Sign in to follow this  
Guest Death List Observer

Claiborne Pell

Guest Death List Observer

Claiborne Pell (b. November 22, 1918) is a former Democratic United States Senator from Rhode Island. A prominent liberal, Pell is well known in the United States for his role in the establishment of Pell Grants. A New England "blue-blood," Pell, 86, should be considered for the 2006 list.

Never heard of him, or Eugene McCarthy for that matter. Why not put them in the "Ideas and Possibilities" thread instead of starting a new thread every time?

Never heard of him, or Eugene McCarthy for that matter. Why not put them in the "Ideas and Possibilities" thread instead of starting a new thread every time?

...aside from the fact that he's extremely healthy for his age and still very active (old thread, I know, but it's a little slow doing what I'm doing here)

Former US Senator Clairborne Pell, 90, is suffering from advanced parkinson's disease. Wikipedia claims he is one of the most popular US Senator's of the 20th century and he served as Senator for nearly forty years. I originally had other plans for him but since DL has had US politicians in the past I believe Pell to be a strong choice. Here is a picture from two or three years ago.

Who's Basil D' Oliveira again?

Are we in Don Wittman territory here, guaranteed death, chancey UK obit?

Former US Senator Clairborne Pell, 90, is suffering from advanced parkinson's disease. Wikipedia claims he is one of the most popular US Senator's of the 20th century and he served as Senator for nearly forty years. I originally had other plans for him but since DL has had US politicians in the past I believe Pell to be a strong choice. Here is a picture from two or three years ago.

Who's Basil D' Oliveira again?

I'll Grant you that old Clair might pass at some time, but only being in his 90s and from long line of politicians, it's a hard call. Once you hit 90 there's a sense of desire to push towards 95 or even 100.

The son and the grandson of politicians, Clairborne De Borda Pell is responsible for the Pell Grant a nifty little item which helps towards ensuring higher education for the lower incomed peoples of the U.S. Check him out on NNDB to learn more about him (or just google it).

I didn't notice anything on his health; however, his son died a few years ago so he may stick around to finish off his life span. Was he popular? Perhaps among mechanics :) (I'm sure you've heard of Popular Mechanics magazine) and he was one of the longest serving. Pietro 'Pete' Domenici is currently looking to beat him out by a few days in Senatorial lasting.

and now let us all join in singing this little ditty about him.... (as voiced by our very own Bansheees Screams) with the lyrics from the supposedly talented Ray "Filbert" or "Gilbert" O'Sullivan....

Clair, the moment I met you I swear

I felt as if something somewhere

Had happened to me

Which I couldn't see

And then

The moment I met you again

I knew in my heart we were friends

It had to be so

It couldn't be no

But try as hard as I might do I don't know why

You get to me in a way I can't describe

Words mean so little when you look up and smile

I don't care what people say,

To me you're more than a child

Oh! Clair, Clair

Clair, if ever a moment so rare

Was captured for all to compare

That moment is you

It's all that you do

But why in spite of our age difference do I cry

Each time I leave you I feel I could die

Nothing means more to me than hearing you say

I'm going to marry you

Will you marry me Uncle Ray?

Oh! Clair, Clair

Clair, I've told you before

Don't you dare

Get back into bed

Can't you see that it's late

No you can't have a drink

Oh! all right then but wait just a bit

While I, in an effort to baby sit,

Catch of my breath what there is left of it.

You can be murder at this hour of the day

But in the morning this hour

Will seem a lifetime away

Oh! Clair, Clair

Oh damned! I dropped chocolate on my keyboard and it melted. Pardon me while I lick it off......

And yes Barney=--->>>>Who is Basil Koshel?

Are we in Don Wittman territory here, guaranteed death, chancey UK obit?

He'll get a UK obit, on the strength of the Pell Grant alone. Including interweb there must be 100 mainstream media outlets in the UK, all desperate for any nugget of news to print.

Regardless, he won't be getting picked.

I agree CR, he will not be picked

Bad move. He died shortly after midnight today.

Pell, you could just tell. He was a strong choice and this is what the committee gets when you don't listen to the Master Mind. I offered him to Deathlist since I didn't have the space.

Leaving him off my DDP team was one mistake and believe me I don't think I'll make many.

Pell, you could just tell. He was a strong choice and this is what the committee gets when you don't listen to the Master Mind. I offered him to Deathlist since I didn't have the space.

Leaving him off my DDP team was one mistake and believe me I don't think I'll make many.

Very modest, as always Banshees