Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

Seems a trend for Hollywood directors to go in their early 80s recently. Someone might want to pick Brian De Palma!

• Like 1

Virginia Patton (wiki), American actress turned businesswoman and one of the few surviving cast members of “It’s A Wonderful Life” (1946), dead at 97.

CA51B8B6-D0F0-4B00-A0E0-9DC19A64497A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

Crikey!

After Helen Grayco's death this morning I was looking up at the surviving actresses from the Golden Age of Hollywood and thought "This damn Virginia Patton will never die!"

Also read her wiki page and noticed she retired in the 40s.

• Like 3

Shame. It was nice to have one of the speaking cast from one of my favourite 40s films still with us.

Just now, msc said:

Shame. It was nice to have one of the speaking cast from one of my favourite 40s films still with us.

I'm surprised she was a DDP miss though. 

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm surprised she was a DDP miss though. 

So am I! 

But then my oldies team only has 20 spots and about 120 contenders. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

So am I! 

But then my oldies team only has 20 spots and about 120 contenders. 

Are you edging towards using names from  the other 100  for your Oldies  team in next year's  DDP ? It can be so hard deciding to ditch names to take a gamble on others! I just couldn't bring myself to drop golden era actress Jacqueline White!

40 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Virginia Patton (wiki), American actress turned businesswoman and one of the few surviving cast members of “It’s A Wonderful Life” (1946), dead at 97.

CA51B8B6-D0F0-4B00-A0E0-9DC19A64497A.jpeg

I am so very sad to read this, but realistically, 97 is a quite fabulous age to reach. Poor Carl Switzer did not get anywhere close.

Her role in the film is small but significant, and is one of the key moments in the film when George Bailey realises his future will always remain in Bedford Falls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I am so very sad to read this, but realistically, 97 is a quite fabulous age to reach. Poor Carl Switzer did not get anywhere close.

Her role in the film is small but significant, and is one of the key moments in the film when George Bailey realises his future will always remain in Bedford Falls.

You sound quite the film buff! Way before my time but I do think there was something incredibly  special about  Hollywood films from the 1930s -1950s. Utterly  unique.  My nan loved  Barbara Stanwyck and Bette Davis and she babysat me a lot and had these on !

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You sound quite the film buff! Way before my time but I do think there was something incredibly  special about  Hollywood films from the 1930s -1950s. Utterly  unique.  My nan loved  Barbara Stanwyck and Bette Davis and she babysat me a lot and had these on !

It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film ever by miles. I'm only really a film buff with Jimmy Stewart films.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite film ever by miles. I'm only really a film buff with Jimmy Stewart films.

It's easily in my top 10 too. (And among many other things to enjoy about it, I do like how it broke the Hays Code and got away with it... because the powers that be didn't notice!) Jimmy Stewart's another favourite but then he is in many of the films I love - Rear Window, Harvey, etc.

5 hours ago, MILFHunterGMan said:

One to keep an eye on is Joe Pesci. He looked extremely frail at a recent charity golf tournament.

this year has been a bad year for goodfellas

On 23/08/2022 at 20:31, MILFHunterGMan said:

One to keep an eye on is Joe Pesci. He looked extremely frail at a recent charity golf tournament.

He's just joined the cast of a new half-hour sitcom as a series regular, so I doubt he's in bad shape.

I assume this is the charity golf tournament you're referring to? He looks like your standard near-octogenarian IMO.

Can't see it anywhere but apologies if "Dunn" - L.Q. Jones, a Sam Peckinpah favourite, has died aged 94, back in July. A Silver Screen II pick, incidentally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time said:

Can't see it anywhere but apologies if "Dunn" - L.Q. Jones, a Sam Peckinpah favourite, has died aged 94, back in July. A Silver Screen II pick, incidentally.

He was mentioned at the time. Admittedly it's a tricky name for the search engine to pick up.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, time said:

:clivedunn:

He was big as fuck, this forum should have been destroyed if he was not mentioned!

Incidentally, speaking of the Hays Code, @Gooseberry Crumble might like the story of how Hitchcock got around the Code when he wanted to show a lengthy kiss between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, but the rules limited the number of seconds it could be shown on screen. So he set it up so every three seconds there was a pause in the onscreen action, so that the scene had to be accepted by censors as it followed the rules to the letter! :D

(I have no idea when I wrote this, it just showed up in the Reply bit saved. Hope you appreciate this "saved" lost post, Mr Crumble.)

Anyhow, LQ Jones was mourned at the time - among many many great bits on his CV, he had one of the great cameo roles in Columbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drol said:

:clivedunn:

He was big as fuck, this forum should have been destroyed if he was not mentioned!

@Gooseberry Crumble/Joan Collins, can you confirm or deny?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Incidentally, speaking of the Hays Code, @Gooseberry Crumble might like the story of how Hitchcock got around the Code when he wanted to show a lengthy kiss between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, but the rules limited the number of seconds it could be shown on screen. So he set it up so every three seconds there was a pause in the onscreen action, so that the scene had to be accepted by censors as it followed the rules to the letter! :D

(I have no idea when I wrote this, it just showed up in the Reply bit saved. Hope you appreciate this "saved" lost post, Mr Crumble.)

Anyhow, LQ Jones was mourned at the time - among many many great bits on his CV, he had one of the great cameo roles in Columbo.

Thanks! Oh I always appreciate a man who makes an effort especially when he is trying really hard!!

Not sure what thread to put this in,but this one seems appropriate enough

The 94 year celebrity Sex Therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer was at the Serena Williams Us Open tennis match,imo looks really well for her age. Could easily see her becoming a Centenarian.

Actress and model Charlbi Dean, who is perhaps most famous for her role as Syonide on the CW comic book series Black Lighning, died at 32 years:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/30/south-african-actress-charlbi-dean-dead-dies/

As a model, she has done shoots for Elle, Glamour, Cosmopolitan and more.  She made her film acting debut in the comedy Spud in 2010. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Actress and model Charlbi Dean, who is perhaps most famous for her role as Syonide on the CW comic book series Black Lighning, died at 32 years:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/30/south-african-actress-charlbi-dean-dead-dies/

As a model, she has done shoots for Elle, Glamour, Cosmopolitan and more.  She made her film acting debut in the comedy Spud in 2010. 

Now she's had her chips!

• Like 3