Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Joan Collins reveals on Instagram that her friend movie director Max Bryer has died.

I can only find him with one entry in BFI.

Who is this mysterious Max Bryer? Any other links to the many movies he has directed?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Who is this mysterious Max Bryer? Any other links to the many movies he has directed?

He was a TV director who had already moved into production and business by 1962 (paywalled reference) who later married Joan's personal assistant. From what I can gather he might be the same Maximilian Bryer who died this week aged 98 (in her book, Collins says Max was about 15 years older than Judy Bryer, and Max celebrated his 90th birthday in 2012 on Joan's twitter). No idea what he directed, but given his age he likely falls into the ephemeral of stuff that got forgotten from the 1940s and 50s when no one was keeping records. Only other references I can find come from Joan herself on social media. So my guess? A long forgotten name from the start of Joan Collins's career, only remembered now because she kept mentioning him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

He was a TV director who had already moved into production and business by 1962 (paywalled reference) who later married Joan's personal assistant. From what I can gather he might be the same Maximilian Bryer who died this week aged 98 (in her book, Collins says Max was about 15 years older than Judy Bryer, and Max celebrated his 90th birthday in 2012 on Joan's twitter). No idea what he directed, but given his age he likely falls into the ephemeral of stuff that got forgotten from the 1940s and 50s when no one was keeping records. Only other references I can find come from Joan herself on social media. So my guess? A long forgotten name from the start of Joan Collins's career, only remembered now because she kept mentioning him.

Looking at Judy/Judith Bryers instagram, the age looks about right; the last photo of Mr. Bryer was posted October last year. She's got an IMDb entry, he hasn't.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I guess this is him

https://maxbryer.remembered.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwiftlyVague said:

Alan Metter, a film director known for his work on Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School and Sara Jessica Parker's Girls Just Want to Have Fun, dead at 77.

Back To School is easily my favorite Dangerfield film.  RIP.  

3 hours ago, SwiftlyVague said:

Alan Metter, a film director known for his work on Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School and Sarah Jessica Parker's Girls Just Want to Have Fun, dead at 77.

One of the best comedy movies.  Top 10 on any list.

William Hale, an Emmy-winning film and television director whose work includes Journey to Shiloh, S.O.S. Titanic, The Murder of Mary Phagan, and The Streets of San Francisco, dead at 88.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Joel Schumacher has died aged 80 from cancer.

Director of The Lost Boys, Batman Forever, Falling Down, Phone Booth. Also St Elmos Fire.

Ironic how he directed arguably great movies like The Lost Boys and Falling Down, and he is mainly been remembered for the piece of thrash that was Batman & Robin.

• Like 1

Today's a good day to die

1 hour ago, drol said:

Ironic how he directed arguably great movies like The Lost Boys and Falling Down, and he is mainly been remembered for the piece of thrash that was Batman & Robin.

I can't be the only one to really dislike that film can I?

35 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

If the alleged rumours around Joel and this movie are true then most definitely.

21 hours ago, the_engineer said:

If the alleged rumours around Joel and this movie are true then most definitely.

What are these allegations and rumours about Joel Schumacher and The Lost Boys film?

On 23/06/2020 at 19:16, Gooseberry Crumble said:

What are these allegations and rumours about Joel Schumacher and The Lost Boys film?

Corey Fieldman was in it. He claims that child sexual abuse is rife in Hollywood including on films he was involved in and led to Corey Haim's death (who starred alongside him in The Lost Boys). 

We'll likely never know the true extent of the truth to his claims but if Fieldman claims are to be believed it could be inferred there is a possibility somebody molested/abused him and Haim while they were making that film. (is that enough 'ifs' to keep any lawyers at DL HQ happy?) 

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:42, Handrejka said:

I don't think Corey Fieldman has much love for it. 

10 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Corey Fieldman was in it. He claims that child sexual abuse is rife in Hollywood including on films he was involved in and led to Corey Haim's death (who starred alongside him in The Lost Boys). 

We'll likely never know the true extent of the truth to his claims but if Fieldman claims are to be believed it could be inferred there is a possibility somebody molested/abused him and Haim while they were making that film. (is that enough 'ifs' to keep any lawyers at DL HQ happy?) 

Feldman actually accused Charlie Sheen of sexually abusing the then-13-year-old Haim on the set of the film Lucas, which was released in 1986 (the year before The Lost Boys).  

27 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Feldman actually accused Charlie Sheen of sexually abusing the then-13-year-old Haim on the set of the film Lucas, which was released in 1986 (the year before The Lost Boys).  

Hence the very high number of possible and probably's in my statement.  He's never explicitly said anything happened on the set of The Lost Boys so the DL lawyers are incredibly clear on not saying that.

He accused Charlie Sheen explicitly in that documentary, but has long inferred that there was a much longer and much more sustained sexual abuse campaign against him and Corey Haim across multiple films.

13 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Kelly Asbury, Director of the Academy Award-nominated Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron starring Matt Damon, died at 60 years:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/rip/rip-kelly-asbury-director-of-shrek-2-and-spirit-stallion-of-the-cimarron-193729.html

He also directed Shrek 2.

Spirit is an excellent film.

Sad to hear that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Hence the very high number of possible and probably's in my statement.  He's never explicitly said anything happened on the set of The Lost Boys so the DL lawyers are incredibly clear on not saying that.

He accused Charlie Sheen explicitly in that documentary, but has long inferred that there was a much longer and much more sustained sexual abuse campaign against him and Corey Haim across multiple films.

I don't doubt it.