Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

his work in human resources in media and entertainment

Sorry, but that expression always makes me think of Soylent Green.

• Haha 2

American  actor Michael  Nader, nephew of Hollywood golden era actor George  Nader has died aged 76.

He was most famous in the UK for his role as Dex Dexter  as the onscreen  lover of Alexis Colby played by the shows anchor  Joan Collins. 

American soap fans will also know him from daytime soap All my children. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-nader-star-children-dynasty-174144606.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

By popular demand, Screen Actors Guild Presidents since the earliest living (Nolan):

Kathleen Nolan (1933-) 1975-1979. Kate McCoy in Real McCoys.

William Schallert (1922-2016) 1979-1981. Character actor with a long career.

Ed Asner (1929-2021) 1981-1985. Lou Grant in Mary Tyler Moore show.

Patty Duke (1946-2016) 1985-1988. Known from The Miracle Worker, also had her own show.

Barry Gordon (1948-) 1988-1995, longest serving. Talk show host, actor and voice actor.

Richard Masur (1948-) 1995-1999.

William Daniels (1927-) 1999-2001. Mark Craig in St. Elsewhere.

Melissa Gilbert (1964-) 2001-2005. Child actress, known from Little House in the Prairie.

Alan Rosenberg (1950-) 2005-2009. Civil Wars and L. A. Law.

Ken Howard (1944-2016) 2009-2012. Last President, merged with AFTRA in 2012, after which he was SAG-AFTRA's first National President until his death in 2016.

Nolan and Daniels are over 15 years older than all the other living ones, latest public appearance of Nolan I could find shows her walking with a stick and supported by her son.

Gilbert has been addicted to drugs and alcohol, spine-related surgery in 2010, had an accident in 2012 in which she suffered neck and head injuries that apparently still affect her.

• Like 1

Report of the death of Peggy Farrell, part of the costume department on such films as The Stepford Wives and Dog Day Afternoonhttps://eu.starnewsonline.com/story/news/2021/08/31/emmy-winning-wilmington-nc-costume-designer-peggy-farrell-dies-age-89/5650772001/

Became a costume designer on TV, winning Emmys for The Young Indiana Chronicles and Holocaust.

Report handily gives a date of birth and death, information IMDB is missing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Destined to be mainly remembered as the voice of Knight Rider's car.

I'd make a good argument for his roles as John Adams in 1776 and Mr. Feeny on Boy Meets World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to have to start checking the Instagram page of film historians Austin and Howard Mutti-Mewse more often because they seem to be in the know about everything that the media is not. I've only gone back through their posts from the last 2 months, and already I've found another 2 names whose deaths haven't been mentioned anywhere else.

Firstly a big name. June Kenney (wiki). Known for her roles in b-movies around the 50s. Romantically linked with Rock Hudson (lol) and Tab Hunter (lol). The internet has her YOB as 1933. Looks like in reality she was born in 1930 and was 90 at the time of her death on June 25th 2021.

Secondly, a more obscure one.

Patricia Redpath (IMDb) had one title role (also her only credit it would seem) in the 1942 Western "Rodeo Rhythm".

She died in Kansas City, Missouri in January 2021 at the age of 95.

When time allows, I'll go through their older posts to see if there's any other notable mentions.

As I said, these guys are in the know. Also broke the deaths of Patricia Marmont and Vera Fusek. Worth keeping a watchful eye on their page.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Michael Constantine, an Emmy Award-winning actor and co-star of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, has died. He was 94. Constantine won his award for the TV series Room 222. A DDP pick, too.

https://www.readingeagle.com/2021/09/08/michael-constantine-reading-native-dies-actor-my-big-fat-greek-wedding/

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory marks its 50th anniversary this year. 4 of it's child stars (Paris Themmen, Michael Bollner, Julie Dawn Cole and Peter Ostrum) are still alive and are in their 60s while only one Oompa Loompa (Rusty Goffe, now in his 70s) is left standing. They could be good picks to consider for a death pool team.

15 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory marks its 50th anniversary this year. 4 of it's child stars (Paris Themmen, Michael Bollner, Julie Dawn Cole and Peter Ostrum) are still alive and are in their 60s while only one Oompa Loompa (Rusty Goffe, now in his 70s) is left standing. They could be good picks to consider for a death pool team.

1) Albert Wilkinson (b. 1938) played an Oompa Loompa and is also still alive. His last credit on IMDb was as recent as 2017, and he does the panto circuit.

2) Why would they make a good "death pool" team? Themmen, Bollner etc. are only in their early 60s and still very active, attending lots of conventions. Peter Ostrum looks great in fact!

• Like 1

Actor Art Metrano, known as Lt./Capt./Cmdt. Mauser in the second and third installments of the Police Academy franchise, died at 84 years:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/art-metrano-dead-police-academy-stand-up-comic-1235010490/

He also had roles in films such as the original The Heartbreak Kid and Warhead.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Actor Art Metrano, known as Lt./Capt./Cmdt. Mauser in the second and third installments of the Police Academy franchise, died at 84 years:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/art-metrano-dead-police-academy-stand-up-comic-1235010490/

He also had roles in films such as the original The Heartbreak Kid and Warhead.

