Guest Peter

Elton John

29 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, after he has surgery his last your will be mainly hip-op, then :facepalm:

Just constant encores of I'm Still Standing I should think. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Just constant encores of I'm Still Standing I should think. 

Well, to be serious for a minute - Ozzy Osbourne is on the third attempt to stage the same tour and nobody believes it'll happen. Elton isn't in the best shape and there's a veritable fuck-tonne of gigs on that schedule. 

Many of these ageing rockers were well acquainted with old Charlie for many years, however much Botox they've done since, the mileage on their bodies has likely built up internally. 

Just sayin'

Back at Number 1 in the UK Singles Chart for the first time in 16 years with his collaboration with Dua Lipa, for the yoof, who can't listen to 3 whole 4-minute songs, so now consume them in a mash-up instead. *Sigh* (I don't hate it, but I don't love it).

In more positive news, he becomes the first artist in chart history to have a Top 10 single in 6 different decades. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58933279

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Back at Number 1 in the UK Singles Chart for the first time in 16 years with his collaboration with Dua Lipa, for the yoof, who can't listen to 3 whole 4-minute songs, so now consume them in a mash-up instead. *Sigh* (I don't hate it, but I don't love it).

In more positive news, he becomes the first artist in chart history to have a Top 10 single in 6 different decades. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58933279

do hate it. It’s two songs that were brilliant, ruined by mashing them up with a generic school disco pop backing track, near Cher levels of auto tune for Elton, and Dua Lipa who’s very much at her best doing her own thing rather than bastardising someone else’s.

Fabulous achievement though, can’t take that away from him.

Someone give Kim Wilde's contact details to one of the current chart favourites, she's long overdue a number one hit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Someone give Kim Wilde's contact details to one of the current chart favourites, she's long overdue a number one hit. 

Or Depeche Mode.

Or Tina Turner.

Or R.E M. 

Or Janet Jackson.

None of them had a No.1 on the UK singles charts. 

3 minutes ago, Book said:

Or Depeche Mode.

Or Tina Turner.

Or R.E M. 

Or Janet Jackson.

None of them had a No.1 on the UK singles charts. 

True. But Wilde was rather infamously robbed of a number one in 1981 by the charts company refusing to count  sales of Kids in America during its first week of sales, because they assumed it had to be fraud. (It sold over half a million singles in less than 2 months for example.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, msc said:

True. But Wilde was rather infamously robbed of a number one in 1981 by the charts company refusing to count  sales of Kids in America during its first week of sales, because they assumed it had to be fraud. (It sold over half a million singles in less than 2 months for example.)

Ah ok. Didn't know that.

Then Kim for No. 1 of course! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Yeah but...

Foul play was a regular part of pop singles sales back then, most labels - especially those focused on singles like RAK - knew where the chart return shops were and LOADS of singles were hyped in this manner. The Wiki page points out foul play was "suspected" it doesn't come down either way on whether the suspicions had a basis. There are a few cases in which singles were hyped and the labels themselves didn't realize they were sitting on winners capable of charting without help. Friend of a friend stuff so maybe nowt but I did hear a story that one bunch of pluggers were intercepted on their way to hype a single - David Cassidy's The Last Kiss - because it was flying out of shops legitimately and selling well ahead of expectations. 

Impressive sales or not nobody's suggesting the new release and its attendant radio play would have put it at #1 in that first week. 

Shakin' Stevens kept her off the top with This Ole House which sold well enough to the #5 single over the whole of 1981. 

Bangin' tune, mind!

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah but...

Foul play was a regular part of pop singles sales back then, most labels - especially those focused on singles like RAK - knew where the chart return shops were and LOADS of singles were hyped in this manner. The Wiki page points out foul play was "suspected" it doesn't come down either way on whether the suspicions had a basis. There are a few cases in which singles were hyped and the labels themselves didn't realize they were sitting on winners capable of charting without help. Friend of a friend stuff so maybe nowt but I did hear a story that one bunch of pluggers were intercepted on their way to hype a single - David Cassidy's The Last Kiss - because it was flying out of shops legitimately and selling well ahead of expectations. 

Impressive sales or not nobody's suggesting the new release and its attendant radio play would have put it at #1 in that first week. 

Shakin' Stevens kept her off the top with This Ole House which sold well enough to the #5 single over the whole of 1981. 

Bangin' tune, mind!

Apparently it was selling legit (according to the BBC 1981 documentary!) but it was because she was an unknown that was selling so highly. It had been in the lower reaches of the charts for a week or two before it got close to the top 40 so I guess it was the 1981 equivalent of going viral... iirc it was the week Shaddup you Face was still number 1 that she would have been if they hadn't discounted a bunch of her sales for "security", not Shakin Stevens which was later. 

Still, many of the acts mentioned on this page had no UK number one, but Joe Dolce has. Democracy for you, eh!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Apparently it was selling legit (according to the BBC 1981 documentary!) but it was because she was an unknown that was selling so highly. It had been in the lower reaches of the charts for a week or two before it got close to the top 40 so I guess it was the 1981 equivalent of going viral... iirc it was the week Shaddup you Face was still number 1 that she would have been if they hadn't discounted a bunch of her sales for "security", not Shakin Stevens which was later. 

Still, many of the acts mentioned on this page had no UK number one, but Joe Dolce has. Democracy for you, eh!

When I picked Joe Dolce for my theme team a few years ago, I was hoping for the DDP headline:

Dolce Late.

Ah, times when I thought I could get a hit ever.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah but...

Bangin' tune, mind!

Wasn't Shaky the biggest selling singles artist of the 80's?

I'm talking about UK sales. I'm sure I heard it on the TV.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Wasn't Shaky the biggest selling singles artist of the 80's?

I'm talking about UK sales. I'm sure I heard it on the TV.

Tbh I wouldn't have known and would have guessed Madonna, at least, topped him along with - possibly - Jacko

But you're bang on LFN - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/abyss89/the_100_biggest_acts_of_the_80s_in_the_u_k_/

• Thanks 1

Got some award from the eternal crown prince, looking decent I guess, walking with a crutch though.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

That's very "Last tour of Michael Jackson"

I can see him doing a Tommy Cooper and dying on stage. 

• Like 2

Galling that I had to log in for this.

Sir Elton John tested positive for Covid.

Didn't know about his epilepsy either, until I read his imdb profile.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Now, dear Paul Reader, come and tell me that no one cares.

I do care. But not about your opinion. Or your facepalm emojis.

:blink:

3 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

:blink:

Last time I came here to report that Ed Sheeran tested positive for Covid.

Paul Bearer (sorry for getting his name wrong) replied: "No one cares".

No way to treat members who contribute imho.

8 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Last time I came here to report that Ed Sheeran tested positive for Covid.

Paul Bearer (sorry for getting his name wrong) replied: "No one cares".

No way to treat members who contribute imho.

That response might’ve been more because of how shitty Ed Sheeran’s music than anything else

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Isn't that what happened with Prince? 

It looks like the issue here is more related to the plane rather than Elton himself

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It looks like the issue here is more related to the plane rather than Elton himself

That’s normally how it works……

Patsy Cline - issue related to plane rather than Patsy herself

Buddy Holly - issue related to plane rather than Buddy himself

John Denver - issue related to plane rather than John himself

etc

etc

• Like 1