Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

Hands down biggest death of 2022 so far, but still not exactly the most "household-type" name.

Come on universe, go one better...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hands down biggest death of 2022 so far, but still not exactly the most "household-type" name.

Bill Bryden biggest this side of the pond, same reason. You eirther know or don't.

Peter Bogdanovich picked in last year's DDP, probably again this year.  If so you will be needing this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-peter-bogdanovich-dead-sopranos-25875915

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is that a good thing?

Can't think of anyone aged 68/69 who would be the Bowie equivalent, and I like Midge Ure as much as the next guy...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Is that a good thing?

Not sure

25 minutes ago, msc said:

Can't think of anyone aged 68/69 who would be the Bowie equivalent, and I like Midge Ure as much as the next guy...

At a quick glance of celebrity  births in 1952 and 1953 the biggest names from showbiz seem to me  to be

Sharon Osborne 

Liam Neeson 

Nile Rodgers 

David Hasselhoff

Cyndi Lauper 

Chaka Khan 

Tom Hanks 

Kim Basigner 

I don't think generally any of those would be as big a deal or as big a  shock  as David Bowies death but me personally   Chaka Khan, Cyndi Lauper or to a lesser extent  Sharon Osborne  dying would be pretty big and would resonate.

Peter Bogdanovitch would have been big news if he'd died around 1974, when he was riding on a string of hit movies. But his success was mixed up with a very specific moment, when old-fashioned movies could appeal to a vogue for nostalgia for twenties and Depression-era America, what might be called Great Gatsby chic. Inevitably things moved on, and he made two or three films which failed badly, and was never as big again.

34 minutes ago, msc said:

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

At a quick glance of celebrity  births in 1952 and 1953 the biggest names from showbiz seem to me  to be

Sharon Osborne 

Liam Neeson 

Nile Rodgers 

David Hasselhoff

Cyndi Lauper 

Chaka Khan 

Tom Hanks 

Kim Basigner 

I don't think generally any of those would be as big a deal or as big a  shock  as David Bowies death but me personally   Chaka Khan, Cyndi Lauper or to a lesser extent  Sharon Osborne  dying would be pretty big and would resonate.

Why do they need to be the same age? Surely the effect is the same if they are big or beloved enough, and not ancient.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Sharon Osborne 

Liam Neeson 

Nile Rodgers 

David Hasselhoff

Cyndi Lauper 

Chaka Khan 

Tom Hanks 

Kim Basigner 

Oh of course I know someone aged 69 whose sudden death would change everything in a year. Putin. Not predicting it, mind you, despite the non-Gorbachev Russian leaders tending to peace out around their 70s.

Uncanny, @Toast, I was about to put a "of course they needn't be that age" bit on this but didn't, then seconds later...

Just now, Toast said:

Why do they need to be the same age? Surely the effect is the same if they are big or beloved enough, and not ancient.

I was merely taking my cue from MSC. 

Yes of course now you mention any big death could be the equivalent  eg Liza  Minnelli,  Paul McCartney, Justin Bieber etc

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh of course I know someone aged 69 whose sudden death would change everything in a year. Putin. Not predicting it, mind you, despite the non-Gorbachev Russian leaders tending to peace out around their 70s.

Uncanny, @Toast, I was about to put a "of course they needn't be that age" bit on this but didn't, then seconds later...

Putin yes and in terms of provoking interesting and colourful commentary , reaction and discussion  -Harvey Weinstein.

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I was merely taking my cue from MSC. 

Yes of course now you mention any big death could be the equivalent  eg Liza  Minnelli,  Paul McCartney, Justin Bieber etc

Liza has been frail looking for a long while so I don’t think her death would be shocking for anyone. Paul McCartney is almost at the age thst his death would no longer be able to be shocking. 

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Liza has been frail looking for a long while so I don’t think her death would be shocking for anyone. Paul McCartney is almost at the age thst his death would no longer be able to be shocking. 

Mmm  I'm not so sure. I think when The Queen dies for instance it will strangely  feel like a shock for  many despite her advanced age. 

I also suspect a number of my older gay friends  will have a mini meltdown and what the heck moment when Liza dies despite her known frailty. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Mmm  I'm not so sure. I think when The Queen dies for instance it will strangely  feel like a shock for  many despite her advanced age. 

I also suspect a number of my older gay friends  will have a mini meltdown and what the heck moment when Liza dies despite her known frailty. 

I think the Queen is the rare exemption but as her health is clearly declining even she won’t be that shocking anymore. 

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

For more evidence, he's lived a long, happy and lengthy life with hopefully more to come, but just look how much of a meltdown many in the UK will have when Mr Cribbins is no more.

General public affection/love always trumps age/expectation in these matters, as it should.

• Like 3

Just now, The Old Crem said:

I think the Queen is the rare exemption but as her health is clearly declining even she won’t be that shocking anymore. 

I think as with Bowie it's shock  working in tandem with other emotions as you try to absorb the news.  I think it's just as much about them being a big or iconic name as it is shock.  To some extent it's about  absorbing or digesting  news that was unexpected and in another sense its about absorbing  news you don't want to be true. 

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

For more evidence, he's lived a long, happy and lengthy life with hopefully more to come, but just look how much of a meltdown many in the UK will have when Mr Cribbins is no more.

General public affection/love always trumps age/expectation in these matters, as it should.

Yes your right and have either added to my point or explained my point better  than I did!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

emily-thornberry-well-there-we-are.gif.ab86fa7f1c024ec92ab2583ea8e29185.gif

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yep, still feeling those 2016 vibes.

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

For the record I am never doubting a @Gooseberry Crumble prediction on here again. :o

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, msc said:

For the record I am never doubting a @Gooseberry Crumble prediction on here again. :o

I like the cut of your jib!

But in that case I have no doubt you are relieved that you won't have the responsibility of writing the endless   biographies of the deceased on the DDP!

@Death Impends @gcreptile keep your marigold gloves handy because the toilet  bowl is going to need a lot of attention this year and keep you very busy!:lol:

22 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Sharon Osborne 

Liam Neeson 

Nile Rodgers 

David Hasselhoff

Cyndi Lauper 

Chaka Khan 

Tom Hanks 

Kim Basigner 

Dan Aykroyd is that range and should qualify.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Hemlock said:

Dan Aykroyd is that range and should qualify.

Oh definitely! Love it or loathe it the original Ghostbusters is a culturally  significant  iconic  film synonymous with the 1980s. 

48 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I like the cut of your jib!

But in that case I have no doubt you are relieved that you won't have the responsibility of writing the endless   biographies of the deceased on the DDP!

@Death Impends @gcreptile keep your marigold gloves handy because the toilet  bowl is going to need a lot of attention this year and keep you very busy!:lol:

We might have to have an emergency committee meeting to permit DDPers to pick famous cockroaches if you have your way. Won't be enough human celebs left!

• Haha 2

Lee Grant from In the Heath of the Night is cranky old now. Wouldn't surprise me as a "sudden" death.