Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

Yet another cult actor born in the 20s gone.

Earl Holliman and James Hong remain. Hong will live past 100, Holliman may be a good punt for next year.

26 minutes ago, drol said:

Earl Holliman and James Hong remain. Hong will live past 100, Holliman may be a good punt for next year.

Will be proper end of an era stuff when Earl Holliman goes, as the star of the first Twilight Zone episode. (Yes, I know there was pilot filmed a year before, it doesn't count.)

He also shagged Jane Fonda, so some DDPers might fancy a two for one deal next year.

49 minutes ago, drol said:

Paul Dooley is another one from the 20s to watch. I would not bet on him going this year but 2023 is a possibility. His voice as Sarge was strangely absent in the recent Cars: On the Road series, this could be a warning sign but then he is 94. Michael Wallis’ voice as Sheriff was also unexplainably absent from this recent show. Younger seniors like Cheech Marin and Tony Shalhoub reprised their roles however.

The last time I saw Paul Dooley was in a  2020 short film called The Gesture And The Word which was James Michael Tyler's last acting role. TBH I didn't think that Dooley looked like a man in his his nineties I would have guessed mid eighties so I'd say he has a few years left in him yet.

3 hours ago, msc said:

Will be proper end of an era stuff when Earl Holliman goes, as the star of the first Twilight Zone episode. (Yes, I know there was pilot filmed a year before, it doesn't count.)

He also shagged Jane Fonda, so some DDPers might fancy a two for one deal next year.

Do you mean he  shagged Jane Fonda onscreen in a role or in real life?

15 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Do you mean he  shagged Jane Fonda onscreen in a role or in real life?

Real life, they were a couple in the 1960s.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Lucky Gal. Earl Holliman was hot.

I'd say he was a lucky guy as he shagged Dolores Hart before she wasted herself as a nun!

• Haha 1

Earl Holliman, mad shagger, apparently.

That'll be @Gooseberry Crumbleswooning now.

• Like 1

Dooley is on Cameo and looks and sounds nowhere near 94. He also indicated in an AV Club interview he plans to see 100. Of course impossible to predict, but he and Hong seem like some of the strongest centenarian candidates of the living 1920s male actors, especially given that they're still regularly working.

Holliman stopped signing fan mail in early 2021 due to age. That was nearly two years ago by now, a fair amount of time given what that usually implies. Agree that he could be a good punt for 2023.

• Like 3

William Daniels is still doing fine too.

3 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Barry Newman (83) is worryingly quiet these days...

Well, he's also clearly several years older than 83. He graduated from high school in 1948 and was childhood friends with Leonard Nimoy. I went source-hunting for this for his Wiki page a while ago and couldn't come up with anything, but he's more likely in his early 90s.

2 minutes ago, tracy said:

Well, he's also clearly several years older than 83. He graduated from high school in 1948 and was childhood friends with Leonard Nimoy. I went source-hunting for this for his Wiki page a while ago and couldn't come up with anything, but he's more likely in his early 90s.

What do you mean? Of course he was born in 1938. Obviously he graduated high school at the age of 10. What a smart guy.

5 hours ago, tracy said:

Found 1931 for Newman.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=vaneBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA399&lpg=PA399&dq=barry+newman+1931+actor&source=bl&ots=ANsP2IJNvk&sig=ACfU3U2LwzFL8yoKMkzke4CeF6C5BJMJIg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF2LPr7Z36AhWRxjgGHT_jALIQ6AF6BAhUEAI#v=onepage&q=barry newman 1931 actor&f=false

Louise Fletcher, who won an Oscar as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nestdead at 88.

• Like 8
  • Sad 5

36 minutes ago, tracy said:

Louise Fletcher, who won an Oscar as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nestdead at 88.

