Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

Joanna Barnes, writer and actress, most remembered for her role of Gloria Upson in Auntie Mame, in TV & film a career lasting over 40 years, has died aged 87. She appeared in both the original The Parent Trap (1961) and the 1998 remake. She also played Jane opposite Denny Miller's Tarzan in Tarzan, The Ape Man (1959), the 13th actress to take the role. On TV she appeared in many programmes - Maverick, HAve Gun Will Travel, Alias Smith * Jones, Cheers, Hart to Hart - from 1956 until 2000.

As well as acting, she wrote several novels and a book about home decorating.

• Like 2

David Birney, US actor in St. Elsewhere and on the sitcom Bridget Loves Bernie, dead of Alzheimer's at 83:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/david-birney-dead-actor-bridget-loves-bernie-83-1235139638/

Picked by the DDP theme team "Saints Elsewhere"

Edit: QO:https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/celebrities/18447146/david-birney-cause-of-death/

• Like 7

On 07/01/2022 at 18:46, drol said:

Lee Grant from In the Heath of the Night is cranky old now. Wouldn't surprise me as a "sudden" death.

Very old, but obviously still quite well according to a new interview: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/06/name-names-never-never-never-lee-grant-on-her-decades-of-defiance

Although a sudden death can always happen at 95.

• Like 2

American actor James Olson (Wikireported dead at 91

He starred alongside Joanne Woodward in the Academy Award-nominated Best Picture Rachel, Rachel in 1968. He made numerous stage, feature film, and TV appearances from the mid-1950s until 1990, when he retired.

On television, Olson portrayed Mickey Mantle in The Life of Mickey Mantle. His other TV appearances included guest roles on scores of shows, including episodes of Kraft Television Theatre; Ironside; Murder, She Wrote; Little House on the Prairie; Hawaii Five-O; Battlestar Galactica; Lou Grant; The Bionic Woman; Wonder Woman; Mannix; Bonanza; Have Gun-Will Travel; Marcus Welby, M.D.; Police Woman; Barnaby Jones; The New Land; Columbo; Maude; The Virginian; and The Streets of San Francisco.

James Olson – Movies, Bio and Lists on MUBI

• Like 2

. Prolific character actor Jack Kehler whose credits include the Dude's landlord in "The Big Lebowski" felled by leukemia at 75.

7 hours ago, jcc said:

. Prolific character actor Jack Kehler whose credits include the Dude's landlord in "The Big Lebowski" felled by leukemia at 75.

Jack Kehler was in Star Trek: DS9 - hey a Scavvy Hunt miss. 

Could equally have gone in the much underused Babylon 5 thread. :lol:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Jack Kehler was in Star Trek: DS9 - hey a Scavvy Hunt miss. 

Could equally have gone in the much underused Babylon 5 thread. :lol:

Yeah but you ever seen how many episodes of Star Trek there is? Millions! Everyone was in them. Hell, I'm sure even @Bibliogryphon had a 3 episode run in the mid 90s!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah but you ever seen how many episodes of Star Trek there is? Millions! Everyone was in them. Hell, I'm sure even @Bibliogryphon had a 3 episode run in the mid 90s!

The American Z-Cars.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, msc said:

A traitorous but handsome Bajoran Doctor :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/05/2022 at 08:30, Gisooo said:

American actor James Olson (Wikireported dead at 91

He starred alongside Joanne Woodward in the Academy Award-nominated Best Picture Rachel, Rachel in 1968. He made numerous stage, feature film, and TV appearances from the mid-1950s until 1990, when he retired.

On television, Olson portrayed Mickey Mantle in The Life of Mickey Mantle. His other TV appearances included guest roles on scores of shows, including episodes of Kraft Television Theatre; Ironside; Murder, She Wrote; Little House on the Prairie; Hawaii Five-O; Battlestar Galactica; Lou Grant; The Bionic Woman; Wonder Woman; Mannix; Bonanza; Have Gun-Will Travel; Marcus Welby, M.D.; Police Woman; Barnaby Jones; The New Land; Columbo; Maude; The Virginian; and The Streets of San Francisco.

James Olson – Movies, Bio and Lists on MUBI

I couldn't place where I'd seen his face before, so I looked it up, and for me, I remembered seeing him in the Schwarzenegger flick Commando.  

