.S.A. Confusing the matter is the fact Gladys actually holds Canadian citizenship, so she's a Canadian veteran in one sense, but given the force that she actually served in, she isn't technically.

Somewhat less confusing than that is the apparent fact that Italy lost another - Pasquale Costanzo - though I can't find the article that proves this.

And she is in my WeatherPoolMan90.

Her status is confusing, however.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs just put out a call asking for known World War I US Vets. Right now, they know of four:

John Babcock, 102, Puget Sound, WA (American who served in the Canadian Army)

Frank Buckles, 106, Charles Town, WV

Russell Coffey, 108, North Baltimore, OH

Harry Landis, 107, Sun City Center, FL

In a nice change of pace, a new Italian veteran has been discovered Enrico Garbuglia, bringing the total number of verified veterans back up to 29.

In a nice change of pace, a new Italian veteran has been discovered Enrico Garbuglia, bringing the total number of verified veterans back up to 29.

And another French one as well, Raymond Cambefort. With doubt being cast on one of the Polish veterans, the list of verified WWI veterans remains at 29.

One good thing about the deathlist.

It makes my life seem exciting! :D

Doesn't one's nation have to have actually participated in the war to be considered a veteran? Speaking of which, have you heard the one about the new Italian tank?

Doesn't one's nation have to have actually participated in the war to be considered a veteran? Speaking of which, have you heard the one about the new Italian tank?

the 5-gear tank? 1 gear forward and the other 4 in reverse?

Weren't Italy involved in WWI?

the 5-gear tank? 1 gear forward and the other 4 in reverse?

Weren't Italy involved in WWI?

a point for Phantom for solving the riddle. And on further review I was a little harsh on the Italians, who were more or less a proper participant in WW1.

More, rather than less I'd think. At least they remained on the same side for the duration, even if they came in late.

Ernest Hemingway's Farewell to Arms gives a good flavour of the Italian part in the war. They were defeated at the battle of Caparetto. They only lost 460,000 in the war so not worth talking about really.

Arrangements made for Henry's birthday!

Mr Goodwin, who will be at the celebrations, said Mr Allingham was "getting a bit slower now" but he "remained strong", and had maintained his "humour and acumen".

Good for him. Although he won't read this, I wish him well on his 111th birthday, an achievement in itself.

Arrangements made for Henry's birthday!

Mr Goodwin, who will be at the celebrations, said Mr Allingham was "getting a bit slower now" but he "remained strong", and had maintained his "humour and acumen".

Good for him. Although he won't read this, I wish him well on his 111th birthday, an achievement in itself.

Aye fair play to an old hero; and member of my CPDP team.

As Allingham boogies on, two other WWI veterans can't keep up the pace & drop - Giovanni Carta of Italy & Wilhelm Remmert of Germany.

Allingham's fame seems to shade that of Harry Patch. But Harry is 109 in 10 days time and - more to the point - he is a genuine 'Tommy' the last of his kind. The best story about Harry - as told to BBC TV - is that he was amazed to get an honourary degree a while back. The last time he'd been to the university building, he'd been helping to build it!

You sod! I was about to do that... :P

I just couldn't find the thread in time...great minds and all that!

However I was going to ask a question at the end of my post. What part did Henry Allingham play in the war if Patch is considered the last man in the trenches?

However I was going to ask a question at the end of my post. What part did Henry Allingham play in the war if Patch is considered the last man in the trenches?

:blink:

Allingham was in the air force. He's also the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland. Although Patch isn't the last global trench veteran, it must be noted, but he is the one who has talked most (fascinatingly) about it.

:blink:

Allingham was in the air force. He's also the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland. Although Patch isn't the last global trench veteran, it must be noted, but he is the one who has talked most (fascinatingly) about it.

Of course! He's one of the founding members of the RAF, how could I forget that! So he was on active duty...

So how many are left who fought in the trenches?

So how many are left who fought in the trenches?

Think it's about 4 - not really sure how much the surviving Germans were involved. Certainly Delfino Borroni was, probably two of the other Italians, but not in the trenches of France, but in Northern Italy. But a trench is a trench...

Guest Guest
Allingham's fame seems to shade that of Harry Patch. But Harry is 109 in 10 days time and - more to the point - he is a genuine 'Tommy' the last of his kind. The best story about Harry - as told to BBC TV - is that he was amazed to get an honourary degree a while back. The last time he'd been to the university building, he'd been helping to build it!

He's getting a bit of recognition now I think - http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9780747591153

He's getting a bit of recognition now I think - http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9780747591153

Don't begrdudge the man a moment of that fame. Whether a trench is a trench or not Harry's active service included manning a Lewis gun, right in the thick of it, and being close enough to see the rest of his little band killed by an air-bursting shell.

Respect to a man who can come through that and still have the life-force to see his 109th birthday. And, anyway, there's months yet to the end of the CPDP theme team.

French Veteran Louis Lagaurnadie died all the way back in October 2006, but no one had noticed until now.

Brings France total of verified veterans back down to four and the world totals to twenty-six.