R.I.P. to one of the most greatest villain actresses ever

• Like 3

On 17/09/2022 at 05:06, drol said:

Speaking of Holliman, I came across this fact when recently going through IMDB. The four main actors from the American TV series 'Police Woman', which ran from 1974 to 1978, are all still alive. Holliman, Angie Dickinson, as well as Charles Dierkop and Ed Bernard continue to be among the living.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tracy said:

Too bad :(

I kinda liked her and loved her role as Peg Gallagher in Shameless. I would have liked to have seen her there longer, but she was smothered by Sheila.

Thought it was time to look at who's still around from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975):

Jack Nicholson (b. 1937) R.P. McMurphy
Louise Fletcher (1934–2022) Nurse Ratched
Will Sampson (1933–1987) Chief
William Redfield (1927–1976) Dale Harding

Brad Dourif (b. 1950) Billy Bibbit
Sydney Lassick (1922–2003) Charlie Cheswick
Christopher Lloyd (b. 1938) Max Taber
Danny DeVito (b. 1944) Martini

Dean Brooks (1916–2013) Dr. John Spivey
William Duell (1923–2011) Jim Sefelt
Vincent Schiavelli (1948–2005) Bruce Frederickson

Michael Berryman (b. 1948) Ellis
Alonzo Brown (b. 19??) Attendant Miller – the only one of the credited cast I can't confirm is alive. Last credit was in 1994.
Mwako Cumbuka (b. 1950) Attendant Warren
Nathan George (1936–2017) Attendant Washington
Marya Small (b. 1942) Candy
Scatman Crothers (1910–1986) Night Guard Turkle
Phil Roth (1930–2002) Woolsey
Louisa Moritz (1936–2019) Rose
Peter Brocco (1903–1992) Col. Matterson
Delos V. Smith Jr. (1906–1997) Scanlon
Josip Elic (1921–2019) Bancini

Mimi Sarkisian (b. 1951) Nurse Pilbow
Ted Markland (1933–2011) Hap Arlich

Nicholson has long since retired and is now somewhat of a recluse so it's difficult to judge how well he is. He's been seen in a wheelchair, is very overweight and has been rumoured to have been suffering from the early onset of dementia. 

Dourif, Lloyd, DeVito and Berryman are all still very active. Berryman does a lot of convention appearances. He seems very mobile, sounds good, but is looking his age.

Marya Small (now acting under the name of Mews Small) is somewhat active, acting in a series in 2022. Cumbuka appears to have briefly come out of retirement in 2021 to play a role in a low budget film. Sarkisian only ever had two minor roles, but still shows up in the residency records, living in California.

Nicholson will likely be next to go. If not him then a long shot would be DeVito, Berryman or Lloyd, if only for their age/physical condition.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Book said:

Too bad :(

I kinda liked her and loved her role as Peg Gallagher in Shameless. I would have liked to have seen her there longer, but she was smothered by Sheila.

She will always be Agnes Carpenter to me.

English-American film and television actress Venetia Stevenson died at 84 year:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/venetia-stevenson-dead-darbys-rangers-photogenic-girl-1235228156/

Her ex-husbands included actor-dancer Russ Tamblyn and Don Everly of the early rock n' roll duo The Everly Brothers.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Perhaps best known to our Scottish readers as the face on Tennent's Sweetheart Stout

Tennents-Sweetheart-Stout-500ml-Scottish

8 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

English-American film and television actress Venetia Stevenson died at 84 year:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/venetia-stevenson-dead-darbys-rangers-photogenic-girl-1235228156/

Her ex-husbands included actor-dancer Russ Tamblyn and Don Everly of the early rock n' roll duo The Everly Brothers.

Also daughter of film director, Robert Stevenson, famous for directing many Disney films including Mary Poppins.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 20:25, ajlposh said:

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Valerie Perrine, who is battling Parkinson’s

Additional information Here. There's a interview where a friend of hers talks about it and at one point they play an audio clip of her talking. She sounds really frail. Also according to that page she's been bedridden since 2019.

• Like 1