Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Leslie Caron is arguably of the same fame level as Eva Marie Saint and Joanna Woodward. Leslie Caron is really the last leading lady of a Golden Age MGM musical. 

agree for Leslie Caron. I would probably add Shirley MacLaine to this list. And Kim Novac too. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think the last  great leading man of the Golden Age of Hollywood was Sidney Poitier.

Some sites (Wiki and/or IMDB if I remember correctly) considered Dean Stockwell as the last man of that era.

They had made a list of Hollywood Golden Age survivors and he was the only male.

9 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Some sites (Wiki and/or IMDB if I remember correctly) considered Dean Stockwell as the last man of that era.

They had made a list of Hollywood Golden Age survivors and he was the only male.

But, Dean Stockwell died before Sidney Poitier.

It's all a bit pointless to me? If folk like de Havilland or Poitier or Lansbury are loved, and they were, does it matter which Golden Generation of film they belonged to? Especially folk who seemed to have long careers you can't really pigeonhole as being in one era.

Imagine the same in 50 years when Hanks, Pitt and Hathaway all start snuffing it.

With Dame Angela and Marsha Hunt gone, Ann Blyth is arguably the last 1940s “star”, and even she wasn’t as big as Angela. 

Janis Paige is debatable; definitely well-known but not a star. More like a character actress.

8 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

But, Dean Stockwell died before Sidney Poitier.

I meant that they didn’t considered Poitier as a Golden Age actor.

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Imaging the same in 50 years when Hanks, Pitt and Hathaway all start snuffing it.

50 years ? You think that Tom Hanks will live to 120 years and Pitt to 110 ?

Well, who knows…

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

50 years ? You think that Tom Hanks will live to 120 years and Pitt to 110 ?

Well, who knows…

Perhaps he meant Colin :evil2:

• Haha 1

I was being deliberately vague on the timeline, ya sods! :lol:

• Haha 1

I don’t know if it’s the right topic to ask, but is there a Star Wars cast topic ? I searched but I couldn’t find it

If this works as a general guide the living Oscar nominees who were nominated in the 40s and 50s are:

Ann Blyth (1945 - the last survivor from the 1940s).

1950s

Nancy Olson (1950)

Lee Grant (1951)

Terry Moore (1952)

Leslie Caron (1953)

Eva Marie Saint (1954)

Marisa Pavan (1955)

Don Murray (1956)

Carroll Baker (1956)

Patty McCormack (1956)

Joanne Woodward (1957)

Russ Tamblyn (1957)

Shirley MacLaine (1958)

Susan Kohner (1959)

The vast majority of these were nominated in the supporting categories where during the early years the younger generations used to get nominated (nowadays it tends to be older people nominated in supporting) if we're judging their level of fame.

Either way...not many left at all and only Caron, Baker, Woodward & MacLaine are the only leading nominees left. And only MacLaine and Woodward had multiple nominations in decades outside the 50s (MacLaine in the 60s, 70s and 80s and Woodward in 60s, 70s and 90s). Caron only got one more in the early 60s.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what year American actress Julie Sommars was born?

Some sources say 1940, others 1941, others 1942. 

9 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Does anyone know what year American actress Julie Sommars was born?

Some sources say 1940, others 1941, others 1942. 

Born on April 15, 1940 in Dodge County, Nebraska.

The confused 1941 birth year probably arises from the fact that her baptism record is the first result that comes up when you search for her on Ancestry (she was baptised March 23, 1941).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Born on April 15, 1940 in Dodge County, Nebraska.

The confused 1941 birth year probably arises from the fact that her baptism record is the first result that comes up when you search for her on Ancestry (she was baptised March 23, 1941).

Thank you, yes, I thought it was 1941 because she was apparently 15 when she auditioned for Saint Joan in 1956, as reported in the below article. Seberg was reportedly cast in the role in September of that year, so that was when the audition took place.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-10-24-ca-756-story.html

1086128878_ZiaMohyeddinLawrenceofArabia(1962).jpg.915fb737b2edaa649fed0ce9672054c9.jpg

British-Pakistani actor Zia Mohyeddin (wikidead at 91.

Michel Ray (wiki, b. 1944) and John Dimech (IMDb, b. 1943) are now the only surviving actors to have appeared in "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962).

Ray refuses to talk about his time in the film, and Dimech lives in Malta but is very elusive according to this.

985067847_MichelRayLawrenceofArabia(1962).jpg.b20b0f935040c5df145184cd2029f7d6.jpg1623097252_JohnDimechLawrenceofArabia(1962).jpg.55a729a3805c717c0e62f9b5d5dea4a7.jpg

• Like 3

Austin Majors, a former child actor who worked from the late 90s to the late 00s, and whose best role was as Theo Sipowicz on NYPD Blue, has died. He was 27.  Majors was found at a homeless shelter. It's believed he'd taken fentanyl.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/breaking-former-child-nypd-blue-29208804

• Like 6
  • Shocked 2

13 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Austin Majors, a former child actor who worked from the late 90s to the late 00s, and whose best role was as Theo Sipowicz on NYPD Blue, has died. He was 27.  Majors was found at a homeless shelter. It's believed he'd taken fentanyl.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/breaking-former-child-nypd-blue-29208804

He also voiced young Jim Hawkins on Disney 2003 animated film Treasure Planet and also on 2006 The Ant Bully.

Other television appearances were Desperate Housewives, American Dad and ER.

• Like 2