June Preston, classic Hollywood child actress and opera performer dead at 93 

She was known for her roles in Anne of Green Gables, Heaven Can Wait, The Strawberry Blonde and The Devil and the Daniel Monster

Hollywood Reporter Obit

df2776073bb2c2c473f58719abce6805.jpg.4177a7365a98e46e5c311f9788ca377a.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SwiftlyVague said:

The SAG-AFTRA magazine's Spring 2022 Edition has been published online for those who are interested.

https://digital.copcomm.com/i/1467606-spring-2022/0?

Skip to the "In Memoriam" section here:

https://digital.copcomm.com/i/1467606-spring-2022/89?

I'm going through the whole list at the moment.

The first name that stands out is actress Barbara Collentine (IMDb). Widow of actor Richard Bull (who died in 2014, aged 89) and mentioned in the Detective thread before.

869214716_MV5BN2ExMzQ4MDItNTU3NS00YmQwLWIwZjAtZjAyMGUyOTZkZWI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTA4NDY2Mw@@._V1_UX180_CR00180180_AL_.jpg.0f10a90aeb702f6a9ad7705c641e62bf.jpg

She died on March 10, 2022, aged 97.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only other previously unreported name on the list appears to be Italian-born model and actress Tina Scala (wiki), who died in Las Vegas on January 10, 2022, aged 86.

Had minor roles in Capone and Midnight Cowboy. Actress and model Gia Scala (1934–1972) was her sister. She died from a barbiturate overdose.

Unknown.jpeg.25d9d0d7f22c25083472c090d92f6fba.jpeg

That appears to be it. The Spring/Summer edition of Equity magazine will be out in a few days time. That should be more interesting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The only other previously unreported name on the list appears to be Italian-born model and actress Tina Scala (wiki), who died in Las Vegas on January 10, 2022, aged 86.

Had minor roles in Capone and Midnight Cowboy. Actress and model Gia Scala (1934–1972) was her sister. She died from a barbiturate overdose.

Unknown.jpeg.25d9d0d7f22c25083472c090d92f6fba.jpeg

That appears to be it. The Spring/Summer edition of Equity magazine will be out in a few days time. That should be more interesting.

Before SAG AFRTA, a obituary for her, published at her death date

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

John Aylward, a veteran actor with dozens of roles to his credit, but perhaps best known as Dr. Donald Anspaugh in ER, has died. He was 75.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/entertainment/john-aylward-dead/index.html

An ER regular, he was in it for years.

John_Aylward-Deezer_D-ER-(1994).jpg?itok=Ui4ZS4HD

Also had a recurring role in The West Wing as the DNC chair, a spot in one of the last original X-Files episodes (about an evil Brady Bunch house, it's crap but he's good in it),  and more recent roles in Yellowstone, Fringe and American Horror Story. He was also in 2010's zombie flick The Crazies, as the true to life Mayor who refuses to quarantine his town as shit breaks down.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

John Aylward, a veteran actor with dozens of roles to his credit, but perhaps best known as Dr. Donald Anspaugh in ER, has died. He was 75.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/entertainment/john-aylward-dead/index.html

Terrible news. 

A few months ago I got recommended on youtube a video of him participating in an one-hour podcast/interview (September 2021) talked about his roles on tv, in films and especially his role as Dr. Arne Magnusson in video game Half-Life 2: Episode Two (2007) he was sharp, didn't sound weak and could still read his lines from that game , still working and I can't say he looked great but I would've said he probably won't go during the next five years.

• Like 2

According to SAG AFTRA Magazine, actress Laurinda Barrett (IMDb) dead at 90.

She played the mother of Sandra Locke (Mick) in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968). Both actresses now are dead.

I submitted this in IMDb and as always they did not accept it even though it was SAG :facepalm:

Laurinda Barrett — The Movie Database (TMDB)     Wrong Man, The (1956)

22 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

According to SAG AFTRA Magazine, actress Laurinda Barrett (IMDb) dead at 90.

She played the mother of Sandra Locke (Mick) in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968). Both actresses now are dead.

I submitted this in IMDb and as always they did not accept it even though it was SAG :facepalm:

Laurinda Barrett — The Movie Database (TMDB)     Wrong Man, The (1956)

SAG-AFTRA have spelt her surname wrong, which won't help with the IMDb update.