One of those instantly recognisable faces, even if the name isn't immediately familiar. He'd be a guy I'd see in a movie/programme and be scrabbling for IMDb to see where I know him from.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 12:24, alt obits guy said:

Larry Gelman, a character actor with over a 50 year Hollywood career, with multiple appearances on TV shows including The Odd Couple, The Bob Newhart Show, Maude, Eight is Enough and Barney Miller, as well as individual appearances on series like Touched by an Angel and ER, has died. He was 90. One of his Barney Miller appearances nabbed him an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Drama Series.

https://www.newsfromme.com/2021/06/08/larry-gelman-r-i-p/

Did this ever get a QO?

On 10/09/2021 at 13:54, markb4 said:

Did this ever get a QO?

Nope. Not even any coverage from Variety, the Hollywood Reporter etc.

A big problem has arisen with Hollywood types lately – The Hollywood Reporter abandoned its obituaries section earlier this year, and when I've pinged them suggestions via the Tips page, they just get ignored by Mike Barnes (who is a bit of a dick and never responds; he writes the articles about celebs passing). It's clear that THR is now more interested in creating clickbait type content and woke nonsense focusing on controversial comments some star has made, or how represented black actors are on screen etc.

They've abandoned their traditional style of being the single most dependable source for chronicling historic Hollywood and ensuring that those who worked in the industry for decades with 100s of credits do not die in obscurity.

Sad really, but I think this is the start of a lot of passings in this field going unnoticed. Marcy McGuire, June Kenney, Larry Gelman probably won't get write ups elsewhere now, because THR haven't covered it from the onset in order to bring the news to the attention of other media.

People may want to be careful for the DDP next year. I expect a lot of these Golden Age Hollywood types to die off radar now.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nope. Not even any coverage from Variety, the Hollywood Reporter etc.

A big problem has arisen with Hollywood types lately – The Hollywood Reporter abandoned its obituaries section earlier this year, and when I've pinged them suggestions via the Tips page, they just get ignored by Mike Barnes (who is a bit of a dick and never responds; he writes the articles about celebs passing). It's clear that THR is now more interested in creating clickbait type content and woke nonsense focusing on controversial comments some star has made, or how represented black actors are on screen etc.

They've abandoned their traditional style of being the single most dependable source for chronicling historic Hollywood and ensuring that those who worked in the industry for decades with 100s of credits do not go die in obscurity.

Sad really, but I think this is the start of a lot of passings in this field going unnoticed. Marcy McGuire, June Kenney, Larry Gelman probably won't get write ups elsewhere now, because THR haven't covered it from the onset in order to bring the news to the attention of other media.

People may want to be careful for the DDP next year. I expect a lot of these Golden Age Hollywood types to die off radar now.

Truly sad indeed.

I guess the closest thing to a QO for Larry Gelman will be his grave marker?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/228306358/larry-gelman

16 minutes ago, markb4 said:

Truly sad indeed.

I guess the closest thing to a QO for Larry Gelman will be his grave marker?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/228306358/larry-gelman

It should be, because there's even a picture of the bloody grave but Wiki are so anti-FindAGrave.

Hopefully SAG-AFTRA will include him in their list of departed entertainers in their autumn issue.

Just been through their summer release. I will post a summary of the more notable names on it tomorrow. There's one or two off radar deaths on there, nobody particularly exciting though.

• Like 1

Went through the SAG-AFTRA Magazine Summer issue. Here are the names who died in 2021 who have a Wiki page:

*names in red are passings not covered on DL Forums up until now.

