Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

On 26/11/2022 at 05:47, Gisooo said:

God, what was her cause of death? Can't believe I'm listening Flashdance every day, so sad, what a voice. RIP

Irene Cara cause of death determined to be high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/02/02/flashdance-fame-singer-irene-cara-died-death-cause-high-blood-pressure-cholesterol/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Melinda Dillon of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf/A Christmas Story/Close Encounters dead at 83.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, tracy said:

Melinda Dillon of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf/A Christmas Story/Close Encounters dead at 83.

DDP pick thanks to the Christmas theme team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tracy said:

I know her best from Right of Way where she more than held her own against two greats in Bette Davis and James Stewart. RIP.

1 hour ago, tracy said:

News coverage is surprisingly low given the fact she's an Oscar nominee...

• Like 1

In the double "Streets of San Francisco" episode of The Thrill Killers, ten of the twelve great Hollywood actors who play the jury that gets kidnapped, have now died. James Hong (93) and Tina Chen (79) are the last survivors and good ones to keep an eye on for future years.

The jury is made up of:

Irene Tedrow (1907-1995)

Barry Sullivan (1912-1994)

Jan Clayton (1917-1983)

Joseph Wiseman (1918-2009)

Norman Fell (1924-1998)

Doris Roberts (1925-2016)

Dick Van Patten (1928-2015)

James Hong (1929-present)

Jim McMullan (1936-2019)

Paula Kelly (1942-2020)

Tina Chen (1943-present)

Edith Diaz (1949-2009)

I remember first coming across this list in 2016, just before Roberts died, thinking Hong would have a hard time living out the rest of the survivors. But now it looks like he might after all!

On 02/02/2023 at 08:32, Ulitzer95 said:

George R. Robertson (wiki), Canadian actor who played Commissioner Henry Hurst in 6 of the Police Academy films, dead at 89.

Legacy obit

30409-15041.jpg.1ddcdc358b9a76feac9762cb1b9832f6.jpg

Getting lots of Q/O’s now. (I know he has never been picked on the DDP). 
Mail Mirror Daily Star

Actor Robert Crayton (IMDb) who had minor roles in a fair number of films including Marvel's Ant-Man killed himself along with his wife and three children back on January 7th. 

• Shocked 2

2 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Actor Robert Crayton (IMDb) who had minor roles in a fair number of films including Marvel's Ant-Man killed himself along with his wife and three children back on January 7th. 

Intriguing.  Did the "man and woman" escape, or did they end up among the victims?  Unclear.  If they did escape, surely they could throw some light on the motive, or at least give some context.

Police went to the Crayton home in a neighborhood east of Oak Hollow Lake about 7 a.m. Saturday after a man and woman ran from house to house asking for help because the man's father threatened to shoot him and others in the family.

On Monday during a press briefing, the High Point Police Department identified those killed as Robert Crayton's wife, Athalia A. Crayton, 46, 18-year-old son Kasim Crayton and two other children, 16 and 10, whose names weren't released ......

Investigators haven't determined a motive for the murder-suicide and say they might never pinpoint one

Chariots of Fire director Hugh Hudson dead at 86.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, tracy said:

Telegraph obit.

A unique hit in the DDP for "Diana Rots" (charming).

39 minutes ago, tracy said:

I don't think I ever saw the movie but I probably will see it now.

1 hour ago, tracy said:

I LITERALLY watched Chariots of Fire for the first time two nights ago!

• Like 1

Amazing how so many actresses of the Golden Age of Hollywood are still holding on. Nearly all the Hitchcock Blondes are still alive (Eva Marie Saint, Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, Vera Miles, Julie Andrews, Brigitte Auber, Barbara Leigh-Hunt etc.) ! The only main one that isn't still with us that comes to mind is Grace Kelly, and she died of unnatural causes! And then there is additional female Hollywood greats from the 1950s and 1960s who just keep going: Joanne Woodward, Angie Dickinson, Glynis Johns, Shirley Jones, Estelle Parsons, Lee Grant, Rita Moreno, Carroll Baker etc. Nearly all the main James Bond actresses and actresses from the early Herbie movies and Pink Panther movies are still alive as well!

