Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

My only shock is in the fact that she had a secret cancer battle.

I'm not actually surprised that she didn't live to a ripe old age. In interviews Alley was very flippant about her health. "I don't care if I get fat". "I'll do/eat what I want" etc.

I'd be interested to see what form of cancer she had. No doubt something which could've been avoided with a little due diligence.

Fat_actress.jpg.3e38ddada63c5cff820c8930b3285e30.jpg

• Like 2

0872160298d9178a37c2aa2b731647c5.thumb.jpg.bff70f83c351c078bdfb8ae8f6256ca9.jpg

Last known public appearance (Sep 8, 2022).

Pretty shocking and unexpected but judging by her last photos, she probably wouldn't have seen 80 or at least that's what I feel.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'd be interested to see what form of cancer she had. No doubt something which could've been avoided with a little due diligence.

Was she still in Scientology? They don't have the best record when it comes to healing cancer.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Was she still in Scientology? They don't have the best record when it comes to healing cancer.

I think so.

Nancy Cartwright who does Bart Simpson's voice is still in it too I believe.

Looking at the Cheers cast list and didn't realise that Frances Sternhagen (Cliffs mother) is still alive and will be 93 next month.

Maybe a possibility for future lists.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, openviews said:

Looking at the Cheers cast list and didn't realise that Frances Sternhagen (Cliffs mother) is still alive and will be 93 next month.

Maybe a possibility for future lists.

My wife is currently going through the whole thing on All 4

It has had a surprisingly good survival rate after losing Coach in series 4 all the main cast are still alive - until yesterday

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It has had a surprisingly good survival rate after losing Coach in series 4 all the main cast are still alive - until yesterday

Even Norm is still with us!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

0872160298d9178a37c2aa2b731647c5.thumb.jpg.bff70f83c351c078bdfb8ae8f6256ca9.jpg

Last known public appearance (Sep 8, 2022).

Pretty shocking and unexpected but judging by her last photos, she probably wouldn't have seen 80 or at least that's what I feel.

Bollocks.  She looked great for 71.  She certainly doesn't look like she'd be dead of cancer in three months.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I actually thought that this morning, was going to post if nobody else had mentioned it. Impressive she's the first to go, nearly 30 years after it finished. I was even going to say...

1 hour ago, msc said:

Even Norm is still with us!

...she's even gone before George Wendt! :lol: Great minds, etc. etc.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I actually thought that this morning, was going to post if nobody else had mentioned it. Impressive she's the first to go, nearly 30 years after it finished. I was even going to say...

...she's even gone before George Wendt! :lol: Great minds, etc. etc.

I like George Wendt though, so I'm glad. Good sitcom actor.

Not so good Columbo murderer, mind you, but we can't have it all!

PS He feels like a future DL front pager sooner than later, in the Eddie Large style of picks.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, msc said:

I like George Wendt though, so I'm glad. Good sitcom actor.

Not so good Columbo murderer, mind you, but we can't have it all!

PS He feels like a future DL front pager sooner than later, in the Eddie Large style of picks.

Agreed, feels very Deathlisty, as the Mary Tyler Moore Show era fades. 3 years old than Alley at 74, and bigger than he was when he was on Cheers...and he's always been big (a la Robbie Coltrane - although he had well known ailments prior to passing).

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Agreed. People have wild expectations of celebrities - how many 71 year olds look that good? 

All the ones Who use botox ? 

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

My only shock is in the fact that she had a secret cancer battle.

I'm not actually surprised that she didn't live to a ripe old age. In interviews Alley was very flippant about her health. "I don't care if I get fat". "I'll do/eat what I want" etc.

Fat_actress.jpg.3e38ddada63c5cff820c8930b3285e30.jpg

Colon Cancer

• Thanks 1

I had to block Kirstie Alley because she was a raging Trump supporter. That and a Scientologist. She was tweeting up until two weeks ago and was even promoting her Cameo to fans on Instagram in the last 12 weeks.

I’ve seen her everywhere in the News in the past 24 hours but never heard of her before. Maybe I’m too young ? I was born in 1998 so… 

was she as famous as Olivia Newton John ?

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

I’ve seen her everywhere in the News in the past 24 hours but never heard of her before. Maybe I’m too young ? I was born in 1998 so… 

was she as famous as Olivia Newton John ?

No nowhere near but she was very famous.

• Like 2

She was in Cheers and quite a few films in the 80s and 90s.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sean said:

She was in Cheers and quite a few films in the 80s and 90s.

Yeah, I think while Newton John was quite intergenerational, Alley wasn’t that much was she ?  

Not as much.I was born in 1994 but watched Cheers growing up and like older films.She was still in the news however and still had a public profile and was in celebrity big brother a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yeah, I think while Newton John was quite intergenerational, Alley wasn’t that much was she ?  

She was the main actress on the biggest American sitcom of the eighties. But she never really kept that stardom level, turning down roles due to her Scientology beliefs. She was the only major Cheers star not to make an appearance in Frasier, due to real life heat between her and Kelsey Grammer. 

• Like 4

Olivia Newton John was iconic due to Grease and a highly successful singing career.Alley was at the other end of A list.Renowned notable and very recognisable but not iconic by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 4

Isn't this what this Forum can be about?

If there is stuff you don't know about, maybe the death of a person will encourage you to watch or listen to their work, read a book by them, or whatever.

I, on the other hand, was brought up in a house where our knowledge was extended by our folks' love of stuff dating right back to music hall. We knew what films to appreciate, even if they were dreadful. So I have the opposite problem...a lot of stuff these days passes me by. I'd probably say for at least the past 15 years I would barely know one popular choon from another, never mind identify who sang it...or even talked over a backing track, such is the way of things.

And who are these bright young things in Heartstopper, or Waterloo Road, or on the Tikkity Tok or Insta-satisfaction? I just don't know. Do I care to find out? Not really, whenever I try, it's never as good because it is instant fame, it doesn't seem worked for. And it shows in the end product. Imo.

• Like 7