Rod Arrants (wiki), 76, actor (The Young and the Restless, Days of Our Lives, Rent)
Lisa Banes (wiki), 65, actress (Cocktail, Freedom Writers, Gone Girl)
Ned Beatty (wiki), 83, actor (Deliverance, All the President's Men, Superman, Toy Story 3)
Frank Bonner (wiki), 79, actor (WKRP in Cincinnati, Equinox) and television director
Martin Bookspan (wiki), 94, announcer (Live From Lincoln Center, Live From the Met)
Ed Bruce (wiki), 81, country singer-songwriter and actor (Public Enemies, Country Strong)
Johnny Crawford (wiki), 75, actor (The Rifleman) and singer
Stuart Damon (wiki), 84, actor (General Hospital, The Champions)
Lois de Banzie (wiki), 90, actress (Naked Gun 33 1/3, Annie, Addams Family Values)
DMX (wiki), 50, rapper and actor (Exit Wounds, Cradle 2 the Grave, Romeo Must Die)
Olympia Dukakis (wiki), 89, actress (Moonstruck, Steel Magnolias, In the Land of Women), director and producer
Mark Elliott (wiki), 81, voice-over artist (Tangled, Lilo & Stitch)
John Gabriel (wiki), 90, actor (Ryan's Hope, The Untouchables, El Dorado)
Simone Gad (wiki), 73, actress (Eating L.A., Speed, A Dark Foe)
Arlene Golonka (wiki), 85, actress (The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry R.F.D.)
Craig "muMs" Grant (wiki), 52, actor (Oz, Dark Water)
Charles Grodin (wiki), 86, actor (Midnight Run, The Heartbreak Kid, King Kong, Beethoven) and comedian
Marvelous Marvin Hagler (wiki), 66, professional boxer and actor (Indio, Indio 2)
James Hampton (wiki), 84, actor (F Troop, The Doris Day Show, Love American Style, The Longest Yard, Teen Wolf) and director
Billie Hayes (wiki), 96, actress (The Black Cauldron, Pufnstuf, Shrek Forever After, Johnny Bravo)
Gloria Henry (wiki), 98, actress (Dennis the Menace, Air Hostess, Law of the Barbary Coast)
Chuck Hicks (wiki), 93, actor (Dick Tracy, Legion, The Ring) and stuntman (Star Trek II, Runaway Train)
Betty Lou Holland (wiki), 95, actress (Johnny Belinda, The Man in the Net, Love Story)
John Hora (wiki), 80, cinematographer (Gremlins, The Howling, Gremlins 2) and actor (Innerspace, Honey I Blew Up the Kid)
Robert Hogan (wiki), 87, actor (Another World, The Wire, Batman, Gunsmoke, Law & Order, Species II)
Amy Johnston (wiki), 66, actress (The Buddy Holly Story, Charlie's Angels)
Nathan Jung (wiki), 74, actor (Big Trouble in Little China, Darkman)
Bruce Kirby (wiki), 95, actor (Days of Our Lives, Kojak, Columbo, The Muppet Movie, Hogan's Heroes, Stand by Me)
Tawny Kitaen (wiki), 59, actress (Bachelor Party, Gwendoline, After Midnight) and model
Joe Krebs (wik), 78, news anchor (NBC-4 WRC-TV)
Tommy Lasorda (wiki), 93, baseball player and manager and actor (Homeward Bound II, Hart to Hart, Ladybugs)
G. Gordon Liddy (wiki), 90, lawyer, FBI agent and actor (Rules of Engagement, 18 Wheels of Justice, Street Asylum)
Joanne Linville (wiki), 93, actress (Star Trek, Barnaby Jones, The Twilight Zone, Dynasty)
Norman Lloyd (wiki), 106, actor (Dead Poets Society, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Age of Innocence, Spellbound)
Ray MacDonnell (wiki), 93, actor (All My Children, Dick Tracy)
Gavin MacLeod (wiki), 90, actor (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Kelly's Heroes, The Party, The Love Boat)
Frank McRae (wiki), 80, actor (Licence to Kill, Loaded Weapon I, Last Action Hero)
Roger Mudd (wiki), 93, broadcast journalist (CBS, NBC, The History Channel)
Trisha Noble (wiki), 76, singer and actress (Star Wars Episode III, Out of the Unknown, Z-Cars)
Walter Olkewicz (wiki), 72, actor (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Twin Peaks, The Client)
Christopher Pennock (wiki), 76, actor (Dark Shadows, General Hospital)
Howard Schnellenberger (wiki), 87, American football coach and commentator (NBC, CBC, ESPN)
Felix Silla (wiki), 84, actor (Spaceballs, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi) and stuntman (The Golden Child, Poltergeist)
Joseph Siravo (wiki), 66, actor (The Sopranos, Carlito's Way, American Crime Story)
Quindon Tarver (wiki), 38, singer (Romeo + Juliet)
B.J. Thomas (wiki), 78, singer (Spider-Man 2, Forrest Gump, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle)
Buddy Van Horn (wiki), 92, stunt coordinator (Outbreak, In the Line of Fire) and director (The Deadpool)
Isela Vega (wiki), 81, actress (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Lovers of the Lord of the Night) and singer
Erica Watson (wiki), 48, actress (Precious, Dirty Laundry)
Clarence Williams III (wiki), 81, actor (The General's Daughter, Reindeer Games, Purple Rain, Half Baked, The Mod Squad)

If I remember to, I'll do this quarterly with the release of each SAG-AFTRA issue.

Need some help with one name who appeared in this issue. The date of death given was 4th November 2016 and the name is Jeanette Miller. Is this THE Jeanette Miller (b. 1932, wikiIMDb) who appeared as Aunt Edie in The Middle, as well as Norbit, Legion, The Truman Show etc. and was active until 2015? It would appear so but I need some kind of linking evidence to get Wiki/IMDb updated appropriately.

• Like 7

On 13/04/2021 at 01:00, arghton said:

DeMille also had cameos in:

Glamour Boy (1941), only alive actor is Darryl Hickman (born 1931)

Looked great in 2016, aged 85:

Can't find anything from the last two years, but according to people on twitter he still attends Classic Film Festivals.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Went through the SAG-AFTRA Magazine Summer issue. Here are the names who died in 2021 who have a Wiki page:

Any sign of John Petlock in recent issues?