Yet, almost all the men from the Golden Age of Hollywood have long been dead. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Yet, almost all the men from the Golden Age of Hollywood have long been dead. 

I think one thing to keep in mind is that the men of the Golden Age were generally older than their female costars that they were paired with.

• Like 6

It depends on what one considered the Golden Age of Hollywood, I suppose. I see it as something that was done by 1960 and when I think of female stars, I think of the likes of Lauren Bacall, Grace Kelly, Vivien Leigh, Rita Hayworth, Ginger Rogers, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner etc - all long gone and all at their peak before the mid-1950s. Glynis Johns didn't star in American films until the mid-late 1950s and the likes of Moreno and Loren were at their most famous in the 60s. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

It depends on what one considered the Golden Age of Hollywood, I suppose. I see it as something that was done by 1960 and when I think of female stars, I think of the likes of Lauren Bacall, Grace Kelly, Vivien Leigh, Rita Hayworth, Ginger Rogers, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner etc - all long gone and all at their peak before the mid-1950s. Glynis Johns didn't star in American films until the mid-late 1950s and the likes of Moreno and Loren were at their most famous in the 60s. 

Correct. Also most of the biggest female stars of the Golden era are dead. Loren (and perhaps Moreno) are the only really big names of that era left. All the men are dead. The fame level of the other remaining women is perhaps a little distorted for us because we talk about them proportionally more for deadpooling purposes but the likes of Hedren, Marie Saint, Glynis Johns were never “stars” like Vivien Leigh, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Joan Crawford etc. Different levels.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Correct. Also most of the biggest female stars of the Golden era are dead. Loren (and perhaps Moreno) are the only really big names of that era left. All the men are dead. The fame level of the other remaining women is perhaps a little distorted for us because we talk about them proportionally more for deadpooling purposes but the likes of Hedren, Marie Saint, Glynis Johns were never “stars” like Vivien Leigh, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Joan Crawford etc. Different levels.

Yes but because Bette, Katherine, Joan, Vivien are more older than Saint, Johns and Hedren. Born 190? and 191?. Except Grace she was born 1929 and died in 1982, so young. She would have been like Terry Moore and Vera Miles today at 93

2 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Yes but because Bette, Katherine, Joan, Vivien are more older than Saint, Johns and Hedren. Born 190? and 191?. Except Grace she was born 1929 and died in 1982, so young. She would be like Terry Moore and Vera Miles today at 93

Grace Kelly was a hell of a lot more famous than Moore or Miles.

• Like 1

I think the last  great leading man of the Golden Age of Hollywood was Sidney Poitier.I am sure arguments can be made others are still knocking about from one or 2 films but he was the last major male figure from that era.Kirk Douglas was the second.

• Like 2

Glynis was more of a character actress than a star. Which is not to be detrimental to her at all, far from it. The Golden Age seems to shift decades to keep going, as a concept though.

Vera Miles also didn't have the career of Grace Kelly - she was punished by the studio systems for not playing the game. Amusingly, that meant she got the role of the sister in Psycho instead of Janet Leigh's part but imo, the sister is a better role (if less famous!).

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd agree about the concept shifting decades. I guess this is probably well-known in these parts but Sophia Loren is the only one still living from the American Film Institute's 1999 list of 100 Years... 100 Stars. The honorees on that were defined as "an actor with a significant screen presence in American feature-length films whose screen debut occurred in or before 1950, or whose screen debut occurred after 1950 but whose death has marked a completed body of work", so Loren was an outlier on it anyway - her screen debut was in 1950. It would certainly appear that the definition has shifted.

Leslie Caron is arguably of the same fame level as Eva Marie Saint and Joanna Woodward. Leslie Caron is really the last leading lady of a Golden Age MGM musical. 

• Like 3